+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mig like Tig

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mig like Tig

Quote Originally Posted by Atomik777 View Post
    So i tried the "e" pattern

Mine:

the left side was my 1st attempt the right i turned up the wire speed a shade.

snip

I'm really sorry... but you guys are so awesome i had to try.
    What wire and what were your settings?

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Post Thanks / Like

bare with me. Its obviously flux

60 amps, .03 wire and aprox 1/2 wire speed on my 120v machine.

I apologise in advance if my setting are kinda vague. I'm just starting out.
    Here learning to turn down the Suck...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Here's a couple of my attempts at it.

These were some prototype brackets, .125" CRS.

This is a truss that I made for a 9" differential housing: I cut the truss from 2"x3"x.125" tubing.

And here is the "box" from the previous thread. It is actually a cover for an old rooftop hatch that was de-commissioned. .125" CRS.

WOW !!! Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Was it neccessary to quote all those pictures to say so little? lol

ZTFab... Awesome work!
    Maybe I'll give this a shot if I ever MIG weld over Flux Core again, lol

Post Thanks / Like

pictures like that kindof leave you at a loss for words....

lets see them again....
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Nice welds there. I never tried steel that way but have done quite a bit of aluminum like that. Around here before the economy took a dive building houseboats was the big industry. I've welded a bunch of them and the Tig look is how they want the welds to look. I'll try and take some pics next time I get a call for some work on one. And did I say nice welding there fellas?

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well ,

I tried. I needed to short circuit this so the post flanges wouldn't warp. So I thought what do I have to loose except a little pride. This is the first attempt before the storm came through. Will post more later, I think.

Keep in mind, I was sitting or lying on a concrete floor trying to weld these flanges an inch off the floor. (no where else to work or to jig it up). So I guess I'd give my self a b- maybe...If it hadn't been 110 degrees in the shop, it might have been a b+ if the sweat hadn't been stinging my eyes.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a weld on a spring latch picked at random form a batch of 100 I welded today. I'm sure this is neither best or worse from the batch & hasn't been cleaned in any way

A-36 HR steel .030 S-6 wire 75/25 mix. Linde VI-253 welding machine I couldn't really tell you the settings as all I have to go by is #'s on a scale of 1-10. unless I have someone watch the gauges while I weld.
    IF IT WORKS, DON'T FIX IT

2 Lincoln CV-300 / LN-7 GMA
    Lincoln Power MIG 256
    CNC Table with Oxweld O/A & Hypertherm 1250G3
    Lincoln Ranger GXT 250
    Hobart-MicroWire 300
    ESAB Heliarc 161
    ESAB-Mobilemaster 2 CC/CV Feeders
    & More

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my pumpkin seed welds. Simple T joint weld, don't remember the material size as it's been a while since I welded these, something like 1/2 to 1/2 plate. Globular/spray arc. I wasn't really trying to MIG like TIG, but the weld quality is similar so I thought I'd post them.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, I took them at work on my cell phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mrwelder.
    Lovely consistant beads,fantastic skill required, Can you describe to mere mortals what torch movement and technique you use to achieve such results,

Cheers Gordon.
    Lincoln SP-170 Mig
    Hypertherm powermax 45
    Lorch T220 AC/DC Tig
    Butters FM 215 synergic Mig
    Kemppi 180 adaptive mig

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND THE
    GUIDANCE OF WISE MEN.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My attempt

Quote Originally Posted by TSOR View Post
    For my business - custom off road fabrication- it is the customers perception that these types of welds are better. Of course, appearance doesn't really have much to do with the quality. As welders we know that, but for me, aesthetically appealing welds help sales.

Here is a pic of a Dana 60 axle housing I mig welded to the tubes.
    those are nice looking welds

Question here its a bunch of spot welds overlapped or are you using a different technique to achieve this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the nice words Gordon. I use a nice consistent back and forth whipping motion. Slight pause on the backstroke, staying right at the front of the puddle. Thats about it really. And i push almost all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I'm a new guy here but I have no problem seeing reposts of ZT's work, and the diff on that other thread nice welding and some really nice fab work.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakazz View Post
    Hey I'm a new guy here but I have no problem seeing reposts of ZT's work, and the diff on that other thread nice welding and some really nice fab work.......
    +1 on that.... His work is the cat meow... I'm new also and just did the wiring in my garage yesterday . I finally get to use my 180c... I'm a former competitive rifle shooter but got back into being a gearhead ... More time at home with my family even if I am in the garage.. ZT.... Can we more of your work with the smaller Mig's ??? Mine is not a 110v but I would really like to know the limits of my 180c.

Post Thanks / Like

Well here is some playing around today. I do mostly tig welding since most things I build are smaller automotive related projects. Here is some destructive testing for you guys. I use a sort of circular/looping motion, no forward whip. I never leave the puddle. The machine is turned down about 20% from normal setting. This is 2"x 1/2" bar and a 4" solid round with .023 wire and c25 with a millermatic 211. This test is performed with 2lb bfh and a bajillion swings.

Post Thanks / Like

S obsessed: In the future please resize the picts 1st before posting so we can read all the info you type. This program cuts off anything over a certain size so we can't see it.

While the weld looked like it took quite a bit to break, I notice 2 things. 1st it looks like the weld itself failed down the center. Not a good thing usually as far as a quality weld. 2nd is that it looks like there was very little penetration into the base material on the bar stock. It's hard to tell from the last pict, but it looks like maybe 1/16" penetration at best from the original flat, thats left on the bottom.

One of the problems with "pretty" mig welds by many. While the weld may look nice asthetically, it can be flawed internally.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all notice this was done with .023 wire on very thick cold steel. Definately not something normaly done. The penetration differences by using this technique is less but not fatal. There is 100% fusion of the base metals and the bead including the root. Any thing over 1/8" with this small wire would need beveling and multiple passes since you can not make a 1/2" bead without leaving the puddle on small wire. This was to show that this way of welding does achieve penetration with extreme sizes of metal and wire. It must be done properly or it will not be anygood.

Post Thanks / Like

ZTFab is a robot.

beautiful work to all of yas.

amazing.
    http://kawispeed.com/ -moderator and tech deluxe
    www.myspace.com/trickortrack -cuz i have no life

Post Thanks / Like

trying to get a grasp on it. 3/32 rod, 1/16 cer tungsten, 30 amps ? I think and about 65 bal

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, somehow got confused and posted in the wrong thread. Sorry fellas. Leaving now.

Post Thanks / Like

I just joined today, I can't believe it took me this long to get an account here, but alas I started today. I have a twinscroll, dual waste gate turbo manifold for a project car I've been working on a few years now, if anyone knows about turbocharged engines they will know what the wastegates are for, when the pressure between the exhaust ports on the engine and the flange of the turbo manifold is excessive (mainly at higher RPM's) you want to get that exhaust pressure out, the wastegates allow that excess pressure out, sometimes it is routed back into the cars exhaust, sometimes it is piped right out into the atomosphere, the twin pipes I made are out of 1 3/4 inch stainless with a 16th of a inch wall, I wanted the material to be lightweight, I've never welded stainless before, and have no experience with tig welding so I used a 210v miller with steel wire (not sure the diameter of the wire probably a 0.38) Enough talk, PICS!

cell phone pics suck

smoothed the welds down with a bench grinder and a wire wheel

maybe I'll paint them now. I'm open to constructive critsism, always looking to get better!

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

nicce work! watch grinding the welds. wastegates aren't light!

heat + weight + vibration = bad day.

as well, i've heard that on any turbo system, one should fill the pipes to be welded with a shielding gas to keep boogers from forming on the inside.. might potentially end up in the turbine.
    i'll try this on my upcoming turbo bike project as a test. picking up a new TIG rig in a week.

PM me (or start another thread) with anything else so as to not derail this thread.

welcome to welding web!

Post Thanks / Like

If you paint them, use VHT's paint. Work s VERY well.

Post Thanks / Like

the tubes I made actually hang from the wastegates no structural support or wait being put on them, I'll get better pics. The wastegates bolt to the turbo manifold, then the tubes I made bolt to the wasetgates merely to divert exhaust out of the engine bay. Rather than make my own turbo manifold I purchased one from Full Race, they know they're stuff! Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'll have to get some pics of the welders my father and I share. As for impressive stuff, I can't take credit for this piece of art, but as mentioned this is the turbo manifold I mentioned. Hopefully you get a better idea of where my tubes I made are being used.

^those were my first copies out of mild steel

SORRY IF I HIJACKED THIS THREAD! Back on topic now!

Post Thanks / Like

oh.... red top.

thats gonna be a sick build.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist