+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Esab

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Esab

BTW when I use my 450 for stick I just connect the TIG pedal and set a hunk of steel on it to hold it down.
    DOH!
    I realized I failed to mention that the foot pedal is FULL RANGE and when I hold it down with a weight I also have to wedge it so it doesn't bottom out. There are no range switches like some other machines. It may acquire an adjustable stop.

I'll try to score the adjustable hand control so I can "set it and leave it", but I'm trying to avoid paying retail...

Post Thanks / Like

See if you can find a CV/CC control box for these welders, I think ESAB does not sell them any more but you can get the wiring diagram and parts list. and build your own.
    It is just a box with a couple of switches and a potentiometer.

Post Thanks / Like

That should be the HC-4B hand control, nice but not cheap for occasional use.

The machine automatically switches between CV/CC depending on what's connected (pedal or feeder) so I could determine the contactor trigger and control leads using the foot pedal schematic and skip the advanced features.

The Amphenol connectors are expensive so unless my welder repair acquaintance has an organ donor the control switch may be the best option. I lurk Ebay looking for used ones.
    Last edited by farmall; 01-05-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone seen the Aristo Tech helmet? I saw it online last night but can't find it inside the US.
    It looks comparable to the Miller Digital Elite.
    Do what it takes to get the job done right.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the one. It is just a box with 3 toggle switches and 2 pots. and a pcb
    You can go to ESAB's web site and attempt to down load the manual. Manual number F-15-124. If you can't find it and want a copy send me a request by PM.
    I really think you want the HC-3B It only has 1 pot and two switches. And a diode inside. Its manual F-15-118-A pn number 33838
    Has a 3 position switch. CV digipulse and stick. This book is on ESABs web site I just checked. its in the accessories folder.
    Have worked on a lot of the digipulse feeders and the 450i welders. There are a few tricks to working on them so if you do not want the caps to blow up. feel free to pm me any questions. If the feeder doesn't hold the last setting when turned off. the battery on the pcb is dead.
    If it has leaked. the holder will have to be replaced to. If the switches don't work right and the feeder just acts strange. It may just need to have a factory reset done. very simple if you have the program lock key.
    Last edited by ccawgc; 01-08-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that info, it will help the hunt.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note on the MM 260....it ALWAYS had burnback adjustment (0-10) on the inside of the wire feed area. And the best little single phase 260 amp cccv unit out there.! Great machine for any shop or for your garage.

As for the Migmaster 250. Simply the best value for a compact mig unit ever made bar none and I would put one up against anything in that class that Miller or Lincoln ever made. ANYTIME.!

I agree with esabrep that the quality and reliability from the Polish product is excellent. ESAB needed to make some changes in the way they manufactured equipment and it made no sense doing so with 3-4 different product lines from different parts of the world. So it was decided (beyond my pay scale), back in 08/09 if I recall correctly in France at a meeting of the minds to solidify and bring together all the groups worldwide and put together a new line of standard equipment that was GLOBAL. ?? The results are there to be seen. Hi quality, Hi tech for sure...check out "QSet" very kewl stuff.

When it comes to subarc * automation, Lincoln does not even come close to what ESAB can and has provided those that were willing to look out of the box and envision real productivity...just go see 1 of the many windtower manufacturing plants North America wide...95% of which are using ESAB SubArc systems...and many are welding remotely with television, laser joint tracking, NO GOUGUNG in 3" material (X Joints no root no gap), -50 impacts and doing those kind of joints in 12-16 passes.

How.? Hybrid Tandem twin DC lead - single 5/32" EM12K
    AC Trail - twin 3/32" EM12K someone will likely try the new Alloyshield 70S metal core subarc wire here too..?? yea...there are ways to make subarc pay. We are talking about 70 -100+ lbs per hour deposition. NO BS here boys.

Pretty soon some guys will switch out the AC trail twin set up with an "ICE" system. 3 wires - look for that.!! simply awesome and they'll run it on the NEW ARISTO 1000 AC Inverter...unbeatable.

