Thread: How long does Argon last?

Post Thanks / Like

How long does Argon last?

Hello all -- first post here. I am learning to TIG aluminum with a new Diversion 165. I got a 20 cubic foot bottle of Argon and thought it would last a long time for a hobby welder, but after less than a few hours of practice it's empty. Is that normal?!? I set it to 12-15 or so on the gauge it comes with.

My MIG will last a year or more on a 40 cubic foot tank of gas, so just assumed I'd get months out of a little tank of argon. Did I get a near-empty tank or is it normal to use it up that fast?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long does Argon last?

A 20 cf bottle is way too small. At 15cfh, you will get a little over an hour of arc time.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

that tank is kid sized you will only get about a hours weld time with a 20cf bottle

i would step up to a 80 to 154 cf bottle
    or bigger
    Last edited by WeldorWes; 08-22-2013 at 01:11 AM.
    Miller Xmt 350
    Lincoln Ln-25
    Ahp 200x
    Smith Gas Mixer AR/H
    Tig is my Kung Fu
    Throwing down dimes and weaving about
    Instagram http://instagram.com/weldor_wes
    WeldorWes@WcWeldingLLC.com

Post Thanks / Like

Non linear dynamics.
    Im thinking because the bigger the tank, the better the economy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    A 20 cf bottle is way too small. At 15cfh, you will get a little over an hour of arc time.
    or significantly less depending on your post flow time.
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
    True, that's why I didn't say an hour and a half.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks, at least the gas place didn't rip me off with a near-empty bottle.

My 40 cubic foot tanks for my MIG welder have lasted over a year, and I could swear I've welded 10 times more and they're still going strong. It that a perception thing or do MIGs use less gas (even though the flow rate seems comparable....)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
    Post flow time is controlled by the Diversion -- no adjustable as far as I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Tig is generally slower than Mig. Especially for a beginner. That means less weld for the same amount of gas
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Tig is generally slower than Mig. Especially for a beginner. That means less weld for the same amount of gas
    Well, that's certainly true in my case... I guess I'm getting a bigger bottle.... Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheapest way to buy argon is usually in the biggest bottle they lease. 330 or 300 CF (Airgas) is the way to go if you want to save $, especially since the annual lease on a big bottle is not much more expensive (if at all) than a smaller bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi tom86951
    Argon in a tank is a gas and it last at the rate you use it in cfh (cubic feet per hour). when it gone it's gone. Carbon dioxide is a liquid in the tank and it changes (vaporizes) to a gas as you use it until all the liquid is gone. Thus a smallish tank of carbon dioxide lasts much longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Not possible to tig weld with CO2 - You have to use argon or an argon helium mix.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tmind View Post
    Hi tom86951
    Argon in a tank is a gas and it last at the rate you use it in cfh (cubic feet per hour). when it gone it's gone. Carbon dioxide is a liquid in the tank and it changes (vaporizes) to a gas as you use it until all the liquid is gone. Thus a smallish tank of carbon dioxide lasts much longer.
    A 20 pound C02 cylinder is approximately equivalent to a 160 cu.ft high pressure gas cylinder. This is because one pound of C02 will expand to provide approximately 8 cu. ft. of gas.

A MIG unit is somewhat more economical on shielding gas since there is no pre or post-flow on a MIG machine.

I use straight C02 with my MM252 because it is less expensive and gives excellent penetration. There can be more spatter than Argon mix but it can be controlled with liberal use of welding gel.
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tmind View Post
    Hi tom86951
    Now that makes sense and explains why this argon goes so much faster. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

How long does it last??? Well, if you freeze it, it won't spoil for about a year. If you just keep it in the fridge, it'll last for about 3 months.

Old rotten argon starts to really stink if its kept in the warm weather.
    "Hey I didn't come to look and learn, I came to turn and burn.... If I can't light up, I'm gonna light out!"
    -Jody

Idealarc 250 "Fatman"
    MM 252
    MM 211 "Little boy"
    Victor Torches

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tom. I'm in the same situation. Cheaped out with the small tank when I bought my diversion 180 and I have already filled it 3-4 times with barely any use. I am definitely upping to a large tank ASAP! Lesson learned. To me, the lack of pre/post flow settings on the diversions sucks but it is meant to be plug n play as you know.