Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon-Arc Gouging (Video)

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon-Arc Gouging (Video)

Goodafternoon, everyone!!

Heres another video that I just thought I'd share...

Recently, a buddy of mine drove down and we made a bunch of videos together, including this one, on Carbon-Arc gouging. It was a commonly requested video and not one I was setup to do, so I was really glad when we made this video with his Arc-Air setup.

Anyway, we ran this off a MIG welder (HTP-brand) and it was a blast. Pete explains a little about carbon-arc gouging and cutting, then demonstrates it on a piece of scrap metal... It was awesome! Its loud, messy, and it moves a lot of metal in a hurry. I ran it some in High-School (and again in another video I'll post as soon as its edited), and I really liked it...

Well, heres the video. Hope y'all like it

[Account Abandoned 8/8/16 Please Do Not Attempt Contact Or Expect A Reply]. See you on YouTube! -ChuckE2009

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carbon-Arc Gouging (Video)

this seems useless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bostick101 View Post
    this seems useless.
    Its great for removing old/bad/defective welds.
    [Account Abandoned 8/8/16 Please Do Not Attempt Contact Or Expect A Reply]. See you on YouTube! -ChuckE2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lanse View Post
    Its great for removing old/bad/defective welds.
    Way better than grinding, I think. Especially because it's sometimes hard to get the grinding disc all the way down into a fillet.
    Everlast PA160-STH
    ... and that's about it!

Post Thanks / Like

I use my Arcair all the time for gouging out cracks in buckets, and heavy equipment, and as my "magic eraser" to clean up other peoples crap.....
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

this seems useless.
    I don't think it is, it certainly doesn't look like it give the same results as a big CC machine, either engine drive or rectifier/inverter, but it looks like it would do the job in a pinch. I'd be afraid to do it to my own machine, just because I think it could hammer the electronics.

Post Thanks / Like

this seems useless.
    Are you talking about arc gouging writ large, or just using a small CV Mig as a gouging power source? Because the former is used all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

way quicker than grinding too. I honestly don't understand why anyone could say "this seems useless"... Thats like saying why would you need a Tig set up if you've already got a stick and mig set up. There is always the right tool for the job. and there are always tools that can do a job, but just aren't the right tool for the job. The more tools you have in your tool box, the better off you'll be when different jobs come along.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Post Thanks / Like

Actual performance with let's say a Ranger 250 GXT??

http://www.red-d-arc.com/pdf/Air%20C...ing%20Data.pdf

Amps are there, but how about voltage requirements? Never used arc air so I don't have a clue. Max OCV on DC is 28 I believe, and max OCV on AC is 80. So what's the skinny?

Always just used a scarfing torch for cleanup, and it's been ok.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

plasma gouging is where its at! MUCH faster, MUCH hotter, MUCH louder, zero cleanup afterwards, Our particular cavitation units are able to take 90LBS of material off an hr (thats how they rate these machines for those who dont know). no carbon deposits impregnating the base material. Having said that, out in the field off of a truck nothing beats carbon arcs simplitcity and reliability,
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Pressure_Welder; 06-20-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a penstock?

Post Thanks / Like

I use one with a trailblazer. I can gouge two ways. One with a gouge tip on the plasma which leaves a narrow smaller groove. If I have to remove backhoe teeth shanks or a cutting edge, then the Arcaire is used. Removes much more metal with fairly good control in areas grinders won't reach.

Post Thanks / Like

Lanse,

I always read about arc gouging and never understood it. Thanks for putting something together on this subject. Its a lot quicker than grinding old crap off of metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
    way quicker than grinding too. I honestly don't understand why anyone could say "this seems useless"... Thats like saying why would you need a Tig set up if you've already got a stick and mig set up. There is always the right tool for the job. and there are always tools that can do a job, but just aren't the right tool for the job. The more tools you have in your tool box, the better off you'll be when different jobs come along.
    In the field I work in people would laugh their *** off at you for bringing out this rig. I can do just as well with a torch and a washing tip. different strokes different folks I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I have heard of running a CAC off of a CV unit, but I have run Hours and Hours of it off of a CC unit. You have to have a good source of air as most CAC torches are air hogs. Even the small ones are going to eat most homeowner's air compressors for a snack. They won't even qualify for lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

In the field I work in people would laugh their *** off at you for bringing out this rig. I can do just as well with a torch and a washing tip. different strokes different folks I guess.
    Strange. Most professional welders I have been around own and love their CAC. It is way quicker than a torch and washing tip. Though I have to admit, I have about 75 washing tips and if there isn't much to do I will use it instead of the AirArc.

Like you said, different strokes.

Post Thanks / Like

1, could care less who's laughing, if I get the job done quickly and efficiently and don't have to transport volitile gasses, that much the better.

2. like you said, different strokes for different folks. laughing at someone using one of these vs a torch is like laughing at someone for using an ax with a fiberglass handle versus a wooden handle. They both get the job done. and there is no point in laughing at someone using one vs the other.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Post Thanks / Like

It more like laughing at someone using a chainsaw while you used an axe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rock knocker View Post
    Is that a penstock?
    working on the liner which the turbine sits inside. 3" thick stainless.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are doing a lot of arc air gouging you should use an overly large welder. 250 amps is bare minimum. Most shops use a 400 or 500 amp machine or if they have it a 1000A Gouging is very hard on the transformers.
    Use constant current if possible. With constant voltage each time the carbon touches the amperage on the rod skyrockets and the carbon explodes off the end of the rod driving carbon into the base material. The bits of carbon end up in the weld bead and it makes for a brittle weld and underbead cracking.
    Several years ago I helped write some instructional materials and I phoned ArcAir for their input. A guy phoned me back long distance and confirmed that they do not recommend using constant voltage settings for the reason above. I have found a lot of old guys like me who will change to CV because the arc does not stick as much and is smoother. Don't do it.
    I have a suspicion that some bend tests that I saw being done that required a back gouge failed because the upgrader set the machine at CV. The weld looked fine but when bent it fractured.

Post Thanks / Like

Machines like some of Lincolns Powerwave- Invertec with a Gouging setting are all CC. Once again I cannot watch a video where the info, and setup is all wrong..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Machines like some of Lincolns Powerwave- Invertec with a Gouging setting are all CC. Once again I cannot watch a video where the info, and setup is all wrong..
    Soundsssss like sumbody should start making their own videos then

Haha.

And to everyone else, thanks for watching. Glad you enjoyed it

Post Thanks / Like

Air arc is anything but useless. I describe it like plasma cutting with depth control. The more I use it, the more I wonder why I don't use it more! Too bad you weren't closer lanse, I can't wait to try these.

Name:  IMG_5895.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  36.5 KB
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pressure_Welder View Post
    working on the liner which the turbine sits inside. 3" thick stainless.
    Steam or hydro-power? I ask because if you're a Boilermaker, they work on both by agreement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lanse View Post
    Soundsssss like sumbody should start making their own videos then

Haha.

And to everyone else, thanks for watching. Glad you enjoyed it

Great idea. I could make a living correcting all the misinformation posted on your dog, and pony show.

I think Sam has beat me to the punch on that deal
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i