Thread: Tractor forks

Post Thanks / Like

Tractor forks

We just got a new tractor that has a skid steer style quick connect system for the bucket.I have been getting by for years with bucket forks on the old tractor, but decided to build a dedicated fork attachment for this one.
    The frame is 3" tube and the fork hanger is 1 1/2" diameter 4140 in 7/16" brackets.I made the forks by mitering and welding 3" channel into an L that would fit inside the 2X4X1/4" downtube and 2/3 of the way down the 4" channel of the fork, then I welded a piece of 3/4" X8" angle inside the mitered joint and slid it into the tube.I welded the tube to the interior channel and the angle, to the forks, and the forks to the angle and the 3" channel.This should be more than strong enough to lift anything the loader is capable of.I put a 3/8" chain binding hook on the bottom rail in the middle and an open tow hook on the top for lifting duties.The diamond plate is to protect the locking mechanism from debris or damage.I will paint it this weekend weather permitting.

Name:  Forks1 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1271
Size:  130.3 KB

Name:  Forks3 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  Forks4 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1275
Size:  120.7 KB

Name:  Forks7 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  43.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tractor forks

Nice looking setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job....Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice job!!!!
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

I could go on forever (yada yada yada yada) about how the channel isn't as strong as purpose made forks, but it you're careful with what you lift, and don't lift far out on the forks, it ought to work.

A simple set of gussets at the mitered corner would go a long ways in reinforcing them at the moment arm (I think that's what it's called). The most stress will be concentrated there.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good! You should be very happy with that!

I used 4x2x1/4 rect. tube for the forks on mine, mitered the corners then reinforced them with "L" plates cut from 1/4".

See this thread, go to frame 18 for details:

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...ork+Attachment

That was posted a year ago. We haven't been able to break it yet, not that we haven't put it to the test, either! A couple of weeks ago I needed to portage a pallet of cement pavers with a concrete garden bench a 1/4 mile down the road. I tried to lift the pallet and popped the rear wheels off the ground. I always did like the feeling I was moving up in the world! The tractor needed rear-end ballast so I hitched a 6-1/2 foot disc harrow to the 3-point. That worked!

- Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Atlas MFC Horizontal Mill
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to send them to me for testing
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    I could go on forever (yada yada yada yada) about how the channel isn't as strong as purpose made forks, but it you're careful with what you lift, and don't lift far out on the forks, it ought to work.

A simple set of gussets at the mitered corner would go a long ways in reinforcing them at the moment arm (I think that's what it's called). The most stress will be concentrated there.
    The 4" channel has 3" channel and 3/4 X 8 angle welded inside at the joint giving me almost 1 1/2 " of solid steel at the corner plus the legs of the channel so there was no need for an external gusset.I built forks like this several years ago for the ranch where they use them to unload grain bins and to pick up 2000lb. hay bales in the field(Really hard on forks), and so far they are unbent.
    I did look for a set of lift forks , but they wanted more than I was willing to pay for them.I have less than $100 involved in this project as all of the material was rems. or salvaged.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like this build. Very nice and the hidden re-enforcement is cool

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good man.

I used 4" channel on the ones I built awhile back also. I simply used a piece of flatbar for a stiffener in the channel.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=96021

As far as I know both sets are holding up well. And these guys are NOT easy on stuff.
    If you cant fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem.

"Boy, everyone starts with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before the bag of luck is empty."-Grandad circa 1990ish