+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Powermax 45 Filtration

Post Thanks / Like

Powermax 45 Filtration

I just received my 45 today. I ordered the filtration kit, but after looking how it mounts, I don't think I want to use it now. I don't like how it just kind of hangs off the rear. The unit will reside in my tool box on my trailer when not being used until I get our house built. I will be running the unit from my Bobcat 250 and the air supply is my gasoline 11hp Champion compressor. I have plenty of air. On my compressor I have a filter/regulator on the compressor outlet and will connect to the 45 with about 20 feet of hose. I think the filter on the 45 may be somewhat redundant. Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powermax 45 Filtration

The dryer the air the longer your consumables will last
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

get a toilet paper filter. Something like this:

http://store.weldersource.com/p-3826...a-cutters.aspx

I'd look around, I think you can get it cheaper than what they are asking for in the link.

Post Thanks / Like

Just fab up a quick mount for the filter you have. Attach it to the side of the cutter. Then it won't be dangling off the back.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a filter on the compressor, and you drain the reciever (tank) daily, then you may not need the additional filter at all. There is an onboard (inside the Powermax45) filter regulator/moisture trap as well. Many users overdo filtration....and this subject (filtering) is overblown, especially for Hypertherm systems. Here are some guidelins for when additional filtration is necessary:

-If you live in a climate with extreme humidity and can see a mist of water when you use an air hose nozzle. In this case you need to ensure your compressor tank is drained daily (or install an auto drain), and adequately spec'd filtration should also be added.

-If you are using your plasma for production work....it is a good idea to have moisture, oil and particulate filters in place.

-If your compressor runs often (too small.....or you are using multiple air tools) it will generate more moisture. Larger compressors and tanks produce less water.

The air for a plasma system should be clean, dry and oil free.....the specs and flowrates are very similar automotive paint spray requirements. For filtration, moisture and oil removal there are a lot of choices available from automotive paint supply houses and at reasonable prices. Moisture affects different plasma system models differently as well. Some plasma systems tolerate moisture in the air with little effect to cut quality, others will produce ugly cut qualiy and short consumable life with minimal moisture content. I find that the newer technology Hypertherm units are minimally affected by moisture.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by txrpls View Post
    I just received my 45 today. I ordered the filtration kit, but after looking how it mounts, I don't think I want to use it now. I don't like how it just kind of hangs off the rear. The unit will reside in my tool box on my trailer when not being used until I get our house built. I will be running the unit from my Bobcat 250 and the air supply is my gasoline 11hp Champion compressor. I have plenty of air. On my compressor I have a filter/regulator on the compressor outlet and will connect to the 45 with about 20 feet of hose. I think the filter on the 45 may be somewhat redundant. Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I think I'll take the one I purchased with the 45 off. I have a nice regulator/moisture trap at the compressor and run the cutter with 20 feet of hose from there. Double filtration seemed extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Jim Colt - based on our discussions, received the Hypertherm-recommended 1 micron filter (#128647 Air filtration kit)
    for a {future} PM45. One word: Solid. Built-like-a-sherman tank USA product from Hyperthrm & RTI.

Now, to source a "45" and integrate the Hypertherm filter w/ additional regulator for game on with the Quincy.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist