+ Reply to Thread
Page 517 of 682 FirstFirst ... 17417467507515516517518519527567617 ... LastLast
Results 12,901 to 12,925 of 17039

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today

Made an small gas bottle carrier for e-track. I have e-track running the length of the bed on my pickup truck. Used a couple of e-track strap clips and some formed 14 ga steel to make a bottle mount. Rock solid and no more bottle missiles in the back of the truck.

Name:  20210421_175923.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  121.8 KB

Name:  20210421_180611.jpg
Views: 1682
Size:  91.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    Made an small gas bottle carrier for e-track. I have e-track running the length of the bed on my pickup truck. Used a couple of e-track strap clips and some formed 14 ga steel to make a bottle mount. Rock solid and no more bottle missiles in the back of the truck.

Excellent idea and nice job!!

I had e-track in the pickup I recently sold. Wish I had thought of that!!

Here's my caveman version. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea. I’ve been strapping mine to the BackRack,
    which is a pain. I have to put 2x4 spacers between
    the bottom of the tanks and the bed. I’m thinking
    I might be able to adapt Ford Box Link thingies
    to carry bottles on the side.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

That is very nice.

I always just let them roll around in the back, and wham into the front of the bed when I come to a hard stop.

I was told by the LWS doods, that sometimes the DOT guy will hang out near the store, and bust anybody that doesn't have secured tanks in the back of a truck. I never saw this, but I guess it's possible. Huge fine I'd imagine.

Post Thanks / Like

I welded up some bars for the screen I made a few years ago. The pipe is 1 1/4 galvanized (unfortunately) with a 1/2x2in bar at the top and a 2in pipe across the bottom. I ground some of the galvanizing off before welding, but it still smoked a fair bit. Having open garage doors at both ends of the shop with a slight breeze helped, but I also setup a fan on low behind me.

It worked pretty well. The bars are spaced 5in on center and a little tighter spacing might have been better, but that’s all the pipe I had. Some rocks get stuck between the bars, but not too bad. Eventually I might mount the screen under the bars, but I have to get it vibrating before that’d work very well. The deck is 6.5ft wide and just over 5ft long. So far it’s a good match for my little tractor and the mini excavator.

6. Likes 12V71, ezduzit, ArcTan, farmersammm, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you really know all of the work that goes into getting that fish onto your plate?

8. Likes ezduzit, davec, Lis2323, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccogg View Post

I welded up some bars for the screen I made a few years ago. The pipe is 1 1/4 galvanized (unfortunately) with a 1/2x2in bar at the top and a 2in pipe across the bottom. I ground some of the galvanizing off before welding, but it still smoked a fair bit. Having open garage doors at both ends of the shop with a slight breeze helped, but I also setup a fan on low behind me.

It worked pretty well. The bars are spaced 5in on center and a little tighter spacing might have been better, but that’s all the pipe I had. Some rocks get stuck between the bars, but not too bad. Eventually I might mount the screen under the bars, but I have to get it vibrating before that’d work very well. The deck is 6.5ft wide and just over 5ft long. So far it’s a good match for my little tractor and the mini excavator.

I've seen commercially built grizzlies with a second rack laid on the first. They are tethered (sort of hinged) at top with a cross bar at top. 2/3 from the top, each bar has a leg drops down. A second bar is attached there. If rocks stick between, you bump it with your bucket. This lifts the second screen so any stuck rocks drop through.

I intend to make a second rack for mine if I ever get 10 other projects finished.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Reproduce a sheet metal support bracket for a 1955 Jaguar radiator. Not seen much but details are correct to original.
    A few small TIG welds for the studs and resistance spots for the angle corners.
    Name:  1955Jag1.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  141.1 KB
    Name:  1955Jag2.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  143.8 KB
    The punched holes were requested to aid soldering to the new radiator headers in the new core.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  AA512FFE-6B26-43FA-BDF8-B15A53E4AF96.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  105.5 KBName:  5A3A7FB5-6D04-4C67-BD45-6DDC9E72EFA8.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  59.9 KBcame back from the paint shop today. Those are dual shield welds. Got the dog house hole cut out, squared up on the frame under it I built and tacked the floor on, headboard is next which was cut out today And then the sides will go on
    Last edited by motolife313; 04-26-2021 at 08:23 PM.

12. Likes ezduzit, Guardian, 12V71, Munkul, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Reproduce a sheet metal support bracket for a 1955 Jaguar radiator. Not seen much but details are correct to original.
    A few small TIG welds for the studs and resistance spots for the angle corners.
    Name:  1955Jag1.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  141.1 KB
    Name:  1955Jag2.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  143.8 KB
    The punched holes were requested to aid soldering to the new radiator headers in the new core.
    I see you even made it pre-rusted so it would blend in with the rest of the British car! Oh wait - yours is the other one...

Seriously - nice work!
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

14. Likes metalman21, LtBadd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I decided to pull the fork frame off my Genie GTH-1056 telehandler. 10k forklift. Got is used last fall and just starting to go through it. There is a lot of concrete stuck to the fork frame, so I decided to pull it off, straighten a bent section of guard, sand blast, and powder coat it. Two pins hold the frame onto the boom. Service manual says to tap pins out with brass hammer so as not to damage pins. Pins are chromed steel that does not rotate in mild steel bore. And rotates in a fiber bushing. I figured two pins with sledge hammer would be a 15 minute project.

Well, Thor's brass hammer wouldn't drive those pins out. They were completely stuck, I think, in the mild steel ears. 20lb sledge, SDS max hammer drill on hammer mode, torch ... nothing would get them to move. Ended up welding on 3/4" steel frame and putting a hollow 30 ton Enerpac cylinder in to drive the pins out. Balancing act between too much weld and spending a while grinding it off and not enough weld and blowing the plate off to 25+ tons on the Enerpac. Found that happy medium after a few tries.

2" x 6" pin pushed out with lots of heat and a lot of fighting. Used a tank of oxygen and half a tank of propane to get it. The 2.5" x 15.375" long pin put up more of a fight. Used another tank of oxygen and propane and got it out 4". Ran out of oxygen and resorted to the propane weed burner. Without heat 30 tons wouldn't move it. With heat I could get it to move at about 20 tons. Overall it took 2 tanks of oxygen, 2.5 tanks of propane, and 12 hours of labor. Took half an hour to clean off the plates with sledge hammer and 9" grinder. My first time using a 9" grinder. Kind of a different game than a 4.5" grinder.

Name:  20210424_155901.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  133.0 KB

Name:  20210424_161329.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  20210424_203526.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  104.1 KB

I am replacing the pins with induction hardened and chrome plated steel. And replacing the bushings. This machine probably will only be used a few hours a month, so I am hoping that I won't have to repeat this project.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow kb0thn!! That project makes me tired! At least that way of going about it. But one works with the tools and methods that one has at their disposal. I understand that, believe you me. Yesterday I was called out to a farm to do a similar job, except it was on a John Deere farm tractor, one with rubber tracks. The farm mechanic had done his best with the twenty pounder, they had called out another mobile welder and he had done his level best with lots of heat and heavy hammering, but the pin was still in the same spot it had been for the last number of years. I went out there and took it out for them in maybe 15 minutes. Have you ever heard of an oxygen lance? Check it out sometime. But what you did was praise-worthy, don't get me wrong. Best regards from the villageblacksmith

17. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by villageblacksmith View Post
    I went out there and took it out for them in maybe 15 minutes. Have you ever heard of an oxygen lance? Check it out sometime. But what you did was praise-worthy, don't get me wrong. Best regards from the villageblacksmith
    I have not used a lance before. My understanding is that it would damage the bores. The bushings don't matter, but it would cost a lot more money and time to weld the bores and line bore it. Or am I mistaken and the oxygen lance could clean out the pins without damaging the bores?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I suppose it's like anything else. A careless workman can damage about anything. But no, it would not damage the bore. At least not when done right, and with an understanding of how to do it.
    The lancing rods I use are either 1/4 or 3/8 inch in diameter, and 24 inches long. A hole is burned through the pin, and then I use water to cool the pin down as quickly as possible. Then it is generally easily driven out. I think the hole in the pin I did yesterday ended up being maybe a rough diameter of maybe 7/8 to 1 inch. There was plenty of pin left between the bore of the housing and the lanced hole.
    One thing to be careful about is if there is a grease hole in the pin, or a cross hole for a bolt or keeper. The molten steel can shoot out of the hole and damage the housing, I suppose, if one wasn't careful.
    But I have lanced a number of pins for the local John Deere dealer without a problem. In fact, they recommended me to the customer yesterday.

Sent from my E6810 using http://tiny.cc/Forums_reader

20. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not used a lance before. My understanding is that it would damage the bores. The bushings don't matter, but it would cost a lot more money and time to weld the bores and line bore it. Or am I mistaken and the oxygen lance could clean out the pins without damaging the bores?
    I openly admit I've not heard of an oxygen lance. Oxygen torches are great at biggering a drilled hole in a pin. Drill the hole, blow some out of the center of the pin. Once it cools the pin has shrunk a bit. Might have to repeat. A pin that has been very hot a time or two will easily drive out. Same is true of the bushing. I can weld around inside a bushing, heat it with a cutting torch, maybe blow away the inside of it. What it comes down to is heating, it tries to expand. Inside a stronger bore, it can't expand, it compresses. Then it cools & contracts. It isn't as tight in the bore, it can be driven out.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

22. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

oxygen lance, thermal lance, burn bar... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_lance
    basically a long, consumable, cutting torch.
    reminds me of the James Caan movie, Thief, where he burned his way into a bank vault.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_(film)
    Last edited by frieed; 04-28-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC, victor Oxy/Acet

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

24. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s my exothermic lance (aka oxy lance)

Us retired farmboys like our toys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

26. Likes 12V71, arcflash, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron@6061 View Post
    I have no idea what it is, but if you ever want to sell one please message me with a price. Very cool........
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

28. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Motolife313, I used to own semi dump trucks/trailers. You do very nice work. Most of my trailers were Hilbilt Mongoose, but I've owned Galbreath Terminator, Clement, Steco, and some others. I was friends with the owner of Amcor which was a company that installed new boxes on old frames. Your work reminds me of his, high quality and heavy duty.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

30. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya they beat perfection into us and never make a bad weld. It definitely made me better. Ran good amount of core wire today. I’ll try and get pics tomorrow of the work this week. Been pretty rough in my neck of the woods lately so not much posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Ya they beat perfection into us and never make a bad weld. It definitely made me better. Ran good amount of core wire today. I’ll try and get pics tomorrow of the work this week. Been pretty rough in my neck of the woods lately so not much posting.
    I see production welding I reason they go down to Home Depot each morning to hire someone new each day. I'm pleased to see someone building something right.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  A79A7B19-B257-47F7-B8C5-C5BDC7D19D26.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  116.3 KBName:  E2EA27EF-643E-4730-86F7-CF281B8D8E2B.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  69.7 KBName:  667600C7-A48F-4C70-80E1-862FA3C4D16E.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  81.5 KBcut the floor out where the ram goes, did this outside today. Should have took pics of the welds on the sides but didn’t and not much chance to take any more pics. I lifted it right out when done

34. Likes ezduzit, 12V71, whtbaron, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished a project for my BIL today.
    He has nearly 1000 feet of gravel driveway that he has struggled to maintain for years. We try try get over there with the tractor to back-blade it once in a while, but it is more than a few miles and on the other side of the highway, so it wasn't getting done often enough.
    He mentioned to me a while back , that he was thinking about buying a small drag grader/ box scraper to tow behind his UTV.
    I told him that I could build something better for considerably less than he could buy it.
    I had a NIB, excess to needs ATV plow lift that has been sitting on a shelf for 10 years, and an old road grader blade from a friend of mine.
    About the time I was making up a materials list for the steel place, a customer asked if I wanted to salvage a wrecked 12 X 24 metal frame carport. It had blown off its footing in a windstorm, and one side had collapsed. I called my brother and we had it apart and in a trailer in 48 min. It supplied all the tube for this project and I still have quite a bit of tube in the storage rack. It had OSB sheets on the sides too that will be useful somewhere down the road. I love it when a plan comes together!
    The entire cost ended up being less than $300, most of that in rolling gear(hubs, axle stubs,wheels/tires).
    We tried it out today, even though it was really too dry to grade.It cuts way better than I had expected!Only took 20 min to grade his entire drive. One trip up the center to level the hump, and one up each side. That is a definite WIN!

I had originally planned to put a weight tray in between the horizontal pieces at the front, but it was heavy enough without adding any.
    Name:  20210403_173339.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  20210403_173348.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  20210501_093312.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  86.7 KB

The plow-lift adjusts the blade height on the fly by pivoting the axle up and down.

Name:  20210501_115347.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  182.1 KB

Name:  20210501_115401.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  164.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tool Junkie View Post
    Finished a project for my BIL today.
    He has nearly 1000 feet of gravel driveway that he has struggled to maintain for years. We try try get over there with the tractor to back-blade it once in a while, but it is more than a few miles and on the other side of the highway, so it wasn't getting done often enough.
    He mentioned to me a while back , that he was thinking about buying a small drag grader/ box scraper to tow behind his UTV.
    I told him that I could build something better for considerably less than he could buy it.
    I had a NIB, excess to needs ATV plow lift that has been sitting on a shelf for 10 years, and an old road grader blade from a friend of mine.
    About the time I was making up a materials list for the steel place, a customer asked if I wanted to salvage a wrecked 12 X 24 metal frame carport. It had blown off its footing in a windstorm, and one side had collapsed. I called my brother and we had it apart and in a trailer in 48 min. It supplied all the tube for this project and I still have quite a bit of tube in the storage rack. It had OSB sheets on the sides too that will be useful somewhere down the road. I love it when a plan comes together!
    The entire cost ended up being less than $300, most of that in rolling gear(hubs, axle stubs,wheels/tires).
    We tried it out today, even though it was really too dry to grade.It cuts way better than I had expected!Only took 20 min to grade his entire drive. One trip up the center to level the hump, and one up each side. That is a definite WIN!

I had originally planned to put a weight tray in between the horizontal pieces at the front, but it was heavy enough without adding any.
    Name:  20210403_173339.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  20210403_173348.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  20210501_093312.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  86.7 KB

The plow-lift adjusts the blade height on the fly by pivoting the axle up and down.

Name:  20210501_115347.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  182.1 KB

Name:  20210501_115401.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  164.3 KB
    That is pretty cool. Where are the before and after pics of the driveway???
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

37. Likes Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We were too excited to try it out to remember to take before pics.

39. Likes Beefman liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist