Thread: Convert spoolmatic 30a to bernard centerfire tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Convert spoolmatic 30a to bernard centerfire tips?

I'm thinking about trying to convert my spoolmatic 30a to use centerfire front end parts. Has anyone done this?

I've read this thread: http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...help-requested, but no one ever said how it actually worked out.

The bernard parts sheet:http://www.bernardwelds.com/files/SpSh_SGA12345.pdf
    Ian Tanner

Kawasaki KX450 and many other fine tools

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Convert spoolmatic 30a to bernard centerfire tips?

MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't click on either links, but I asked my weld supply salesman to get me the parts, and he said they were to expensive

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  30A 1.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  31.0 KBName:  30A 5.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  35.9 KBName:  30A 6.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  45.1 KBName:  30A 7.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  29.3 KBName:  30A 8.jpg
Size:  36.8 KBName:  30A 1.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  31.0 KBName:  30A 5.jpg
Size:  35.9 KBName:  30A 6.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  45.1 KBName:  30A 7.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  29.3 KBName:  30A 8.jpg
Size:  36.8 KB

Hello fortyonethirty, I have done just that to 3 units. Didn't like the old style system with all of the myriad of parts and also had issues with tip fouling quite often. As another poster here mentioned there is a factory conversion available that is plug and play, unfortunately, it is rather expensive. The one that I came up with utilizes some of the original parts and with a bit of modification a brass/copper nipple of your choice and some shrink tube or rubber sleeving removed from a length of welding cable you can set up a very useable and serviceable replacement to the old system. I will see about including some pictures to explain this process better. You do need to purchase the new diffuser, tip, and nozzle as well the bronze liner segment. Good luck and best regards, Allan

PS. please forgive me for the double posting of the pictures, this new format is still in a formative stage for me.
    Last edited by aevald; 09-17-2013 at 11:40 PM.
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aevald View Post
    Hello fortyonethirty, I have done just that to 3 units. Didn't like the old style system with all of the myriad of parts and also had issues with tip fouling quite often. As another poster here mentioned there is a factory conversion available that is plug and play, unfortunately, it is rather expensive. The one that I came up with utilizes some of the original parts and with a bit of modification a brass/copper nipple of your choice and some shrink tube or rubber sleeving removed from a length of welding cable you can set up a very useable and serviceable replacement to the old system. I will see about including some pictures to explain this process better. You do need to purchase the new diffuser, tip, and nozzle as well the bronze liner segment. Good luck and best regards, Allan

PS. please forgive me for the double posting of the pictures, this new format is still in a formative stage for me.
    Hey Allan, would you happen to know which parts those are exactly? I'm having a hard time finding the parts you used
    Thank you sir,
    Garrett

Post Thanks / Like

Is there an issue I am missing regarding the 30A gun? I thought that was one of their better guns. Just wondering, because I use one.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really, some ppl just prefer the Bernard center fire tips and nozzles over the OEM ones on the older guns. They also offer a conversion kit for the Miller Fastip consumables as well, which is what I have on mine.