+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metabo Die Grinders

Post Thanks / Like

Metabo Die Grinders

I have been contemplating buying a metabo electric die grinder. Been leaning towards the GE710 Plus. Does anyone have any experience with this particular die grinder or any of other currently available metabo die grinders? If you do comments about them would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Metabo Die Grinders

got a pile of them on order but they havent arrived yet...............will let you know if they are any good once I get them.
    6 Miller Big Blue 600 Air Paks
    2 Miller 400D
    6 Lincoln LN-25's
    4 Miller Xtreme 12VS
    2 Miller Dimension 812
    4 Climax BW-3000Z bore welders
    Hypertherm 65 and 85
    Bug-O Track Bug
    Pair of Welpers

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a milwaukee and its a powerful brute. as noted above,a carbide burr inside a hole can get away from you and do all sorts of scarey,interesting moves.
    miller thunderbolt 250v
    lincoln square wave tig 175 pro
    lincoln idealarc mig sp250
    everlast tig 210EXT
    everlast power plasma 50
    chicago electric (hf) 130 tig/90 arc
    chicago electric 90 amp flux wire
    3 sets oxy/acet

Post Thanks / Like

I have Ingersoll Rand air die grinders, looking to buy an electric one for when air is not available. I have used the new Makita die grinders which I like.

Interested to see how people feel about the metabo, they make excellent disk grinders imho.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc TM 300 300
    MM 200
    MM 251

30a Spoolgun
    Precision Tig 375
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    LN25

Post Thanks / Like

We purchased 2 several years ago at work to replace a pair of Milwaukees. I can not remember the model #. They were both shot in a matter of months. We went back to the Milwaukee die grinder after that. IMHO, Metabo angle grinders are the top of the market, but I do not care for their other tools. We also bought the Metabo chop saw to cut hydraulic hose with, have not been pleased with it either.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing to remember is that they are all made to use smaller diameter stones or burrs, most up to 1", they suck with long shaft burrs as 6" long as said above scary.For larger diameter cutting tools I have found a flex shat tool to be better,but limits your movement.
    If you have a good size air compressor an tank,You can't beet the quality of a Dotco grinder.But the are not cheap.If you go for an elec.one look for one that you can replace the bearings in it.

Post Thanks / Like

My early experiences with electric die grinders have taught me the right way and wrong way to do things. I have taken a ride or two on the end of a large size and small size Milwaukee electric die grinder. It all boils down to either I was using the wrong burr for what I was trying to accomplish, in too big of a hurry, or was asking the tool to do something it wasn't designed to do. I really really like my electric die grinders and would be lost with out them. A good sharp burr will make short work of the task at 20 - 22,000+ rpm. I have an air operated die grinder that has it's place as well, but electric is my #1 go to.

To the op's question though, sorry I have no experience with Metabo. I would like to try one with the variable speed option. Whatever you get make sure your burrs / wheels are rated for the top speed and hang on like you mean it.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Poptm - purchased a Metabo GE-700 Die Grinder Kit from Ebay. Kit includes the flex-shaft, dies for grinding and sanding, and hand tools packaged into one 1520 large and two small Pelican cases. 60 pieces.

Very pleased with my Metabo 4-1/2" Angle Grinder. Solid and powerful. Lots of use over the previous 5 months. Looking forward to the "700" for projects in da works!
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old rockwell and some other name electric die grinders and also like mentioned I like to use my air ones because of the things getting away in holes. However they do work great with the big bits and really hogging off material!

If you get used to handling them they are the way to go for day in and day out porting of engine parts.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist