+ Reply to Thread
Page 524 of 682 FirstFirst ... 24424474514522523524525526534574624 ... LastLast
Results 13,076 to 13,100 of 17039

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today

I’ve tried a couple of them. Actually 3, 1 of them I liked and it lasted couple weeks I think. One lasted under a day and I got my money back on it and the other was way too stiff, I’ll consider going back to the first one I tried thanks. Actually it was too tight on one of them and cutting the blood circulation. Darn near tight without a glove Name:  993BDA55-D85A-46E8-BB9B-E0DC57734CDB.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  84.7 KBName:  38FB7411-9AAE-4677-AECF-F094EBEC5309.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  79.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln has put heat shields on their Innershield guns for decades and other gun makers have too. I'm wondering why you don't see them used more often for running Dual-Shield? Seems like they would be a good idea. The gloves with an additional back patch and an aluminized heat shield do help (some of the aluminized heat shields are garbage). All the shops I've worked in supplied gloves but usually just the most basic ones. I think if you're running lots of Dual-Shield the company should provide appropriate gloves and/or hand/arm protection. Some shops even provide leather jackets. Leather jackets are another thing where you have to look at different brands and styles. The cheap ones burn through and deteriorate pretty fast. There's also the Carbonized jackets that might be worth looking into. Looking in my old catalogue I see you can get leather hand protectors too. And another idea that may or may not work is to buy extra large gloves and wear a kevlar oveglove inside it. A lot of Tig welders use an Oveglove.

https://www.amazon.com/Bernard-17600.../dp/B005PYP7I6

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Dale-Glov.../dp/B01MRVIISV

https://www.ovenglove.net/

3. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My jacket is black Stalin and works good and durable but berries can get through under the buttons. It’s usually the finger area that gets the holes in them because the berries will get trapped in between the fingers. Had to let my hand off the torch twice yesterday on some gloves with about 4 days on them. I was thinking about patching the holes in my gloves too lol, I think I just ask the boss for gloves first. I’ll look into the Kevlar for under the left glove, or buy a black nights metal glove, I’ve been thinking that lately Name:  A6977BD3-BE4F-49F6-88AA-9F2D5CC7E2EE.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  52.2 KBjust took this pic. Happened last week I think. Got some new gloves that day, that’s usually how it works lol because you get a berry on the same burn 2-3 times it’s hurts lol, I like worrying about the puddle and can’t stand being in fear of berries, burnt my nuts pretty good too before that why I usually where leather pants all day. Where sitting under stuff tacking it a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    sitting under stuff tacking it a lot
    Confined spaces running dual shield?

What kind of respirator are you using?

(crickets)
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

6. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Might be interesting to install a "shield" on the gun you use for dual shield similar to the Lincoln flux core guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

8. Likes whtbaron, motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Custom 316 stainless hinges for new transom door in yacht. My helper, Jesse, did the welding. Hinges are 4" tall, 3/16" thick material.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Might be interesting to install a "shield" on the gun you use for dual shield similar to the Lincoln flux core guns.

Those " shields" are designed to protect the switch and body of the gun, not your hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Those " shields" are designed to protect the switch and body of the gun, not your hand.
    Maybe but my hand ain't complainin' when it gets protected too.
    ---Meltedmetal

12. Likes 12V71, jniolon, Guardian, Welder Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My jacket is black Stalin and works good and durable but berries can get through under the buttons. It’s usually the finger area that gets the holes in them because the berries will get trapped in between the fingers. Had to let my hand off the torch twice yesterday on some gloves with about 4 days on them. I was thinking about patching the holes in my gloves too lol, I think I just ask the boss for gloves first. I’ll look into the Kevlar for under the left glove, or buy a black nights metal glove, I’ve been thinking that lately Name:  A6977BD3-BE4F-49F6-88AA-9F2D5CC7E2EE.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  52.2 KBjust took this pic. Happened last week I think. Got some new gloves that day, that’s usually how it works lol because you get a berry on the same burn 2-3 times it’s hurts lol, I like worrying about the puddle and can’t stand being in fear of berries, burnt my nuts pretty good too before that why I usually where leather pants all day. Where sitting under stuff tacking it a lot
    I use a thin MIG glove for my right trigger hand, and a heavy stick welding glove for my left hand.

14. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I use a thin MIG glove for my right trigger hand, and a heavy stick welding glove for my left hand.
    I may go back to that setup. The gloves I use are stick gloves.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought MIG gloves would be thicker than stick gloves?

