+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Make your own Air compressor hose?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Make your own Air compressor hose?

I use premade air brake hose assemblys. I can buy them cheaper than buying the hose and fittings. The ends come crimped on, no hassel, no leaks .
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ok this has gone on long enough that I finally got a chance to do something for this thread.

Here's a simple easy to make tool to let you crimp your own hoses. It took me a total of 45 minutes to make the tool including taking pictures and getting out my other methods for this problem. The only tool needed is a drill press, and some files. I suppose if you had to you could get by with a hand drill. This is not rocket science here.

First pic I've already drilled and inserted a bolt in the other side of the two 4.5" pieces of 1" square stock. In this pic I've drill a 7/32" hole and I'm getting ready to ream it to 1/4". If you try drilling size the first time the holes will probably come out oversized. This way you'll get a tighter fit.

Second pic. I've cut the heads off the bolts and have tacked one in place. Getting ready to tack the second.

Third pic. I've reamed the holes in the second piece out to 1/32" over 1/4". I would of gone a 1/64" over but couldn't find a drill in a hurry (I've got to talk to the guys about putting the drill bits back).

Fourth pic. I'm measuring the old crimp to see what size I need to shoot for.

Fifth pic. Looks like 45/64" would be the same size but I've not got it. 11/16" will work fine.

More coming.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
    Optima Pulser
    XR feeder and XR Edge gun
    and more at
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Post Thanks / Like

The next installment.

First pic. I've drilled a pilot hole and I'm getting ready to drill the 11/16" hole. Notice the flashing shims in the gap.

Second pic. Using files smooth the edges especially the ones at the split.

Fourth pic completed tool

Next how to use it.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Post Thanks / Like

How to crimp a hose.

First pic. Use a grinder to cut the sides of the old crimp.

Second pic. Do both sides.

Third pic. Pry to two halves away from the hose. You can then use a knife to finish getting the hose off.

Fourth pic. You can get ferrules at McMaster-Carr. They're cheap.

Fifth pic. First crimp. Don't go hog wild on this one. Just get enough for it to start bulging at the gap.

More to come.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

Post Thanks / Like

and here's the finish.

First pic. Rotate hose 90 deg.

Second pic. and crimp again.

Third pic. I actually rotated the hose 45 deg and did another crimp to help push the bulges down.

Fourth pic. This is a crimp I did with my hydraulic hose machine. It's way overkill and hard to not over crimp with but this ones held up for a long time now.

Fifth pic. This shows a whip hose I made one day while in a hurry with my old crimper like this one. I made that old crimper many years ago as a teenager to do my oxy and acetylene hoses. It's done a lot of them and I still prefer it to the pliers style which I now own as well. I'm also showing the old wire type crimper I have along with a crimp I did with it a good while back.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Optima Pulser
    and more at

7. Likes bandaids liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure it is possible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irish fixit View Post
    and here's the finish.

First pic. Rotate hose 90 deg.

Second pic. and crimp again.

Third pic. I actually rotated the hose 45 deg and did another crimp to help push the bulges down.

Fourth pic. This is a crimp I did with my hydraulic hose machine. It's way overkill and hard to not over crimp with but this ones held up for a long time now.

Fifth pic. This shows a whip hose I made one day while in a hurry with my old crimper like this one. I made that old crimper many years ago as a teenager to do my oxy and acetylene hoses. It's done a lot of them and I still prefer it to the pliers style which I now own as well. I'm also showing the old wire type crimper I have along with a crimp I did with it a good while back.
    The next installment.

First pic. I've drilled a pilot hole and I'm getting ready to drill the 11/16" hole. Notice the flashing shims in the gap.

Second pic. Using files smooth the edges especially the ones at the split.

Fourth pic completed tool

Next how to use it.
    Wish I could find the pictures! I joined this welders group firstly for this hose crimper! 👍

Post Thanks / Like

I use worm clamps so can reuse everything. You buy clamp from Auto supply store

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    I need a small section of air compressor hose so I can run another filter off the back of the machine to a filter then to my hose. I don't want to have both directly on the back of the machine with a chance to break.
    Does harbor freight sell everything I need to customize my own hose ? Or is there a place that sells them in 6" or 8" sections?

Post Thanks / Like

I've have worm clamps work loose on impact wrenches. Last time I recall it happening was with a 3/8" hose running an impact unregulated on a 145PSI engine drive compressor.

I was in a gravel driveway and had two worm drive clamps on the hose. Thing whipped around like crazy, blowing dirt, dust, and gravel up in the air. No fun.

I've also had cheap quick couplers come loose and blow apart.

On one job, I was underneath a deck running a couple of airlines off of my engine drive compressor. It was hard to get under the deck, so the airlines got dragged through the mud. We were using palm nailers to install joist hangers as part of an attempt to reinforce an underbuilt (home-owner built) deck. Well the quick coupler on my air line wouldn't lock in, so I tapped it on the foundation. That thing blew apart and the forward half of the coupler shot about 15 feet and hit someone in the head. They were alright (Thank God), but that thing could've put an eye out or worse - especially if they were closer. Again, running unregulated with the pilot set to idle down at 145ish PSI.

Edit: the coupler itself didn't fail - the coupler unscrewed itself overtime.

Since then, I make a point to check my couplers. Stick a wrench on the base of the fitting and tighten the end of it with a pair of pliers. Assuming you're using normal Industrial style quick couplers. The ones with the snap rings holding them together don't have that problem.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 05-20-2022 at 03:06 AM.
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

HF sells whips,,, secondly, this doesnt sound like a section of hose being handled, put some clamps on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fil View Post
    Wish I could find the pictures! I joined this welders group firstly for this hose crimper! ��
    For posts 30 and 31 ?Pics are showing on my end.... should come up for you...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Update. I got pex crimp sleeves. They fit good and tight onto hose. Then I modified a vise grip I had. Crimped all around. Pressurise tomarrow too late to turn on compressor.

15. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fil View Post
    Update. I got pex crimp sleeves. They fit good and tight onto hose. Then I modified a vise grip I had. Crimped all around. Pressurise tomarrow too late to turn on compressor.
    What does you crimp look like? I made a 6 pointed crimp a while ago and it fail miserably. Leaked at all 6 points. In hindsight, it makes sense. I should've just kept it simple and drilled a hole and split it with the bandsaw.

The way my crimper worked was with a modified C clamp. I took some 3/8" plate, drilled a 3/8" hole in it, then stuck it in the forge and then drove an appropriately size hex shaft through it. After that, I coined it (flattened) and cut it in half with the bandsaw. I welded it one half to the C clamp frame, then welded some flat steel guides for the other half to ride in so it didn't twist. The C clamp I used didn't have the swivel foot on it, so it was just the ball end on the thread shaft. I drilled a dimple in the moving part of the crimper for the thread shaft to index in.

I may have had 45 minutes into designing and making it. I just did it up real quick so I could fix the kitchen sink that night.

If it's a hose that isn't going to be moved around a lot (A.K.A. one that is NOT a "snag" risk), I'd use Oetiker clamps (ear clamps). Compressor manufacturers use them.

Quick, easy, cheap, AND reliable.

When I mentioned Oetiker clamps, their ear clamps are what I'm referring to. (https://www.oetiker.com/en-us/Products/Clamps-and-rings)

Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

There are low cost crimping tools available at most hardware stores ($60 or less) if you don't trust your home made versions. Might be handy to have around. https://www.homehardware.ca/en/unive...pipe/p/3298036

I repaired one with copper wire with a home made tool similar to the repair Irish showed in his last pic.

Name:  IMG_7514.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  92.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_7498.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  89.1 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    What does you crimp look like?
    Pex clamps are very similar to Oetiker ear clamps.

I've used them on 3/8 hose, they work great.
    Name:  pex.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  157.8 KB
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

The pex might be better,

Post Thanks / Like

Milton and others sell a Crimping tool with various size dies. But it's a lot of $$ for the average guy / unless you are making hoses every week....

As an alternative, A fella can purchase JUST the die(s) and use them in a vice. similar to what Irish did.

the brass ferrules are cheap.

https://www.alltiresupply.com/produc...e-for-crimping

Name:  52-868.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  16.8 KB
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

21. Likes whtbaron, StandarDyne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Princess Auto has the plier style crimping tools on sale occasionally for under $50 so I imagine HF does the same...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Princess Auto has the plier style crimping tools on sale occasionally for under $50 so I imagine HF does the same...
    Never used either kind
    But I’ve read bad reviews on the plier type.
    Not enough power to make a tight crimp …

Ya know,
    Looking at all of these options

It’s probably cheaper to buy a new hose
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

24. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I installed the pex pipe in my floor heat system, I used a plier style unit that had a ratcheting mechanism that worked really well. It was on loan from the company I bought the heat system from so it was good quality name brand equipment, not cheap junk... might be worth the extra $ if one was serious. I had to put a $50 damage deposit on it, so I'm guessing it was worth around that much pre-pandemic. That copper wire version seems to be working as good as anything if you don't mind the look or have OSHA breathing down your neck.... I like it better than a hose clamp anyway...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you get those dies, Irish? Am I reading correctly that you made them? I might have to get a pair of the dies John T. mentions...good thing to have on hand when you need a hose to work on a Sunday...

Also, do any of you guys put anything (such as gasket glue -- like the brown Permatex Aviation gasket gook that stays tacky forever) between barb and hose to increase the shear/creep strength? With home-done crimps, I'd always be leery of the end fitting coming off like a bullet and the hose turning into a rabid anaconda...
    Last edited by StandarDyne; 05-22-2022 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My factory ends last a long time. Not bent over hanging on them, mostly straight and once in a while need 6 inches chopped off on a coupler end. Wheat,,, you using H connectors?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a die for torch stuff, its ok but really that sleeve crimp should go AROUND the hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    What does you crimp look like? I made a 6 pointed crimp a while ago and it fail miserably. Leaked at all 6 points. In hindsight, it makes sense. I should've just kept it simple and drilled a hole and split it with the bandsaw.

The way my crimper worked was with a modified C clamp. I took some 3/8" plate, drilled a 3/8" hole in it, then stuck it in the forge and then drove an appropriately size hex shaft through it. After that, I coined it (flattened) and cut it in half with the bandsaw. I welded it one half to the C clamp frame, then welded some flat steel guides for the other half to ride in so it didn't twist. The C clamp I used didn't have the swivel foot on it, so it was just the ball end on the thread shaft. I drilled a dimple in the moving part of the crimper for the thread shaft to index in.

I may have had 45 minutes into designing and making it. I just did it up real quick so I could fix the kitchen sink that night.

If it's a hose that isn't going to be moved around a lot (A.K.A. one that is NOT a "snag" risk), I'd use Oetiker clamps (ear clamps). Compressor manufacturers use them.

Quick, easy, cheap, AND reliable.

When I mentioned Oetiker clamps, their ear clamps are what I'm referring to. (https://www.oetiker.com/en-us/Products/Clamps-and-rings)

Oetiiker ear clamps is all I use for air hose

CV boot clamp pliers can also be use for crimping (in a pinch)

:

30. Likes whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist