Thread: Re-Clocking Amphenol Connector

Post Thanks / Like

Re-Clocking Amphenol Connector

I'm making a cable for a PowCon 400SMT. One end of end has a 17-pin Amphenol connector 97-3106A-20-29P. So I found what I thought was the right plug, and almost everything was right: number of pins, sex, shell size. But the plug wouldn't mate w/ the receptable on the PowCon because of a difference in pin clocking.

The plug has S (standard) clocking and the PowCon has W clocking. So my questions are:
    1) If I can get the blue insert out of the shell will it be possible to re-clock and put it back in the shell?

2) Secondly, has anyone actually had success getting the snap-ring off that apparently holds in the insert? I'm pretty good at snap-rings, but this one looks like a devil. Maybe there's an Amphenol special tool?

Thanks in advance, gents.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re-Clocking Amphenol Connector

Answered my own question.

On the body of the cylindrical plug there's a little cutout at the side of the insert. If you push the snap-ring around so its gap lines up with the cutout, it's possible to work a fine instrument screw driver under the ring. Presto.

Once the snap ring is removed, the insert comes out. You just rotate it, line up the clock-W alternate keyway on the side of the insert with the key inside the barrel, and replace it.

But wait, only the standard position keyway is relieved all along its length, the alternates all have a short unmilled section to prevent incorrect assembly. A little work with a warding file and it's Miller time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re-Clocking Amphenol Connector

Now you know you really needed to post pics for all this good info...