+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best welding Helmet ?

Post Thanks / Like

Best welding Helmet ?

OK, Money is no object.

What is universally considered to be the best Auto welding helmet on the market today ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best welding Helmet ?

Nothing is universally considered. Its all personally preference. Speedglas and the Jackson NexGen seem to come up routinely as cream of the crop, with the new Miller Elites not far behind. Optrel is often thrown into the mix as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Just buy the most expensive one you can find.

Post Thanks / Like

if money really is no object then you can get a Speedglas 9100XX from cyberweld.com for $419 or a 9002X with Flex View and Side windows for $475.

But there is no set best welding helmet, what fits joes head but not fit pauls comfortably. What might be just the right weight for simon is too heavy for jack. The only way to really find out is to go to your welding supply shop and try them on. See what you like and dont like and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive found the Speedglas to be great. I own 2 - 1 for small jobs and tacking with small view and the other with the Adflo system which keeps fumes out of your face and blows nice cool air while you weld.
    Price for Speedglas in Australia is about $600 for a low end small view and up to $2000 with the Adflo system.
    Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
    Ive found the Speedglas to be great. I own 2 - 1 for small jobs and tacking with small view and the other with the Adflo system which keeps fumes out of your face and blows nice cool air while you weld.
    Price for Speedglas in Australia is about $600 for a low end small view and up to $2000 with the Adflo system.
    Hope this helps
    Hooley Dooley !!! When i said money was no object I was thinking along the lines of about $2 - $300 !! Had no idea they could be that expensive !! WOW !!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the next gen for about three years great hood .

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Miller Digital Elite series and I love it. I've had two other auto hoods and this is by far the best one I've owned.
    Local 597 Pipefitters
    Certified stick and tig pipe welder
    Lincoln Ranger 305g - for sale
    Miller 185 mig
    Miller Digital Elite

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Optrel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schwinn68 View Post
    I've got a Miller Digital Elite series and I love it. I've had two other auto hoods and this is by far the best one I've owned.
    same here, great bucket. very light
    Lincoln 255XT Power Mig
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Hypertherm Powermax 30

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 100% Jackson EQC. I can buy whatever hood I salivate over, regardless of price, but I see no reason to have anything other than the Jackson EQC's I have been using for the last 5 years or so.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Post Thanks / Like

My pick is the Jackson EQC. Although I havnt used a Miller Elite, Ive heard those are very nice as well.
    Shake and Bake

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading all kinds of post from here to a month os sundays andI had to balance inexperience, wallet, eye safety and ease of use. I have only read good reviews fro the Northern Tools line of Auto darkening helmets. There is the TECMEN solar powered $50 unit that has 478 out of 480 positive reviews (5 out of 5), which boasts 1/ 25,000sec and giant viewing area. The next bump up is the TECMEN solar assisted/battery unit with 1/25,000 sec response, variable shade 9-13, delay, low battery indicator, manual on /auto off, giant window. Th only this is I can't find any mention of magnifier lenses for this thing. It is made by TECMEN electronics in china and made the helmet exclusively for northern tools. I paid 144$ total, with tax and shipping.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2922_200342922

Hope this helps someone.....

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

The EQC will fall into the price range you were thinking and will do a fine job. Or you can get a non adjustable AD Speed glass for that.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Man I've tried quite a few auto lids here lately in my quest for the one with the best clarity and coloration. I've used Speedglas 9002x, Miller Elite, Miller Digital Elite, Jackson Boss, and a cheapy no name. The best one by far (to me) was the Jackson Boss. It not only hard the largest viewing area but the clearest optics and best coloration. The next would probably be the Speedglas with the Miller Elite following very close behind. The thing I don't care for on the Speedglas and Miller helmets is the fact that they have a nasty greenish yellow tint to the welding arc. The Jackson however is similar to a gold fixed shade that has nice vibrant colors to differentiate the weld pool from the metal. The cheapy was junk. I would not buy it period.

What I decided to do is order the Miller fixed shade hood (MP-10) and a Jackson Nexgen EQC lens to drop in. I also ordered a second Miller to drop a trusty gold lens in. I believe I'll have the best of both worlds with the nice Miller headgear and the clarity of the Jackson lens. Good luck in your decision!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind putting one of my Jackson lenses in a Miller hood, if I didn't have to buy Miller's special curved cover lenses.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Post Thanks / Like

Yup I have a Jackson Boss in a Miller shell now... My biggest complaint is the curved "Special" cover lenses. I also have a SpeedGlas 9002x and v. I find myself reaching for the Boss most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on where you're using it too. As far as construction I started out using a nice fancy miller elite, great hood but add a hardhat and it gets to be to big and bulky its hard to get into places. Now I use an old school Fibre Metal with an auto lense I put on myself. I guess if I were to ever work in a fab shop or something like that I would go back to the Miller elite but for now my $40 Fibre metal does just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Miller Elite at work, and i have just a harbor frieght $42 dollar auto dark helmet at home, and after using the elite for 8 hours, sometimes I wish i had my harbor freight helmet. It probably wont last anywhere near as long, but it weighs about a third of the Miller helmet, so it has its advantages. If money was no object though, i would definitely go for the Miller Elite.
    My Babies:
    MillerMatic 185
    Thermal Arc 300S
    Hobart StickMate AC/DC 235/160
    Dalex Werke Spot Welder

Oh and the wife and kids are important too!

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Elite is what I have, inherited it from my father when he passed on. I was curious as to how it compared with others. So far it seems that what I have is a good one, without the need on my behalf to experiment with others. Still, I had no idea my old man had such expensive tastes. I thought it was only worth around a hundred bucks or so ?

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone comment on the plastic in the Miller Elite? I realize it's not a football helmet,
    but it seems kind of flimsy. Does it hold up over the years?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaMan View Post
    Man I've tried quite a few auto lids here lately in my quest for the one with the best clarity and coloration. I've used Speedglas 9002x, Miller Elite, Miller Digital Elite, Jackson Boss, and a cheapy no name. The best one by far (to me) was the Jackson Boss. It not only hard the largest viewing area but the clearest optics and best coloration. The next would probably be the Speedglas with the Miller Elite following very close behind. The thing I don't care for on the Speedglas and Miller helmets is the fact that they have a nasty greenish yellow tint to the welding arc. The Jackson however is similar to a gold fixed shade that has nice vibrant colors to differentiate the weld pool from the metal. The cheapy was junk. I would not buy it period.

What I decided to do is order the Miller fixed shade hood (MP-10) and a Jackson Nexgen EQC lens to drop in. I also ordered a second Miller to drop a trusty gold lens in. I believe I'll have the best of both worlds with the nice Miller headgear and the clarity of the Jackson lens. Good luck in your decision!
    Thanks for posting! THIS IS EXACTLY the information I have been searching for. It is amazing to me what little data is readily available on welding helmets out on the web. There are hardly any reviews and even the websites for the biggest brand names omit pertinent information (such as lens speeds). Why does Speedglas, Miller, and Jackson/Boss not openly divulge the lens speeds to their most expensive helmets when the cheapo helmets all readily advertise whether or not they're 1/25,000 or 1/10,000 of a second? It's such an important thing to know. After all, it is your EYES you're dealing with.

The most important thing to me aside from eye protection is coloration. I once used a shade 10 passive helmet that had the best coloration of any lens I've ever used. It was like watching the weld without a shade! But when I moved onto an autodark helmet, I found that everything just looked green and that it was harder to see the weld pool among other things. I have been looking for quite some time for a great autodark welding helmet that can resolve COLORS. Thanks to your post, I will check out the Boss/Jackson.

For me, the most important issues in a helmet are:

1. Eye Safety
    Lens response time, amount of arc sensors?

2. Coloration and optics
    How clear is the lens and can you see any colors?

3. Headgear
    Is it comfortable and is it replaceable? All head gear breaks, if it's not replaceable the helmet is useless.

4. Lens Size
    A larger lens is better for when one must weld in a compromised position.

5. Helmet Shape
    If you do any overhead welding and the helmet itself has grooves or lips in the plastic (usually for appearance) or a plastic shelf below the lens such as the Harbor Freight helmets, they can all catch spatter that will eventually burn through the helmet and ruin it. A helmet should be aerodynamic.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate them all but you got to wear one of them.
    Tough as nails and damn near as smart

Post Thanks / Like

W0030: Viewing area:98 40mm Light stateIN.3 or 4 Dark stateIN.9-13 Switching time(s):1/25000 Delay time(s):0...

Post Thanks / Like

Best Overall Helmet is the Arc One Vision Series. Headgear is comfortable,durable and the hood is very lightweight.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist