Re: who makes the #1 welding machines/ equipment

Need a good welder.................... BUY A DODGE

Battery tried to weld itself to fender when it slipped of it's tray
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

i use lincoln engine drives; classic 2, sa200, sa 250 and currently on the truck a 300d, although the classic 2 is a dud. in the shop i use a miller shopmaster 300 w/ a 251d hi freq box and a s 22a feeder.
    "You can't bull$hit a bull$hitter"

Post Thanks / Like

Samm, I see you now have the universal fitall threadless batt hold down clamp . They work great, don't they. As long as you keep an eye out for the rubber cracking.
    Oh, and I also have two blue ones, 175 mig and thunderbolt AC/DC.
    Mike
    Last edited by mla2ofus; 03-23-2009 at 11:25 PM.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a "red" and a "purple" and a "blue". I learned to weld with a "red" way back when they were "grey" (big 480V Lincoln Idealarc). I like them all for what I use them for. Red= MIG, Purple=TIG, Blue=Cut. At least in my garage. I still kinda miss that old Lincoln though....

Butch W.
    Butch W.

Lincoln 180C MIG
    ThermalArc TA 185 - WP-20 Torch
    Miller 375 X-treme Plasma Cutter
    Victor Journeyman O/A Set

Post Thanks / Like

Well at least the brands are american, doesn't mean their made there though

Red for me when it comes to inverters, tried a heap of blue ones out and still haven't found one I like. You've got to be a tech to change thing's around where as with red it's simple. Engine driven then either red or blue, BUT you'll struggle to find anything blue on the pipelines in Aussie....
    I'd rather be hunting........
    USE ENOUGH HEAT.......

Drifting around Aussie welding more pipe up, for something different.....wanting to get home.

Post Thanks / Like

Miller for me ! I just sold my Econotig after 13 years of flawless performance ( was one of the first ones out I think). I got within $90 of what I paid for it, so that's pretty good value in my book. Now using a Syncrowave 300 with pulser option, and I have a Big 40 for portable machine. Victor is my choice for O/A.
    Not a beginner, not a pro !

Post Thanks / Like

Fronius is the leader in Technology with their Cold Metal Transfer systems and Laser Hybrid only there is a cost factor!.
    As far as value for money and sturdiness i would prefer Lincoln.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Those old Linde machines are quite the thing. The were the first in a lot of fields, including MIG machines, I was told anyways. VERY innovative for their day & way ahead of their time. Chemetron was the first company to introduce a true solid state TIG machine in the '60's, the AC/DC 300 HF. It was the first non analog TIG machine made. Michigan Arc Products has one in their showroom in Troy, MI. Brand new, old stock with the covers taken off so you can see inside. Pretty cool.

i own a ac/dc300hf i just recently picked it up and opened it up to repair it. it is VERY cool inside. all the wires are numbered across the entire unit. its got switchable voltage input from 460, 230, and 208 volts. that panel is all labeled with ware to move the jumpers. very cool stuff

Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong, but i think i read somewhere that Kemppi were one of the first to introduce inverter welders.

Yup, read it hear.
    http://www.kemppi.com/inet/kemppi/en...&topcat=Kemppi

It was some time in the 70's.

And were also the first to change from analogue to digital controlled welders.
    Last edited by LarryO; 03-02-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    ESAB is the number three welding machine company in the US for those of you living under rocks.

Any one ever watch monster garage? Jesse James is the spokesman for ESAB.

Another name you might have heard of is Prestolite, or Purox is their torch line.

But for those of you that need a visual image:

Guess which voted for ESAB?
    whats that big yellow box , a soda machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Before you yankies go waving the banner too much don't forget that ESAB is swedish and Linde is german.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw another lincoln TIG machine go on the fritz today, further reinforces my opinion that they should just stay with stick machines.

Give me blue machine and ill be happy as can be. Anyone else notice the colors of the bars representing miller and lincoln in the poll?
    Have we all gone mad?

Post Thanks / Like

Canít go wrong with Lincoln, victor, and tweco.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if things have changed in the last 11 years but it doesn't matter if you have the best machine in the world. All that matters is if the finished product is done right. A good weldor might do a a better job with a cheaper machine than a mediocre weldor could do with a top of the line machine. I just want a machine that works when I need it. I have a Red Face SA200 because the price was right. It's 1 machine that doesn't have a similar offering in Blue.

15. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I'm seeing and hearing, Miller has a serious problem with the longevity of their mother boards in inverter welders. Replacement boards are wicked expensive and tradesmen are fed up. i can see Miller losing a serious amount of market share if they don't get this solved. Warranty is all well and good, but if you are in a remote location or in the middle of a project it isn't much comfort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakodiver View Post
    From what I'm seeing and hearing, Miller has a serious problem with the longevity of their mother boards in inverter welders. Replacement boards are wicked expensive and tradesmen are fed up. i can see Miller losing a serious amount of market share if they don't get this solved. Warranty is all well and good, but if you are in a remote location or in the middle of a project it isn't much comfort.
    Did you see the crazy price increases on Millers? The Dynasty 210dx is nearly $5k for just the power source! ~$7.5K for the water cooled cart package! The Dynasty 400 went up from about ~$11,000 to ~$13,500 for the water-cooled cart package!
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

18. Likes filetobeef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're making my $300 Forney look better all the time...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

20. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hobart, Lincoln and Miller
    All make good welders.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

As Dave says, a good fabricator can do better with a cheap machine, than a mediocre fabricator can do with the best machines.

I'm mediocre, so need good machines

I have a lot of time for Miller, their Dynasty machines were probably "the best in the world" at one time. Their MIG machines have always been great.
    European market Miller and Lincoln machines though... never have been great, and are even worse now.
    Kemppi and Esab make some great stuff, but also some absolute dogs.

So it comes down to my personal 3 "best in the world" as of the 20's... Lorch, Fronius and EWM. European design and manufacture, industrial quality, and modern innovations. Once you use a smart torch, you wonder how you'd do without them, and all 3 make awesome stick welders.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    As Dave says, a good fabricator can do better with a cheap machine, than a mediocre fabricator can do with the best machines.

I'm mediocre, so need good machines

I have a lot of time for Miller, their Dynasty machines were probably "the best in the world" at one time. Their MIG machines have always been great.
    European market Miller and Lincoln machines though... never have been great, and are even worse now.
    Kemppi and Esab make some great stuff, but also some absolute dogs.

So it comes down to my personal 3 "best in the world" as of the 20's... Lorch, Fronius and EWM. European design and manufacture, industrial quality, and modern innovations. Once you use a smart torch, you wonder how you'd do without them, and all 3 make awesome stick welders.
    I've got to agree with that, I've never been impressed with a Lincoln or Miller machines, they get the job done but the quality of the arc and reliability has been lacking.

My all time number 1 in terms of quality is without a doubt Fronius, but after taking yours and woz's advice on and EWM I'm sold on them being a very close second, having a 180 amp single phase machine on a 20 amp 240 volt circuit that can spray because of its electrical efficiency is pretty great.

24. Likes whtbaron, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that's a nice spray arc Mig weld!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Now that's a nice spray arc Mig weld!
    Overall I wouldn't even say it's that nice, it's okay, but what's great about it is that this is from a machine that is 40lb with a 10 pound spool of wire in it.

And even more impressive is that it's not like it's only good for 1 bead, this ended up being a 1 inch leg length fillet, 8 inches log every pass run one after the other. This is in globular transfer, so I did it again with a 15 inch coupon of 3/8 plate in spray transfer, it never cut out.
    I tend to find with cheap machines they're stated duty cycle is overstated, this machine says it's good for one thousand constantly over delivers.

Last edited by ttoks; 07-09-2021 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of the smaller machines are over rated. I don't think anybody would complain about your 1st weld in post 45. You can sure notice the difference in spatter levels using globular transfer. In the last pic. it looks like there's a line down the middle of the last bead (like you might get with Dual-Shield) and maybe it's the silicon deposits, but appears the bottom of the bead looks convex and not as flat as the top half. Maybe just a reaction because the piece is so hot from all the passes one after the other?

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, Miller does manufacture superior welding equipment, however, personally I am a big big fan of LJ Welding's welding solutions. Their focus is set on automated solutions, and they've made some sick collaborations with Fronious, Miller, Panasonic and Praxair.

LJ are located in Canada if anyone are looking for some amazing, custom-fit welding solutions there! (https://www.ljwelding.com/)

Post Thanks / Like

I applied at LJ several years ago. They are 10 minutes from my house and have been expanding at record pace. Nice group of guys and smart engineers. I think if I would have pursued it a little more I would have been hired. I got a tour of their shop and talked with a few of the guys. They seemed to be a high production shop and expected you to work overtime and weekends when required. I wasn't sure if that's what I really wanted at the time. I'd been looking into the welding supply end of things for awhile. Welding takes a toll on the body when you've been doing it for quite a few years.

LJ made a portable automated circle cutter (circle radiagraph) that is commonly used to cut holes for nozzles in vessels but I don't think still offer it. Maybe special order??One person could pick it up and set it up.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 07-30-2021 at 01:55 PM.