Yea, they are a company on the rise. Excellent filler metals. And I for one totally believe that the Aristo rod copperless wires are simply the best on the planet. Dualshield 7100 Ultra / Coreweld C6 aint too bad either...I've run em both lots...and put em up against the best out there.

ESABREP...we must know ea other..no.?? where you in austin in Feb 06/07 for the TransNational Sales Meeting..?? Canada/US & Mexico sales team. I was. anyway..good to see some official esab attention here..!! good idea

cheers,

stk
    Last edited by Steakman; 01-15-2012 at 11:35 PM.
    Welding Supervisor/PipeFitter: 35 yrs in..
    Welding Engineering Technologist('86)
    CWB Level II Welding Inspector ('91)
    Alberta Journeyman Welder ('81)

Post Thanks / Like

The 260 is a excellent machine, owned two of them. (Black face models) I only sold the last one, because I prefer the Mig arc of the Esab 350 MPI. Also owned two of them. (This one I am keeping. I also have the old school Esab 252 tig machine that is just solid, and works.

Really the little 173/203/253 are pretty much junk machines on many levels. Hopefully the replacement stuff is better. I do know the C-420 (3 phase only) they had in the states before the 173 type of machines, were nice welding units. The drive setup on the new machines looks like a big step backwards. I had a few 4-30 feeders, so I know they can do better then single non driven drive rolls. The Lincoln machines have a much better drive system then the new Esab machines. Proven forever. I welded with a really nice powermig 255 Lincoln machine. Not all weld the same from what I have found. The one I liked, welded real similar to the 260 Esab machine.That one would match a Migmaster 250. I welded with many of those, and owned 3 of them, still own one right now.

PS- I am not against the new Esab stuff, because I just ordered a Caddy Mig 200 i . Even with the new Thermal-arc machine being out... You should weld with a properly setup Sanrex Thermal-arc Arcmaster 400 MST if you think the 260 is a good welding single phase welding machine. Now that is sweet running 400 amp single/three phase unit!! The Copperless Hobart version works really nice in the newer Migmaster 275..

I don't like the Aristo wire(.035) as well as the Hobart QA-6 in the Migmaster 250/260 /350 MPI/Powerwave C-300 or MM-350P. The QA-6 blows it away by a wide margin..The Copperless Hobart version works really nice in the newer Migmaster 275.. Better then the QA-6 in that machine.
    Last edited by Brand X; 01-16-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB Remote Control info:

I just scored a new FC-5C foot pedal off Ebay cheaper (fifty bucks plus shipping) than buying the connector and parts or buying a basic hand remote.

Popped off the cover easily. The pivot pins are plungers on springs, just press them in with a punch and wiggle the cover being careful they don't shoot across the room

I removed the potentiometer from the rack (no electrical disconnection required) and pulled the female blade connectors off the microswitch, drilled a hole in the side of the base so the pot can stick out the side, and will connect the microswitch female blade connectors to a toggle switch.

The extra parts got bagged in case I ever want it to be a conventional pedal again.

There is no reason that wouldn't work with any similar pedal on other brands. There is plenty of room in the pedal case so folks with ambition could leave all the original "pedal" functions intact, toggle between "pedal" and "dial", and toggle between "original microswitch" (as a bump switch) and "dial remote". The wiring for additional switches and a second pot is obvious.

If I used it for both I'd put a wider base with some switch protection on the thing to avoid hitting the switches and damaging them.

Rubber toggle switch boots are cheap and available at marine stores for those who want them.
    Last edited by farmall; 01-23-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE:

Got a similar pot (same maker and range but shorter shaft) potentiometer and a 4-pole/double throw switch (one pole set not used) and can now use the pedal as a standard pedal or dial remote.

I'll just leave a weight on the pedal for now to actuate the microswitch for remote use since I can kick off a weight faster than I can reach down and hit a toggle, but it works fine and was cheap. I can always run the microswitch lead thru the unused set of switch contacts since the middle position on the 4PDT toggle is open if I want to later.

These folks ship quickly:

http://store.triodestore.com/pec10kl.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Esab fault diagnosis

reposted in here also as I wasnt sure which to put it in, but there doesnt seem to be much action in this thread!

Hi guys, Im a newby here, from Australia.
    question-I have an "ESAB Orl++arc200" caddy welder (cant read the full model as they cleverly put it on the bottom where it scrapes on the ground!)
    Im having trouble here in Aus with repairs-ESAB doesnt even seem to answer the phone.

If there is an expert on here who may be able to provide a basic diagnosis of possibly where to look for the fault itd be a great help!

---when its plugged in, the little power LED on the front flicks on for a second or so then off for maybe 5, and keeps repeating. The cooling fan does the same, flicks half a turn then stops, repeating every 5 secs or so.
    I can handle basic electrical work (limited licence-marine engineer) but electronics are a bit past me. It is getting power past the on/off switch on the back though.

cheers Robbo

Post Thanks / Like

Can you contact ESAB customer service ONLINE and obtain a manual so as to diagnose any fault codes, if that's what the blinking sequence is showing?

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your reply Farmall, didnt even think of a code to tell the truth, I'll try emailing but if they dont even answer the phones....

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB LUC 400, "waiting for machine ident"....

Argh.

Im trying to get a ESAB Aristo LUC 400 to life.

The control box says "waiting for machine ident"
    Then the manual says: check fiber connection to the box and check tat the control power supply transformer and its connections are healthy by measuring the +5V voltage at test point Mp1 on circuit board AP5.

Which i did. There is light in the fiber cable and there is 5volt on the test-point.

Any hints what else could go wrong.

Im running out of machines. I have a dead esab LAR 500, a dead lincoln powerwave 450 and now a dead Esab Aristo 400.

Only the trusty Lincoln 250 tig machine who runs happily.

When im finished with this project, i will have plenty of dead welding machines in the garage. (and this is professinal machines, not toys)

ze
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Sailing the Farm - A seagypsy group of tomorrow
    Lincoln Squarwave 200 TIG
    Lincoln Powerwave S350 with Powerfeed 25 aluminium.

Post Thanks / Like

for you esab guys out there.

I gave up that ESAB LUC 400 machine. Checked everything according to the technical manual i found on www.welding.co.uk. Good technical manuals but my shallow knowledge in checking components on the mainboard stopped me for doing more. I wish i took electronic class in school instead of german. :-)

but one good news. I got hold of 2 more esab machines during weekend. One Esab LUC 500 and once LUA 400. Its been used as welding machines in a school.

He said he didnt know if they were working so i got them cheap, but they did sort of. The feeder (esab A10-MED44) only run in reverse! But i had one from the broken machine (A10-MEH44) which runs ok. First time i have 2 roller feeder. Maybe i solved my problem of feeding aluminium once and for all.

The LUA400 has a A10 MED 30 feeder (single roller) With a PAD3 puls arc device (remote)
    It seems to work ok. Only done 5 minutes test to check sofar.

The LUC500 is a mig/tig machine with orignally A10 MED44 feeder which is broken. I had a MEH 44 from the old broken machine and that seems to work ok. Tig doesent seems to work but i have the my lincoln TIG machine i really like so its not a big deal.

After 5 minutes welding i kind of like the LUC500 better. The remote box has quite a few adjustment possibilites for AlMg. Its a little strange to weld MIG again when im been TIG welding for quite some time.

Then some pictures.

a: The machine on left is the LUC 500. This is big brother of the LUC 400 i didnt manage to run. Its more or less same inside but this has a tig on front (which doesent seem to work on this machine) The lua 400 (on left) is connected to A10 MED30 one roller feeder. with a pulsed arc PAD 3 device. Seems to work ok.

b. 2 roller feeder (MEH 44) from the old esab machine. Seems to work ok.

c. MED 44. Only run in reverse. the yardfeeder 20 is also dead. Cant regulate speed.

Both machine is from late 90'ties so probably 15 years old.

All in all. Im back in business again.

ze
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

robbo
    Post a picture of the front of your welder. If your welder is of the caddy type, the front panel will have its own manual. fault codes are listed in there. Need to figure out if your welder is a origo 200i or caddy 200i Then I can pull up the right manual.
    zeyang
    Good to here you got it going. English manual for the luc 400 are hard to find.
    Whats wrong with the power wave 450, Might be able to help you with that one.
    private message me the serial number and code number and list of symptoms.
    What feeder is on it? The status lights blink out a code if there is a problem.
    Can be several numbers in a row 3 red flashes pause 2 red flashes green light repeat to next number.
    Let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    robbo
    Post a picture of the front of your welder. If your welder is of the caddy type, the front panel will have its own manual. fault codes are listed in there. Need to figure out if your welder is a origo 200i or caddy 200i Then I can pull up the right manual.
    zeyang
    Good to here you got it going. English manual for the luc 400 are hard to find.
    Whats wrong with the power wave 450, Might be able to help you with that one.
    private message me the serial number and code number and list of symptoms.
    What feeder is on it? The status lights blink out a code if there is a problem.
    Can be several numbers in a row 3 red flashes pause 2 red flashes green light repeat to next number.
    Let me know.
    Hi,
    I manage to get those feeders running (both the ME20 yard feeder and the MED 44). I will have a look at the powewave 450 when i got a bit more time. It was working perfect for one year and suddenly it start to sputtered and i couldnt do any good weld. For me it seems to be a component fault. Its no code or anything.
    But... I have been playing with those 2 esabs which i thought were defect but tweaking the settings and testing out everything the only thing who seems to be wrong is the tig on the 500 machine... So maybe i can get that powerwave running again. it was a pretty good machine. I really liked the LN27 wire feeder.

ze

Post Thanks / Like

Is your welder an INVERTEC POWER WAVE 450 Uses owners manual IM524??
    Or is it a power wave 455? the LN 27 feeder I can't find any books on it.
    Post the code numbers so I can look them up.

Post Thanks / Like

hello guys I have a question about my ESAB multimaster260. It has the remote tig option installed, my question is that the machine is a scratch arc tig and what benefits would I get with a foot pedal. I'm new to tig welding. I have used a machine that has a pedal to start the arc and regulate the amps. so what is the difference between these. I'm talking about the pedal that is,

Post Thanks / Like

The owners manual calls it touch start. It means you need to briefly touch the tungsten to the work and lift to start the arc. Should start at a low amp and ramp up to panel setting real fast. After the arc starts. The low amp start help keep the tungsten from sticking and breaking off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    The owners manual calls it touch start. It means you need to briefly touch the tungsten to the work and lift to start the arc. Should start at a low amp and ramp up to panel setting real fast. After the arc starts. The low amp start help keep the tungsten from sticking and breaking off.
    I made this video a while back on touch start, lift-arc technique. don't tap the torch to the work, instead rest the cup on the work and roll your wrist over till you get and arc and then roll back or lift the torch a little to begin welding. ingore the brand of machine
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    I made this video a while back on touch start, lift-arc technique. don't tap the torch to the work, instead rest the cup on the work and roll your wrist over till you get and arc and then roll back or lift the torch a little to begin welding. ingore the brand of machine
    Some machines don't need that at all, but with the 260 Multimaster it helps the starts.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

New style torch from ESAB.

New style torch from ESAB.

http://products.esabna.com/EN/home/g...etal_master_ii

Does this mean they are planning to kill their classic lineup? It's "assembled and tested" in USA so my Spider Sense detects they may cheap out since there was no functional need to change their torches.

IMO they should cough up for better MARKETING, not that they effing listen to customers...

Post Thanks / Like

Shoutout for ESAB excellent customer service

Last year I bought a Purox metal master O/A set and tanks, off of Craig's List for $175. Turns out the gauges needed servicing. I contacted the ESAB service people,and was told that the regulators were not covered by their lifetime guarantee, since I was not the original owner. But, the guy told me to send them in and they would get back to me with a price quote and I could decide if I wanted to have them fixed or not at that time. I sent the regulators in as discussed, and two weeks later, two brand new gauges appeared via Fedex, free of charge. They stood up for their lifetime warranty even when they didn't have to. Very cool of them.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear. Purox make excellent equipment.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist