Thread: Best way to join plates

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to join plates

I am planning on fab-ing up a fire pit for a friend. They have an old one, but want to replace it. The design will be similar to the attached picture, however, the legs and some other stuff probably will be changed. My concern is...what is the best way to join the sides and plate bottom?

The old one has sides that are 12 inches high, 1/8" HR steel. The pit is 36" in diameter, with the bottom being 1/4" HR steel plate. I will be fillet welding the inside joint of the side and bottom plates, probably with 3/32" Lincoln Excalibur 7018. I have attached a picture of the old pit and a drawing of two possible ways to weld the bottom and side.

Which would be the better way to weld it...with the bottom plate inside of the side plate, or with the side plate resting on the bottom plate? As can be seen, with whatever hoop handle is used (probably 1/2" rod), the pit is designed to be carried a short distance in and out of a shed.

Burning out of the bottom is not a concern as of now, since the old one is several years old and they have kept a layer of sand about 2-3" thick on the bottom just for that reason...no burnout yet.Name:  100_2920 800.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  128.5 KBName:  fire pit fab 01 300.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  11.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to join plates

For a fire pit, it doesn't matter structurally. Aesthetically, the option on the left will leave a visible seam unless you weld the outside, too. I would do it as you show on the right.
    Millermatic 200
    Hobart Handler 120
    Victor O/A & Ramco Bandsaw
    Lincoln 225 AC
    SnapOn AD Hood
    Miller XMT304/22A
    Hypertherm Powermax 1650 G3
    Lincoln Idealarc DC600 w/Extreme 12 VS
    Miller Digital Elite "Joker"

Post Thanks / Like

i would vary the one on theleft..id set the sidewall in about 3/16 from the edge and weave me some big fat 7018 beads on the outside... maybe 5/32 rod at 150 amps..mabe 2" every 6"' i like that look and it will let the rain out..

Post Thanks / Like

Raptor is right. Either way will be just fine.

The rain will be able to leak out either way if you intermittent weld it rather than welding it all around.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located. I have some 36", 3/8" wall pipe and some 3/8" plates burnt to fit inside. I can make you a deal. I am close to Decatur Il.

Depending on your cutting tools you could go with the left plan. Tack the plate on and use the ring for a torch guide. Then grind to the finished size.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanD78 View Post
    Where are you located. I have some 36", 3/8" wall pipe and some 3/8" plates burnt to fit inside. I can make you a deal. I am close to Decatur Il.

Depending on your cutting tools you could go with the left plan. Tack the plate on and use the ring for a torch guide. Then grind to the finished size.

Dan
    Thanks for the kind offer. Located in Ark. The 3/8" would be too heavy anyway, as they want to carry it in out of the shed area when a crowd arrives, to give them more room. I think the original was made out of some tank material cut down.

Post Thanks / Like

Update on the pit...decided to wrap the side (which will be pre-rolled) around the edge of the base. That way it can be fitted up easier than having to try to make an exact fit if the ring rested on the plate. Thanks for all your suggestions.