+ Reply to Thread

Thread: heater core

Post Thanks / Like

heater core

Hello everyone, I have a 1996 Ford F-150 with a 5.0 liter engine. On my way to work this morning, steam started coming from the vents. No air or anything was turned on. Does this sound like the heater core or is there a valve that might be bad? What is a good way to check the problem and is it somethimg I can fix myself? Thanks, Ricky

Post Thanks / Like
    On earlier ford trucks and vans there was an inline valve (vac. actuated) that turned the water flow off and on to the heater core inside the vehicle. Other than that you just have the hoses and the heater core (unless things have changed drastically since the 1980's). In any case, it's just a find-and-replace. Most likely, it's the hoses. But if it's the core it can be fixed with a torch and solder, but the better alternative is just to buy a new one. If it's failed due to corrosion, you dont want to fix it and put it back in, 'cause it will likely not be long before another leak appears. Many aftermarked heater cores are under $75 and carry lifetime warranties. If your core is bad, I would check the radiator for similar corrosion.
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize these next questions may sound like no brainers however sometimes its so easy to overlook the smallest things! When the vehicle cooled down did you check the radiator to see if you have lost any coolant? Did you smell antifreeze in your vehicle while this was happening? Chances are if the heater core sprung a leak you will start to smell it inside the vehicle. Typically the heator core and the air conditioner share the same blower box and if the htr core is leaking and your running the AC it would cause the steam like senerio you have explained (Just like in the winter when you pee in the snow! AAahhh!! ) Typically control valves are a vacuum diaphram gate which during summer months when the heater is not in demand the valve stays shut sending the heated coolant back to the radiator. You may have a dual problem with your heater control valve and a leaking htr core that suddenly showed up. Please keep us posted and hope for the best and expect the worst! On a positive note its a Ford!

nickoli ;-{>

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's the heater core I sure hope it's easier to replace than the one on my old (now long gone) Taurus. I figure it took me the better part of a day to strip the dash back to get at the core, 10 minutes to change the core and another big chunk of a day to put it all back together.

Granted it was my first time on a Taurus but man that was a lot of work..

Good luck
    Tinker
    Century 135GS, ThermalArc 250GTS

Post Thanks / Like
    Nickoli is right. Make sure you are losing antifreeze/coolant, water (or chocolate sauce or whatever you use in the radiator) before you start disassembling your truck.
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist