Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help Welding Pinhole on High pressure steam line.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help Welding Pinhole on High pressure steam line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock knocker View Post
    It almost seems like a troll. Isn't this an ASME pressure pipe connection? Wouldn't Hartford, Factory Mutual or another insurance company be on the hook, thence be involved. A lot here I'm having trouble swallowing, especially with the talk of it (?) being a government building.
    Yes breaking a lot of rules here. It seems i may leave it alone until Feb. and do it right then. Wanted a quick fix i could hide till the outage, the location in not anywhere anyone would go unless they were turning the valve on/off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug247 View Post
    I almost always carry horse shoe nails in my pockets. They are very useful for fitting and stuff. You can go ahead and try pounding one into the hole and welding around the head, but not my recommendation. What if it blows back out? What if it breaks off inside? Where is that steam going lol? I once heard a story about a guy taking a broom handle and waving it in front of a pinhole in a steam line. It cut the broom handle in half. I also just recalled a friend of my dads getting really badly burnt by steam at work. I was going to suggest throwing quick tacks over the hole then an over lay of beads, but I think Ill pass. Be safe!
    Yes steam is very dangerous. Thanks for sharing the story, wood may be useless against steam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher94 View Post
    Ime no expert but that just sounds like a bad idea.
    Very bad idea, absolutely.

Post Thanks / Like

Leaks happen.

And I have worked on a few Air Force bases with giant leaks. Lol no one cared
    Local 83

Post Thanks / Like

Well gentlemen, i got the job done and stopped the leak. It doesn't look professional nor follow standards or code, but works.

How i did it:
    I punched the sides of the pinhole to pinch the metal and stop the leak. I was able to stop it slightly, to the point that it did not hiss.
    I then used a "scab" technique. Which is a square piece of metal about 2in by 2in and 1/4in thick. I place it on the center of the hole. Tacked 4 sides then began to weld around until all sides were welded. IT WORKED. Now i ran 2 more passes around the "scab". Thats 3 passes with 1/8 6010 5P. I then did 2 3/32 7018 passes and a final weave pass with 1/8 7018. Total of 6 passes, lots of wasted metal and looks ugly.

I will come back to it in Feb to grind everything out and make it look professional.

Lesson Learned:
    Obviously do a better job on the weldolet root welds. If an inspector is there, let him inspect it other than giving him an easier day.
    DO NOT WELD OVER THE PINHOLE OR WELD NEAR THE PINHOLE, it will NEVER WORK. At least with 140PSI behind it. The metal gets too soft and the pressure is able to push by.

Thanks for the suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RodBender View Post
    Leaks happen.

And I have worked on a few Air Force bases with giant leaks. Lol no one cared
    Funny you say that, both of my bosses didn't see a big deal, but were both very happy that i got it to stop. It may have been a "pride" thing because it was my weld and my fault the inspector didn't test it. First leak i've ever had. I really wanted the leak fixed more for my self than to save tax payer money on waisted steam lol

Post Thanks / Like

I worked in some steam vaults on the Elmendorf Air Force Base in Anchorage, it can get pretty hot down in there. That was a cool job, though. Davis Bacon wages, we had a fab area set up pretty close to the runway and watched F-15s take off and land all day long, man those things can get loud!
    Nice fix on the leak!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty dodgy problem... Any pressure at all pretty much rules out any puddle at all. I've seen sealing attempts made with dot welders (basically a spot welder that consumes a small ball into the surface) but never on a fluid or steam system with pressure still in it. Anyway sometimes it worked and sometimes not.

The closest you could prolly get to that with an electrode would be to stab a cold rod on the pinhole and have someone switch the machine on and off very quickly or find a stud welder somewhere. The fix would look pretty goofy with a stud or electrode hanging there till next year though...

Glad you got it sorted out,

Matt