+ Reply to Thread
Page 504 of 682 FirstFirst ... 4404454494502503504505506514554604 ... LastLast
Results 12,576 to 12,600 of 17039

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Here ya go ronsii and I did weld most this box up including the big side one under the hydraulics There’s hydraulics under the bed in front on the gate alsoAttachment 1724375
    How does the tail lift work? It looks really nice... I'm guessing an upright ram hidden behind the steelwork, fixed, with that square tube on two pivoting ends?
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  floor10.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  199.7 KB

Name:  floor11.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  164.4 KB There's a 502 problem,, so I figured I'd repost the welds in question.

Craters have always been a sore point for me. I just hardly ever fill them. It's just an ingrained thing I can't seem to remember to do most of the time. I'm getting a bit better at it, but still seem to forget most of the time,, unless I'm welding tubing, and wrap the welds around the corners.

Now....................as far as cold starts.......................

Name:  trailer jack 12.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  142.7 KB The only doggone way I know of to alleviate cold starts is to use a runoff (run-on) tab, or be lucky enough to have some material to start the weld on, before it actually hits the joint you're trying to weld.

Name:  trailer jack 22.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  138.8 KB You can see how I approached the problem in this series of welds. The weld extends about 1/2" beyond/before the joint

Name:  trailer jack 18.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  126.3 KB Corners are wrapped by backstepping into the previous weld. (that's a chipping hammer ding BTW, so sit back down in yer seats)

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  loader crane10.JPG
Views: 947
Size:  228.0 KB Same procedure here........backstepping into the previous weld in order to wrap the corners.

Now, as far as undercut goes............I defy anyone to find any undercut in the stuff I do

Name:  heat and beat13.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  116.8 KB Terrible position,, trying to weld over my head while the damn thing is only about a foot off the ground.

Name:  heat and beat14.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  119.1 KB

Name:  heat and beat15.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  117.6 KB More of the same. 11ga tubing to 3/16 tubing.

4. Likes Oscar, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I might blow out a corner on occasion, but well............it ain't undercutName:  mutley.gif
Views: 926
Size:  9.3 KB

6. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have to knock off every single mingle berry on the whole box and frame here. The guy is a perfectionist 99% of the time. Total opposite from the last shop. These guys want the best. Gives him confidence to sell and say I got the best out there

8. Likes ezduzit, Lis2323, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Yep and the pointer rod is adjustable to "shoot" angled openings too. Big time saver.
    We have to knock off every single mingle berry on the whole box and frame here. The guy is a perfectionist 99% of the time. Total opposite from the last shop. These guys want the best. Gives him confidence to sell and say I got the best out there
    Do you use any type of anti spatter spray? There are some water based ones that could be sprayed on to eliminate a lot of that. Spatter really likes to stick to that abrasion resistant stuff, just like stainless steel does.

10. Likes ezduzit, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize Crysteel was that big. My whole life I have been driving by their facility on Hwy 60 in Lake Crystal, Minnesota (hence the name Crysteel). I assumed it was a local company, but I don't do anything in that industry so don't know any better.
    Just checked their website and it appears they sold the company in 2005. I wonder how big that check was???

https://www.crysteel.com/products-markets/history
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Do you use any type of anti spatter spray? There are some water based ones that could be sprayed on to eliminate a lot of that. Spatter really likes to stick to that abrasion resistant stuff, just like stainless steel does.

Yes we do. I use the heck out of it but there’s still berrys that stick. Everything has to be baby but smooth. The whole box has to have a hand ran over it without a glove to make sure. I do this a lot,not just at the end. It’s 1620 spray, has a strange smell. The cup and tip get sprayed also and cleaned a lot
    Last edited by motolife313; 02-11-2021 at 03:22 PM.

13. Likes ronsii, SmokinJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep and the pointer rod is adjustable to "shoot" angled openings too. Big time saver.
    Yes we do. I use the heck out of it but there’s still berrys that stick. Everything has to be baby but smooth. The whole box has to have a hand ran over it without a glove to make sure. I do this a lot,not just at the end. It’s 1620 spray, has a strange smell. The cup and tip get sprayed also and cleaned a lot
    Sounds like it's covered. An old wood chisel works good for scraping off spatter.

15. Likes motolife313, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it's covered. An old wood chisel works good for scraping off spatter.
    That would work better than my homemade scraper but I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to using one LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

17. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used theres. I use my 1” or so chisel and the bosses flat berry chisel about 2” wide or more. I wanna weld a drill bit on the end of my chisel. Worried about digging in the metal tho but I’m going to try it with the 1” chisel

19. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just grind an edge on the end of a file to use to cut BB's off the steel. Watch the heat from the grinding & the edge will stay sharp for a long time. Tough BB's may require a whack on the end with a small hammer, but it is precise.

21. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a masonry chisel works well. The mass of the tool assist in moving spatter easily. I use a 4 inch one. Great for raking tables too. Doesn't seem to suffer noticeable damage

23. Likes arcflash, motolife313, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most weldors would clean the spatter off regardless if it was company policy or not. It's called taking pride in your work. That's also why most would try to get the settings correct to eliminate as much spatter as possible.

As far as a scraper for slag or spatter the best I ever saw was a steel fabricator used carbide inserts and brazed them on to a flat bar about 3" wide with a length of round bar with a T for the handle. The ones he used were a square shape and also had an angle on them. Was the Cat's azz for cleaning slag on torch cut parts and also very good for removing spatter.

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail...129642273.html
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 02-11-2021 at 06:34 PM.

25. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I found a masonry chisel works well. The mass of the tool assist in moving spatter easily. I use a 4 inch one. Great for raking tables too. Doesn't seem to suffer noticeable damage
    I use one for knocking dross off of plasma or torch cut edges.

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    There's a 502 problem,, so I figured I'd repost the welds in question.

Craters have always been a sore point for me. I just hardly ever fill them. It's just an ingrained thing I can't seem to remember to do most of the time. I'm getting a bit better at it, but still seem to forget most of the time,, unless I'm welding tubing, and wrap the welds around the corners.

Now....................as far as cold starts.......................
    The only doggone way I know of to alleviate cold starts is to use a runoff (run-on) tab, or be lucky enough to have some material to start the weld on, before it actually hits the joint you're trying to weld.

You can see how I approached the problem in this series of welds. The weld extends about 1/2" beyond/before the joint
    Corners are wrapped by backstepping into the previous weld. (that's a chipping hammer ding BTW, so sit back down in yer seats)
    Not only are your welds very good IMO (I wish I could be that consistent), your picture quality is consistently soooo far above the norm, that alone makes your welds 20x better than "better" welds being presented with turd-like quality. I say keep up the damned good work.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

29. Likes Joegreen02, Capt B, ezduzit, ronsii, Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do pictures add 20 lbs. to welds?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I think that is the same brand of box we have on the kw is... It's from down south could be just a similar design though...

Trying to beat the snow and get this pad in.... Really bad clay here
    Took a pic of the plate on our KW's box earlier... was built in 91' and all I've done to it has mainly been small repairs... no major cracks in the main structure... that I know of anyways

Name:  kw-box-plate1.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  36.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    The only doggone way I know of to alleviate cold starts is to use a runoff (run-on) tab, or be lucky enough to have some material to start the weld on, before it actually hits the joint you're trying to weld. You can see how I approached the problem in this series of welds. The weld extends about 1/2" beyond/before the joint. Corners are wrapped by backstepping into the previous weld.
    Glad I'm not the only one doing that!

33. Likes ronsii, Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Must have said something to Moto other than OOhh how nice

35. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20210213_121030.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  81.0 KBName:  20210213_125812.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  59.0 KBName:  20210213_125815.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  49.0 KBName:  20210213_125837.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  72.2 KBName:  20210213_125852.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  75.5 KB

I needed a tool to remove two cam gears. Whipped this thing up real quick down and dirty without concern for asthetics. Function over form in this case. Worked great.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 02-14-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Name:  20210213_121030.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  81.0 KBName:  20210213_125812.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  59.0 KBName:  20210213_125815.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  49.0 KBName:  20210213_125837.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  72.2 KBName:  20210213_125852.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  75.5 KB

I needed a tool to remove two cam gears. Whipped this thing up real quick down and dirty without concern for asthetics. Function over form in this case. Worked great.
    Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38. Likes ronsii, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Joe
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

40. Likes ronsii, Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post

AWESOME! I discovered a long time ago “function over form” wins the day every time.

I used to take my time to make specialized tools PRETTY only to find I either measured incorrectly or otherwise failed to anticipate “the obvious”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

42. Likes ronsii, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    AWESOME! I discovered a long time ago “function over form” wins the day every time.

I used to take my time to make specialized tools PRETTY only to find I either measured incorrectly or otherwise failed to anticipate “the obvious”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Originally I was going to fabricate that from scratch. Then while looking at my material stock on hand I decided to repurpose one of the several John Deere Garden tractor steering wheel pullers i fab'd up quite a while ago. I think i sold two or three of those on the tractor forums. The idea did not take off as much as i was hoping it would lol.

So anyway when I stumbled upon those old wheel pullers i got to thinking. Took one out to the car and put it in place. It needed to be trimmed a bit to fit inside the gear. End result, 30 mintes later the cam gears were off FTW.

44. Likes ronsii, whtbaron, Shootr liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist