Thread: Lincoln SP170T solenoid adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln SP170T solenoid adapter

So, I laid my first beads with the flux core as I showed in my previous post, and decided while I was spending good money I will never have again, I should work on getting the stuff needed to convert to MIG. The SP170T comes with the solenoid valve, which was awesome to see (I guess the EZ pack machines at home depot have a conversion kit that has the valve and tubing) as I didn't have to purchase that. I went to LWS and purchased a small tank of C25 because it was all I could afford (about $200 for a 40 ft3 filled), but the price of the tank can be used as a credit towards a larger tank in the future. Got a regulator from Amazon online which seems to match the HF models people have good luck with. Hopefully this is the right one.

https://www.amazon.com/Argon-Regulat...words=PRARREG1

Planning on using 1/4" vinyl tubing from big box store to connect cylinder to solenoid..

I think all I have left to get is an adapter from the solenoid to the tubing I plan to run between the tank and the solenoid. According to Lincoln's IM, the solenoid inlet is a 5/8"-18 female for CGA 032 fitting. My question is, can I use any old regular brass plumbing fitting from big box store to connect this? Something like this but only the right dimensions?

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing...inStoreId=3276

Don't know if the "CGA 032" designation matters, but it seems like if I find a fitting with the right dimensions, this would work ok?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln SP170T solenoid adapter

Was my question dumb or did i stump everyone?!?!?! I am guessing not the latter....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yaziron View Post
    Was my question dumb or did i stump everyone?!?!?! I am guessing not the latter....
    CGA 032 a B Size RH inert gas nipple and male nut. The LWS near me have them in stock for less than 6 dollars for nut and nipple.

http://westernenterprises.com/enterp...-arc-fittings/.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Airco 300
    Lincoln V250-S
    Miller 12VS
    Lincoln SP130T

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be a total pest, but I am still confused. Are you saying that I cannot use a regular plumbing fitting for this connection, or are you just providing an alternative. I don't see why a regular fitting wouldn't work, but don't know since I am dealing with welding gas with "special" designations.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by yaziron; 02-03-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Mistyped word

Post Thanks / Like

You can NOT use standard plumbing fittings
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, ok. That's what I needed, cause I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, or the roundest ball in the pit, or the... you get the idea!! No standard plumbing fittings from Big Box Store. I will call my LWS and see if they have a nipple and nut like sneadly said.

I am curious, and I'm not asking to doubt anyone or be argumentative, but what happens if you do use a standard fitting with the right threads/etc..? My guess is the problem has to do with compressed gases (light bulb went off, "CGA" might mean "Compressed Gas Association" or something) leaking by, vs a standard plumbing fitting is dealing with liquids?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know wtf you are doing. Just screw the gas hose into the flowmeter, and the other end into the back of the machine and be done with it. I have the same mig. You do see the gas hose on the amazon page that you could have bought with the flowmeter, right?

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
    Last edited by shovelon; 02-03-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry to ask such stupid questions. I kinda thought that's what these here forums were fer... to teach us here not so smart people. Anyway, as to "wtf am I doing":
    I have a bottle with a regulator with a barbed fitting as such:
    Name:  hoseconn.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  22.3 KB
    I want to connect a 1/4" vinyl tubing to dat der barb end with a clampy thingy
    The uder end of da hose needs to attach to the welder thingy, but all I have is dis:
    Name:  welderfitting.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  70.3 KB
    I don't dink I can hot glue the tubing to the fitting, so I am trying to ask if I can connect a regular plumbing fitting to the connection on the back of the welder, or if it has to be some special gas fitting. Was looking at one of these fittings.
    Name:  barb.png
Views: 301
Size:  54.7 KB

If I am understanding sneadly and mechanic416 correctly, I can't. So, my follow up question was merely out of curiosity, what happens if I do? Do you leak all the gas out?

Not trying to "reinvent the wheel, trying to figure out how to mount the wheel on da daggum machine!!!

Thanks again for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Take that barbed fitting and save it in your parts bin.

Screw an inert welding gas hose into the hole at the bottom of the flowmeter, and the other end in the hole of the welder. The hose must be able to hold the output pressure of the flow meter. Vinyl hoses don't cut it, as it must be a braided hose. Cheap import flowmeters like you got on amazon could be dual purpose mig/tig use and could have an output pressure of up to 80psi.
    Last edited by shovelon; 02-03-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the output pressure btw?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that thumb crew is how the output flow is set.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

That is a good question, output pressure is not mentioned in the specs of this cheap (I am sure, Chinese) meter/regulator. However, the flow meter tube says flow in SCFH at 50 psiG. My assumption, therefore, is that the output pressure is 50 psiG, but I don't know that. I could try hooking a pressure gauge on the output if I have one just to check.
    As you suggested, vinyl tubing is probably not the answer. I did find some PVC type tubing/hose with the right ID that is rated to 250 psiG. My LWS I just returned from didn't have any inert gas hoses without buying their $100 regulator. Could order one from Amazon, but I did read in the reviews on this gauge/regulator that it didn't come with standard size fittings to fit the Weldcote inert gas hose Amazon sells. Guess that is what I get for buying cheapies... Again, obviously I didn't know what I was getting, but that is why I came to the forum, to seek answers
    I was going to ask why they sell the hoses in the first place, since they don't fit many of these regulators, but now I understand... I got a poopy regulator and now have to adapt to make it fit, or order the right hose and wait until next week!!
    Last edited by yaziron; 02-03-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: change "output flow" to "output pressure"

Post Thanks / Like

Shovelon - I just noticed in the picture you posted of your regulator/flowmeter that the flowtube is showing SCFH at 50 psiG, just like mine is... so maybe my logic on the output pressure is fouled...

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it is vinyl tubing inside the machine so I wouldn't be too concerned with it.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I believe it is vinyl tubing inside the machine so I wouldn't be too concerned with it.
    The vinyl tube inside the machine is after solenoid so it sees 3 to 6 psi max during surge. Before the solenoid the pressure in the hose will reach output pressure of 50 psi same as flowmeter until the pressure dumps and normalizes.

50 psi sounds right. Although for tig work I prefer the Victor flowmeters set at 25psi for low pressure buildup and short surges which save gas and money right off. The lower pressure is also easier on solenoid valves. They are an investment though.

Anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Victor regulator for those that have not seen one.

Name:  P1010757.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  31.7 KB

Charl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xmmancharl View Post
    Victor regulator for those that have not seen one.

Name:  P1010757.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  31.7 KB

Charl
    Yep. Inert gas hose just screws in.