Over here, you buy either MIG/stick gauntlets, or TIG gloves... not really a 3rd option. Esab used to do some good heavy duty reflective gloves for heavy MAG cored wires

https://www.esab.co.uk/gb/en/product...num-gloves.cfm
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been clear why dual shield is so much hotter than MIG or stick, but it sure is!
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the gas inside the wire makes for a extra hit arc kinda like helium on aluminum. I like how it’s so quite. Hard wire is very loud compared to core. If your welding just right it’s almost totally quite

19. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I've never been clear why dual shield is so much hotter than MIG or stick, but it sure is!
    Because your typically running it at higher amps. Higher amps equals more heat. Run solid wire in spray and you get the same effect.

Post Thanks / Like

higher amps, and longer arc length - same with all wire processes in spray. Long exposed arc length = loads of heat. Same doesn't quite transfer to TIG, because even at the same amps, the arc voltage will be a lot lower.

even so, dualshield/fluxcore seems to need even better heat management than high power spray mig...
    Last edited by Munkul; 06-28-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Run some large diameter Innershield wire if you want some heat. You can get high heat gloves but the problem is, the more they protect, the thicker and bulkier they are. Found these in a quick search that might be a good option:

https://www.superiorglove.com/en/sil...welders-gloves

For under an extra large welding glove maybe?

https://www.superiorglove.com/en/k825kp

Tillman has some options with a snap on heat shield.

https://jtillman.com/products/gloves/high-heat/820bhp/

https://jtillman.com/products/gloves/high-heat/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

That's what I suggested a few posts ago. Bernard has a heat shield for some of their guns. The heat shields on Innershield guns do help protect your hands from getting burnt.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the gas inside the wire makes for a extra hit arc kinda like helium on aluminum. I like how it’s so quite. Hard wire is very loud compared to core. If your welding just right it’s almost totally quite
    I have a 50/50 experience with dual shield. Sometimes it is what dreams are made of. Sometimes it looks like a sponge. Wish I could figure it out. I believe my issue is about gas coverage as I usually try outdoors. Consistently it is incredibly hot!
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Works good for me. Straight down hill is pretty tricky because you have to be perfect with no mistakes or it will get going and be hard to control at least welding 3/16 hardock 450 to 10 gauge. I did a thicker headboard last week that was a lot easier seemed like. We run 25 volts 300 wire .045 and don’t change it. The wire comes out slow on it at first, then speeds up and thinking about seeing if I can change it to a faster start up because it tries to trap slag sometimes at the start and you cant see a good puddle for a sec Because it’s mixed with slag and I have to wait for it to clean out.

Post Thanks / Like

I studied on that subject. A friend had an early Lincoln 256. He was trying to do layered sheet metal art. It was ruining his work. I downloaded the manual. That function is adjustable on newer models, but not his. He ended up buying a 140 Miller for the thin stuff. I tried to get him to try TIG, but he talked to a good salesman first.

As to dual shield, everything I find on the process says it won't be as nice with thinner than 1/4".
    My efforts to use dual shield have been 3/4" or more welded (in some cases to 3/8).
    Overhauling a bucket, it runs perfectly, then a section full of holes.
    Bird nesting is a constant problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I had this one waiting at the shop at 4:30 am, cracked Eaton rearend housing. Very tight access, got it ground out to a nice 1/2"V,preheated to burn the oil out and filled it up in 3 passes pipe style.
    I see quite a few of these, usually the crack starts in a massive crater left from the original sub-arc weld. The locating arm bracket welded to the top of the housing contributes stress to start the crack.Name:  20210629_080044.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  105.0 KB
    This end looks a little cobby because I added more weld to fill the original crater.Name:  20210629_075933.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  102.7 KB

28. Likes labparamour, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is "stand on your head in a garbage can" welding. Lucky for me it has an open slider plate for the 5th wheel. Name:  20210629_075508.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  97.7 KB

30. Likes labparamour, LtBadd, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    This is "stand on your head in a garbage can" welding. Lucky for me it has an open slider plate for the 5th wheel. Name:  20210629_075508.jpg
    I'm very proud of you! There are 20 year olds able to work there. There are 60 year olds able to create that workmanship. Few 60 year olds with the skill can work there without calling paramedics to retrieve them.

32. Likes _Weldman_, Brazin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I'm very proud of you! There are 20 year olds able to work there. There are 60 year olds able to create that workmanship. Few 60 year olds with the skill can work there without calling paramedics to retrieve them.
    I'm currently in between, but closer to the 60 thing.

34. Likes Willie B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Nice flippin’ work.

I hear Cirque du Soleil is looking for mature welders….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

36. Likes 12V71 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist