Thread: Some more welding art....

Post Thanks / Like

Some more welding art....

I just spent a while going through SWells' truck thread....freaking ridiculous! The time, patience, and (most importantly) skill that is into that project is unreal!

I started my own welding shop last year, and the majority of what I do is smaller scale welded metal art. I do each piece one off, nothing is produced in any sort of quantity. It's actually more of a hobby on steroids right now, but it's going pretty good.

I've got a TON of pics on my site(www.browndogwelding.com), here are a few of the small sculptures.

-Josh

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some more welding art....

really cool stuff. I love the 3rd one. got a high res version of that?

Post Thanks / Like

I just spent a while going through your web site, the imagination, creativity, cool builds and shear volume of your work is freaking ridiculious...couldn't resist. Nice work, I hope your business treats you well, I may borrow some of your ideas. Welcome to the site!
    If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Really cool site. You defiantly got some skills. I do some of that kind of stuff myself and like you I was lucky enough to work at a shop with some journeymen welders and learned tons from those old guys. Good luck with your business.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic!I‘ll see is there anything around I can do....just now!
    Last edited by xixiubin; 03-01-2009 at 08:33 AM.
    Just call me Robin

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work mind if i steal a few ideas?Also a couple pics of my deathrow reprievers
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work Jdustu! Could you elaborate a little more into your equipment, techniques, and tips you might share.

Do you own a cnc plasma cutting machine? What type of welder do you use?
    As artsy as it looks a lot of your work seems to be very precision orientated.
    You have a talent!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWells View Post
    I just spent a while going through your web site, the imagination, creativity, cool builds and shear volume of your work is freaking ridiculious...couldn't resist. Nice work, I hope your business treats you well, I may borrow some of your ideas. Welcome to the site!
    Thanks for checking it out! Sorry for the parlance, "freaking ridiculous" is a high compliment There is quite a bit of stuff on there, and I update it pretty regularly. Other than the first 4 bikes and a couple other things(like the tractor), it's almost all from the last year

Quote Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
    Basically the pics I have are in my photo gallery...I've got an old point and shoot digital that's pretty beat up, but it does what I need it to do!

http://flickr.com/photos/browndogwel...7607206636442/

Quote Originally Posted by toolgypsy View Post
    Awesome work mind if i steal a few ideas?Also a couple pics of my deathrow reprievers
    Go for it man. It's not like I'm the first person to do this stuff, it's always cool to see how different artists put different twists on a theme I just don't want to see any of it mass produced! Nice work with the rescue dogs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Very nice work Jdustu! Could you elaborate a little more into your equipment, techniques, and tips you might share.

Do you own a cnc plasma cutting machine? What type of welder do you use?
    As artsy as it looks a lot of your work seems to be very precision orientated.
    You have a talent!
    It's pretty simple right now. I'm a welder first, and a millwright by trade. This stuff started as a way to practice, and it kind of evolved from there. For the most part, I tig everything. I'm sure mig, or even gas welding might be more practical in some situations, but this is how I do it right now. I've got a dynasty 200dx that I use a ton. When I worked at Chrysler I used a synchrowave 350 a lot too, that machine is a beast. I don't have a plasma cutter of my own right now, but that is going to be my next purchase!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot

-Josh

Post Thanks / Like

I took it as a compliment and offered it back as the same......keep postin'!
    If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
    I'm a moron, I've got a high res version of it. I'll pm you

Post Thanks / Like

Jdustu,
    That is some really cool stuff. Love the bikes and hotrods! I am sure it is very rewarding on a personal level as well.

jrw159

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrw159 View Post
    Jdustu,
    That is some really cool stuff. Love the bikes and hotrods! I am sure it is very rewarding on a personal level as well.

jrw159
    Thanks man! It's a blast for sure, and it definitely feels great to make things that people really enjoy Not much beats the positive feedback I get from the folks who have purchased or comissioned my work, once they get to touch and see the finished product

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job
    Miller 140 w A/S
    HF Flux Core Welder
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    Smith O/A Torch

Harley Electra Glide Classic

Post Thanks / Like

nice work, I looked through your web page some of the cars seem priced a little cheap compared to the time put into making them, how long does it take to create say the mustang in pic 1?..not tobe nosey just intrested from a business perspective,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillbobb View Post
    nice work, I looked through your web page some of the cars seem priced a little cheap compared to the time put into making them, how long does it take to create say the mustang in pic 1?..not tobe nosey just intrested from a business perspective,,
    The mustang pry took close to 8 hours. The longest of any of the "hot rod" sculptures by a couple hours. The "custom" sculptures like those do cost a little more. To be honest, I charged $125 for that, and it was definitely a steal for the client! Everyone that was able to hold and look at it thought I was crazy for the price. But it was the first "replica" model I did like that, and I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Since then I've figured out that no matter how unsure of myself I am going into a project, they always seem to work out better than expected

My pricing is a work in progress. I try to base everything off of the time it takes(materials are relatively cheap in most cases). I do pretty good on most things, but you're right, my lowest margin is on the car sculptures.

Thanks for checking out my site!

Post Thanks / Like

How did you get a hole in this I have a few laying around and wanted to do the same thing just didn't know how to get a hole in them
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/browndo...7605187519547/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by landman View Post
    How did you get a hole in this I have a few laying around and wanted to do the same thing just didn't know how to get a hole in them
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/browndo...7605187519547/
    I think I had a carbide bit to go through the bottom part(it's been over a year, my memory isn't so good). I drilled from both sides and met in the middle. I had an extra long bit too, and that helped.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice stuff! I'm thinking a place here just for artwork would be cool too....I looked but couldn't find SWells link to his truck. Could someone be so kind as to re-post it? I've got a few pics of my work in my profile if anyone is interested....Thanks

maniak

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maniak View Post
    Nice stuff! I'm thinking a place here just for artwork would be cool too....I looked but couldn't find SWells link to his truck. Could someone be so kind as to re-post it? I've got a few pics of my work in my profile if anyone is interested....Thanks

maniak
    Yeah, a welded art forum would be cool....seems like a lot of talented guys are on here!

Here is "The Truck"
    http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=18000