+ Reply to Thread

Thread: decent steel supplier south Chicagoland

Post Thanks / Like

decent steel supplier south Chicagoland

Hello all, I've been trying to source a decent steel supplier within reason of Joliet Illinois. I've done ok with my first couple of projects finding steel at some of the local scrap yards, but now the last couple times I went hunting I came up with nothing. I wouldn't mind buying new if the prices were not out of this world, but that's all I seem to keep coming up with. The only places I can come up with do not typically sell to the public, and seem to skyrocket their prices to either make it worth their while, or drive you away. I'm getting ready to start a smoker build. I stumbled upon a few sheets of stainless sheet for scrap prices, and would like to stick with stainless for the project if I could. I don't need much, just some angle and some expanded SS. Please let me know if there is somewhere within an hour or so I should be checking. Any info would be much appreciated for this project and for the future. Thanks, Nick

PS: I've looked online and onlinemetals.com seems to have ok prices, but shipping kills you too. I would like to support a local ish business if at all possible. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Re: decent steel supplier south Chicagoland

Did you try metal supermarket? That is the only place I buy from (mainly because it's the only one I really know of) and buy from their drop zone. AKA scrap pile.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought a couple pieces from there. I asked them on the phone about buying drop and they made it seem like I wasn't worth their time. Maybe ill just swing in one of these days.

Post Thanks / Like

The attitude of the sales guys there aren't the greatest but they are very nice guys.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Try looking in your Yellow Pages or Google for "steel services" near Chicago. There are sure to be some steel sellers nearby. You'll get raped dealing online (with shipping) or going to Home Depot or a retail place.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist