+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Esab

Post Thanks / Like

Esab

There were a lot of people asking for this forum. Use it and we will see how the traffic is.

David
    Last edited by David R; 04-23-2009 at 07:45 PM.
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Esab

Hi Ya Esab and Congrad's on your new sticky.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Esab; NEEDED: PT-27 Plasma Torch for PCS-53

howdy guys,

I was given a pair of blown power-units, and now have one repaired, and I believe ready to cut....but I have no torch.

The power-supplies are an ESAB PCS-53 and an L-tec PCM-750i (identical units under the covers). From what I can determine, the PT-27 torch is the right one for these supplies.

I've priced out an Esab PT-27 from the dealers, and it's way way more than I can afford.....work has been pretty slow lately.

If anyone has a good-condition used PT-27 torch setup that you'd like to turn into cash, please email me directly at:

metal@fullwave.com

(doing PM's is real slow over rural dialup)

Or if you know of another model# of torch that will adapt to, and work well with, these power-supplies, please let me know which one.

thanks much!

Richard
    in SW Oregon
    Miller Trailblazer-VJ
    Miller Dialarc 300HF
    Lincoln Weldanpower-225
    SOLD: Hobart WW2, 300+amp, Chrysler-6
    FOR SALE: Airco 225/200 AC/DC, Onan Twin
    http://www.oregonstone.com/weld1.html

Post Thanks / Like

Try Giant Tech, they have a model with the same torch as my lince. It takes a P30 XL torch. It may work and they have consumables for it.

Post this question in the giantech Zone.

David
    Real world weldin.

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB Heliarc 161 Should I Junk it???

Hey guys came here for the first time today because my ESAB Heliarc 161 machine decided to crap out on me.

I bought it new in 2003 and haven't used it much, realistically about 1000 hours of true welding time. I called esab and went through testing various troubleshooting stuff and then just decided to take it to a repair facility as it was getting complex. Well, turns out it needs a new High Freq board and another main board estimated at a cool thousand dollars. (and that may not fix it according to the tech)

Well, I just quit my job to focus on my welding full time and I don't want to drop that kind of money in this machine. I know there were some issues with this particular unit and was wondering are there used parts out there or should I just scrap the whole thing and start over with a Miller, Lincoln etc...

Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ESAB Heliarc 161 Should I Junk it???

If you are going to weld for a living, you can buy a nice machine for a couple thousand dollars.

David
    Real world weldin.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do a web search on "welder circuit board repairs" you'll get a surprising number of hits. It may be economical to pull the boards and send them off for TS and repair.
    TeddCo
    HTP Microcut 400 & Invertig 160DC
    Smith Dual Guard MD-510 OA Rig
    Lincoln SP135+
    Hobart Stickmate LX 235/160

Post Thanks / Like

I would follow up on Teddco's suggestion and agree with David R if that proves to be a deadend.

Here's a place you can start your search. http://www.arc-products.com/ They service several brands of control boards including ESAB.

Oh by the way - welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 05-07-2009 at 11:33 PM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

..and some of the places that sell boards offer free online self diagnosis routines to help decide, and ones I have dealt with on exercise equipment tested my board free, with only return postage due if I decided not to buy theirs. Worth some checkin', I'd say!
    "Good Enough Never Is"
    MIller AC/DC Thunderbolt
    Hobart HH180, 125EZ
    Riland Cut 40 Plasma
    oxy/act outfit
    Tons of "stuff", all treasures to me!

Post Thanks / Like

All these suggestions are a GREAT way to start. I'd definately repair it if at all possible. All major manufacturers have let price and foreign manufacturing affect the quality of their products to some extent but you have in my opinion as good a machine as money can buy. ESAB is top of the line and probably one of the oldest welding suppliers out there. If all else fails, set it back and look for the parts to repair it, someone will eventually list them for sell. Ebay is another great place to find parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the ideas, I'll check into repairing the boards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Try Giant Tech, they have a model with the same torch as my lince. It takes a P30 XL torch. It may work and they have consumables for it.

Post this question in the giantech Zone.

David
    David, thanks for the suggestion.....and sorry for the delay in replying.

I too have wondered about using a non-ESAB torch with the unit. Any reason why some other torch wouldn't work, so long as it's rated to handle the 50-amp max output and work on comp-air?

I've seen several others that look more 'comfortable' than the original PT-27.....and much more common too....I'd think that consumables would be easier/cheaper for them.

Like the Trafimets.....or the SP-60......or the SG-51...etc. etc..

Which 50-60amp torch is the most comfortable, 'smoothest' working....cheapest consumables, etc. ??

Needs to work on an ESAB PCS-53 (same as L-Tec PCM-750i).....and work well/smoothly at low currents too....I do a lot of thin-gauge work too.

Anyone?

thanks much!

Richard
    Miller Trailblazer-VJ
    Miller Dialarc 300HF
    Lincoln Weldanpower-225
    SOLD: Hobart WW2, 300+amp, Chrysler-6
    FOR SALE: Airco 225/200 AC/DC, Onan Twin
    http://www.oregonstone.com/weld1.html

Post Thanks / Like

Help!: Esab dp-450 digipulse 450 welder

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to convert this welder from 3 phase to single phase?

Or is it doomed to 3 phase, and if so, how big of a phase converter would I need to run it?

Thanks!
    Ken.
    #1. If you don't like what I wrote, or if it offends you, then don't read it!
    #2. I am living life the way I see fit, if you don't like the way I'M living, tough sh**!

Post Thanks / Like

the only way to use a three phase machine on single phase power is with a converter
    most are rated for motor use, and have a startup and running H.P. rating
    just find one that supplies running power the amps you need, not in starting power, as that unit will be underpowered

lindsaybks.com has a book on three methods, two of which can be built, the third should be bought

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to convert this welder from 3 phase to single phase?
    There IS this method, but it won't work for every transformer setup and should only be attempted on an expendable machine AFTER careful research:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-phase-199832/

For large welders, best to sell 'em and get an engine-driven machine, or build/buy a genset that will run them.
    Last edited by farmall; 03-23-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Call esab tech support and ask for stan smith. he can tell you if the digi pulse will run on single phase and what hte limits might be. I have run one on single phase low voltage power as a test. so they
    don't blow up me. The unit I had was set for 460 volts. we powered the control pc board and ran only 40 volts through the switch pc boards and 14 amps on a load bank. This is a test only. We do not like repaired switch board assemblies smoking on us.

Post Thanks / Like

Stan is VERY helpful, they don't pay him enough however much he makes. He expedited the exchange of my 203 for the much better Migmaster 250 (made just up the road in Florence, SC), scanned a manual for my VI-450 SS (I can email the .pdf to anyone in need), and has helped us find various parts for our older ESAB equipment.

Now to my ESAB question:

Anyone use a CVCC SVi 450i on aluminum with or without the pulse option? I might have a line on one but have no prior experience with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Stan has been there a long time and is the service manager now.
    svi-450i and the dp 450i are nearly identical machines. small change on the control pc board and the svi 450i can pulse if the feeder used has that option. the svi 450i should weld just fine. These units have adjustable inductance. I have a customer that used one for a while, but they kept breaking the mongoose feeder and the owners returned it. the mongoose is a push/ pull feeding system that work well. But has to be treated gently when reloading the wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks much for the info, and for the heads-up on the mongoose feeder. (Cute that they named it for an animal that eats "cobra" (matic) competition.)

Does the non-pulse Mig4HD feeder combine with the Ultra-Pulse pendant to give pulse capability without any other mods to the welder? (The pendant is cheaper than a new pulse feeder, and if the machine has Mig4HD I could see getting the pendant.)

Post Thanks / Like

Do not get to see many of the new esab units.
    It might be best to call tech support and ask any of the guys back there.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the machine, which has a Digipulse feeder with a plain aluminum "mystery box" attached. Stan Smith suggested it's an interface box for a push-pull gun (which I didn't get with it) and tech data confirms that.

Turns out ESAB 450i cvcc do pulse, but require pulse accessories to do it. They do 275A single-phase or 450A three-phase. Runs fine off a 50A breaker though I haven't maxed it out yet.

It stick welds nicely (I need one more cable to run the feeder) but requires an external control be plugged in. They won't strike an arc without the correct external accessories, but they will power up. Keep that in mind when inspecting used machines.

I find it quite annoying, since I want to do straight stick at a distance without a remote, but I'll settle for leaving a brick on the TIG pedal. It would be easy to make a dummy TIG control circuit and plug it into the connector, and I likely will.

These machines have been around a long time, and are originally an L-tec product. Internal inspection reveals they are very well made. I'd buy another. I'm sure the reason I got it cheap is low public awareness. Fine by me!

ESAB could make things MUCH easier for their customers by better indexing their download library and using INFORMATIVE file names. A few days work at most for one person. They could also support a user forum, but all they have is a (lame) Facebook page.

Miller and Hobart have by far the most useful corporate-sponsored forums, so they win by exposing potential customers to their offerings.
    Last edited by farmall; 05-07-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to stick weld. there is a control box that has two switches and a control knob.
    the switches select mig or stick and output on. knob controls the output.
    same box is used with the svi units, Ask jamie or stan about it. If they are no longer available should be able to get a wiring diagram and build one easy enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a esab multimaster 260 and very pleased with it. the only thing I regret about it. I cant tig weld aluminum with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mopwr2004a View Post
    I have a esab multimaster 260 and very pleased with it. the only thing I regret about it. I cant tig weld aluminum with it.
    Search the Hobart forums for posts on DC TIG using helium. Interesting stuff. I haven't tried it yet since I have no helium cylinder.

Inspecting my 450i, I noticed burn marks where the power cables go from the power switch past the case member next to it. Looks like those got pinched in the past as they and the protective strip they run across are new.

The cables were treated to some zip-tied "polyurethane anti-chafe" (strip cut from anti-freeze jug). The insulating material on the inside of the case panels will be replaced with something stouter, though I don't plan on bashing them in.

I visited a local welder repair shop where they mentioned disliking ESAB case interior layout in general, citing the 653 (insufficient ventilation) as an example. I see their point though the 450i has good cooling. FWIW they prefer to repair Miller of all brands.

Every used welding machine deserves a look-see inside to determine what you can improve.

Post Thanks / Like

old feeder interface

Hi all i'm going nuts looking for what i think is an out dated external feeder power supply. About a year ago i bought a mobilmaster 2cv feeder with the intentions of runnung it off my stick welder as a power supply. I thought i was buying the newer cv/cc version witch run's the feeder from the arc voltage. My version has a 19 pin plug on the back to hook to the high$$ power supply's. I consulted the manual for a solution, never fear ! The manual for my feeder, the older 2e, and 4hd unit's all say theres a 115v ac to 42v ac interface available p/n 34351. can't find it . anyware ! the only info i'v found was in the feeder manual's i'v mentioned. Does someone have a better way of plugin this sucker into 115 than i know? should i cut my losses and buy the one i wanted in the first place? $'s tight right now and i could really use the feeder for side job's Thank's all, Rick.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist