Page 441 of 540 FirstFirst ... 341391431439440441442443451491 ... LastLast
Results 11,001 to 11,025 of 13500

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today!

I just got one also when clicking on #440...

But obviously this page #441 works...

2. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Started on another battery box for a camp trailer.

Mostly 1 inch x 1/8th angle iron for the frame, 2 inch for the two long members and I got a couple sheets of 11gauge steel from my buddy to skin it with the 11 gauge would have been plenty strong even without a frame but I get more support this way as it will be mounted on the two outermost bottom cross pieces.. not sitting flat on anything.

Name:  camptrailer-battbox1.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  170.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Got a chance to work on the batt box again after work today.
    Tacked in a piano hinge.
    Name:  camptrailerbattbox5.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  90.1 KB

Busted out the plasma to finish cutting the sheet panels... much easier and quicker
    Name:  camptrailerbattbox6.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  108.9 KB

Welded on some links for padlocks. Just gotta sand it up and throw some paint on er'
    Name:  camptrailerbattbox7.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  80.6 KB

5. Likes Lis2323, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the rear wheels on:

7. Likes scsmith42, Capt B, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool, those wheels are a good size match... Makes for a nice mobile look.

Post Thanks / Like

These homemade hubs are a real time suck. I need a lathe something bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Show us what you welded today!

Looks like an anhydrous ammonia tanker
    Last edited by Lis2323; 05-23-2020 at 10:40 PM.
    :

11. Likes ronsii, TimmyTIG, Weldalittle, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Got the rear wheels on:

Slap an engine on that thing and you got a beast!

Been following the build...looks awesome...need to eventually see some output photos of consumables...

13. Likes LtBadd, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thatís looking great!
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

15. Likes TimmyTIG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, SC! I'm liking the way it's turning out, too. Hopefully I can get the front wheels on today. I thought I was gonna have to go with steering rods, but that firebox is like a big ol' counterweight on the other end, there's not gonna be that much weight on the front, I think I can get by with a rigid axle with a central pivot point. Be a lot less work and figgering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Started on another battery box for a camp trailer.

Mostly 1 inch x 1/8th angle iron for the frame, 2 inch for the two long members and I got a couple sheets of 11gauge steel from my buddy to skin it with the 11 gauge would have been plenty strong even without a frame but I get more support this way as it will be mounted on the two outermost bottom cross pieces.. not sitting flat on anything.

Name:  camptrailer-battbox1.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  170.8 KB

Thats very similar to the steel angle iron that i pick up in my neighborhood on garbage night. you can always find those old bed frames being put out for trash. it isw a great source of cheap angle iron for small projects around the house. For non critical uses, like home security frames for windows, or a frame to support an ammo box jeep center console, its ok.
    Last edited by yesindeed; 05-24-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Klutch ST80i lunchbox stick welder
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (60 years old)
    Clausing 6339 Lathe (for sale)

18. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yesindeed View Post
    Thats very similar to the steel angle iron that i pick up in my neighborhood on garbage night. you can always find those old bed frames being put out for trash. it isw a great source of cheap angle iron for small projects around the house. For non critical uses, like home security frames for windows, or a frame to support an ammo box jeep center console, its ok.
    LOL!!! This is all A36HR just a lot of it has a pre-patina storage finish on it I always wirewheel the stuff before welding but it still messes with the welding process of ER71tgs wire... but if I took the time to grind all the patina in a weld fusion zone I'd never get anything done

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another quick fix had to do with minimal grinding... the ramps on our big tex trailer take a real beating everytime the cx60 gets on and off And it would appear that during the construction of the ramps they did NOT grind the edges of any of the cut sheet products... because anywhere there is and edge weld there is a crack running the length of the weld exactly(within a thousandth of an inch) where the edge of the sheet is...

Name:  gooseneck-trailerramp1.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  gooseneck-trailerramp2.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  72.2 KB

Had to add some reinforcing bars to the ramps where the 'ramp feet' come back up into the back of the ramp for support while the load is on the hinge point, the original weld is a 'T' intersection tack weld
    Name:  gooseneck-trailerramp3.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  68.7 KB

21. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another quick fix had to do with minimal grinding...
    ronsii,

A couple of Qs for you. Not being a professional fabricator it's taken me some time to learn, but I do keep picking up things as I go...I started to fix a hitch a year or two back and then thought I used the wrong concept so went to confer with a fabricator. I thought it was brilliant that he added a piece of diamond plate behind the frame I stick welded, so he was able to save my work (that made me feel good in itself as I had completed about 50% of the work). He did kinda like you have on this diamond plate where he welded 2" strips spread out about every 6 inches, and I know I most likely would have tried to weld the entire seam even if I had thought to add the diamond plate. He explained to me that it didn't need any more weld and would only warp the plate by welding the entire seam. Warpage is something I need to understand better, but kind of learning. How do you determine how much weld is needed for a given task? Do you just guess?

Also, I was curious, is that fugly rebar how Big Tex did that originally? Why not use a plate on top of the angle, similar to how the one was done on the corner behind that weld?

I've seen some pretty poorly built trailers, some of the vendors seem to have some pretty tight pockets in regards to structural design, and this doesn't seem to be isolated to any one vendor. Was this rebar just someone else's crappy repair?

Post Thanks / Like

24. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    ronsii,

A couple of Qs for you. Not being a professional fabricator it's taken me some time to learn, but I do keep picking up things as I go...I started to fix a hitch a year or two back and then thought I used the wrong concept so went to confer with a fabricator. I thought it was brilliant that he added a piece of diamond plate behind the frame I stick welded, so he was able to save my work (that made me feel good in itself as I had completed about 50% of the work). He did kinda like you have on this diamond plate where he welded 2" strips spread out about every 6 inches, and I know I most likely would have tried to weld the entire seam even if I had thought to add the diamond plate. He explained to me that it didn't need any more weld and would only warp the plate by welding the entire seam. Warpage is something I need to understand better, but kind of learning. How do you determine how much weld is needed for a given task? Do you just guess?

Also, I was curious, is that fugly rebar how Big Tex did that originally? Why not use a plate on top of the angle, similar to how the one was done on the corner behind that weld?

I've seen some pretty poorly built trailers, some of the vendors seem to have some pretty tight pockets in regards to structural design, and this doesn't seem to be isolated to any one vendor. Was this rebar just someone else's crappy repair?
    My beautimous piece of rebar is not stock I put it in just as an intersection piece where bigtex normally had a 1 inch long fillet weld along two pieces of sheet. here you can see the green line... this is where they put a little fillet weld to handle 1/2 the entire load the ramps take! well needless to say it doesn't last long.. as the top of the weld cracks out quick and then it's done.
    Name:  bigtex-rampfoot-connect.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  159.0 KB

My point on the DP sheet cracking was I'm pretty sure they didn't prep the cut edge which was more than likely plasma cut and would have had a nitride edge coating thus leading to the mass cracking on every weld.

Post Thanks / Like

My beautimous piece of rebar is not stock
    Now it's a proper farm trailer.

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Is the distance from tires to fire box going to cause problems?
    Looks good
    Last edited by Bls repair; 05-24-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There's about a 3 inch gap. I figure I can either put a shield of some sort outside, or put fire bricks inside to stop the heat. Gotta fire it up and see what's needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe fenders?
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's gonna get all that hot right there, heat rises. Most of the fire will be further back towards the door. See what happens when I do the first cook, I can always throw a piece of plywood in there temporarily, if need be.

Post Thanks / Like

Heat doesn't rise, hot air does - convection. The problem you MAY run into is the heat radiating from the firebox as the steel gets hot and radiates out which is where the risk of cooking the tires comes from. Radiation doesn't rise, it just goes directly outward. Metal fenders with an air gap on both sides would probably do the trick as a heat shield, if it is an issue. As you say, you can try it first and see how it goes... or put on fenders and be safe if you like. Either way, I'm sure you got it covered...
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

33. Likes TimmyTIG, timrb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Iím surprised you used just a center leg.... instead of 2 uprights.

... just an observation, not a criticism.

Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I’m surprised you used just a center leg.... instead of 2 uprights.

... just an observation, not a criticism.

Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I considered that, and it was going to be a whole lot more work. So I decided to give this a try, first, just to see how well it would work. And, it turned out to work really nicely, so I'm leaving it. I pulled it all around the yard with the riding mower, and it tracked like a dream. I could even pull it around in the grass pretty easily by hand, without the mower.

Post Thanks / Like

Nevermind
    Last edited by timrb; 05-25-2020 at 10:58 AM.