Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1062

Thread: HF tools that don't suck

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF tools that don't suck

Cheap is good.

Post Thanks / Like

My Harbor Freight 6" bench buffer is still going and it's 6 years old. It's used mainly on my silverware artwork and small stainless pieces. Cheap at $25.00 back then.
    Their 1x30 belt sander is holding up so far. That too is 6 years old but had to do some improvising on the belt pulley. Not bad for $22.00.
    Harbor Freight has really increased their prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

a part of the pricing increases at hf are due to import tariffs put in place in the past 4 years!

Post Thanks / Like

They have also cut way back on their freebies. I guess when times get hard freebies go away and prices go up. The people that really need something still buy it.
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

Post Thanks / Like

The freebies were just to get people in the door. Any tool junkie can’t spend less that 30 minutes in that store with out buying something they did not know harbor freight carried.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

6. Likes Deadsquiggles, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
    They have also cut way back on their freebies. I guess when times get hard freebies go away and prices go up. The people that really need something still buy it.
    I took real advantage when they had their magnetic strips. Those are handy as is or remove magnets from channel.
    I use single magnets for dry fitting my artwork. Works great in designing instead of tacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Walked by these in Princess Auto the other day and thought of this thread... still didn't pick any up though. 50 for $12 Cdn. doesn't seem horrible... https://www.princessauto.com/en/50-p...t/PA0008943185
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Higher prices, changing suppliers, end of coupons, end of freebees. Next thing you see wil be groceries in the stores. Something tells me management has changed.
    "Love 'em all... let God sort 'em out!"

Post Thanks / Like

Brauer 1/2" electric impact. 110V, 8.5 amp, 1050 ft lbs breakaway torque. This thing is a Beast for only 90 bucks. Bought mine last year on sale for 80.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Brauer 1/2" electric impact. 110V, 8.5 amp, 1050 ft lbs breakaway torque. This thing is a Beast for only 90 bucks. Bought mine last year on sale for 80.

Good to know!

I'm happy with the Hercules 11 amp angle grinder. It's a twin to DeWalt's more expensive 11 amp grinder so far as I can tell. And huge improvement over HF's 4.5 amp grinders.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of their little high speed belt sanders I think it's like 3/4 x 8 inch belt or so, I bought it for one little job that I couldn't figure out any other way & it's been good, I did that job and have used it several other times since.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

There great for cleaning pipe or round bar stock. It looks like ground and no rust.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I have one of their little high speed belt sanders I think it's like 3/4 x 8 inch belt or so, I bought it for one little job that I couldn't figure out any other way & it's been good, I did that job and have used it several other times since.

Post Thanks / Like

I went in to a recently-opened HF today, haven't been in one in a year. It didn't seem right. Finally after I got home it occurred to me what the difference was:

It didn't smell like going into a tire store.

All the new expensive lines don't have that cheap plastic/synthetic rubber smell.

And the new prices! $6.99 for the red multimeter they used to throw in free with any purchase!

The nitrile gloves now cost 2.5 times what they cost before and there's a sign on them: "Due to worldwide shortage these are more expensive." Ok, that makes sense. "But we are making only the same percentage markup as we did before the price increase." That's not as honest as it appears to be. The new price earns at least 2.5 times the prior profit, for HF.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes last time I went to HF for some blue gloves I left the store quite PO’d. I won’t buy them until they come back down in price. It might take a nationwide boycott of youtubers etc etc to get prices to come back down to normalcy.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post

And the new prices! $6.99 for the red multimeter they used to throw in free with any purchase!
    Speaking of HF multimeters, not sure if I have mentioned this already in this thread, but avoid any of their, relatively, new Ames line. It's not that they're bad, its that they are re-branded Chinese brands that you can usually pick up cheaper from Amazon or Aliexpress under their Chinese brand name. For ex. the top of the line Ames meter is actually just a Uni-T UT61D (I believe it's the "D" model, definitely not the "E" model which is the top of the line in that model line from Uni-T). You can get it for 1/2 the price or less than HF charges and Uni-T makes a more accurate model for not much more than the UT61D, the UT61E, that you can get for much less than the HF branded UT61D, but looks exactly the same (i.e. same form factor). But I would recommend anyone shopping for a multimeter that you are going to keep and use for more than a throwaway job to head over to eevblog.com and read through the forums, lot's of good info., especially you can find reviews that gives pluses and minuses for just about every meter made in the last 10+ years if you do a search.

17. Likes California liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a couple more pairs of their poly coated hi-vis work gloves. Had purchased a pair to try six months ago and used them for handling landscape blocks as well as motorcycle work. Pretty torn and worn now but for three bucks definitely worth it. Picked these over others because I have short fingers. Mens mediums have seldom fit. Ladies gloves are for small diameter fingers. These gloves in medium fit me pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're interested in a 12 inch mitre saw, the Hercules model is good solid choice. It's made in Taiwan and as far as I can tell it's an exact copy of Dewalts high dollar saw. Righr down to the motor. At $327.00 it's a little high for Harbor Freight but it's still a great deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Their Atlas 40v tools are a good value. I have the pole saw and hedge trimmers

The pole saw chain will come off occasionally but it cuts fine. It is worth having to retension the chain as needed.

The battery lasts a long time. I cut a huge 40-50’ crepe myrtle to about 10’ on one charge.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

have one of them and it's just as good as the dewalt,accurate and powers through cuts.

Post Thanks / Like

looked at this a couple weeks back but by the time you purchase the tool,battery and charger,iirc,it was no cheaper than any other ones at the box stores.
    maybe replacement batteries are cheaper? idk!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some vice grip style welding clamps for $5 a piece on sale. (11 in. Swivel Pad C-Clamp Locking Pliers) They don't suck but the screw is a little difficult to adjust while under the spring tension but other than that they were well worth $5.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=swival%20locking%20plyers%20clamp
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-26-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13

Post Thanks / Like

One tool that I grab for most jobs on car, truck, tractor, bike, or home is a log-reach 90 degree small-nose (not quite needle-nose, so they have some strength) pliers. They give reach, leverage and fit so many tasks that I just grab 'em, even with no plan to use. If I can get to HF today, I'll probably pick up a couple pair for stocking stuffers.

25. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice box for the money.
    Name:  721B6C35-B321-4413-9887-FC6858F1FE99.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  136.1 KB
    Weights a lot, decent gauge steel and nice powder coat, even the inside is coated, no skips.
    We’ll see how the slides and locks hold up. The thinnest drawers are 3” deep anything deeper has double slides. Costs a whole lot less than Snapon’s lower line boxes ( selling one) and built just as good. Some details l like better.
    Ernie F.

27. Likes California, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always seen good reviews on those US General boxes.... makes me curious because nobody markets them up here that I know of...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I've always seen good reviews on those US General boxes.... makes me curious because nobody markets them up here that I know of...
    Most likely US GENERAL is a harbor freight exclusive brand. Look for them on amazon.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist