Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 17039

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today!

MikeGyver - #1276

Gorgeous work:

were the flange-welds done on a positioner,
    back-purged,
    and done - in advance - of final assembly?

Opus

Last edited by OPUS FERRO; 10-27-2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: sequence clarity

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post
    MikeGyver - #1276

Gorgeous work:

were the flange-welds done on a positioner,
    back-purged,
    and done - in advance - of final assembly?

Opus

The welds in the 1st and 3rd pics were done on a rotator. Everything was purged and/or electropolished afterwards. and I'm not sure what you mean by in advance of (or?) final assembly... Unfortunately a couple things had to be re-done later due to changes in the guys setup etc. so they looked a little less well though out that they should have (driver side wastegate inlet pipe, intercooler angle adjustment and addition of wiggins clamp to outlet tube, etc.) None of these are finished pics btw. Some of the welds were done full pen with the goal of grinding them off and having a smooth, unnoticeable joint, other welds the guy tried to do himself and I had to work miracles to make them even look like a weld, so I'm hesitant even showing some of these pics. I provided some insight to the setup but ultimately I was just the lowly welder
    Last edited by MikeGyver; 10-28-2014 at 12:34 AM.
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Post Thanks / Like

A simple ashtray using a length of pipe for a form for a man at a bicycle shop who gave me a box of bicycle chains to play with. He jokingly told me to make an ashtray for him.
    --

Name:  img_0616.jpg
Views: 1924
Size:  128.8 KB

Name:  img_0618.jpg
Views: 1923
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  img_0621.jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  77.3 KB
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Heres what i did today

Yep, another Staircase

The 2 Large Box stringers, ready to take the steps

Once marked out the treads go in

Post Thanks / Like

A not so simple foot board (for me at least) to a top bunk bed the kids took to college with them to use making a loft over a desk. They returned the head board..... they claimed the foot board to the bed just up and "disappeared". Uh huh.... right.
    --
    Copying the curves of the foot board from the other top bunk of the other bunk bed that wasn't dismantled was a little too much for me what with running out of good weather to continue welding outside. I would have figured it out on my own.... sooner or later by trial and error but.... that wouldn't have happened until some time next year which would have left one of the kids sleeping on the floor over Thanksgiving and Christmas break. The man teaching me bent the conduit without a jig and thankfully came up with a dead match to the other upper bunk footboard. The rest I did. Couldn't be more pleased that a good bed won't have to get trashed. We had two bunk bed sets exactly alike. Now we do again.
    --

Name:  img_0606.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  115.1 KB

--
    Almost an oopsie.
    --

Name:  img_0608.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  138.0 KB

--
    Back on "track".
    --

Name:  img_0611.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  123.1 KB

Name:  img_0612.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  img_0623.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  144.3 KB
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    A simple ashtray using a length of pipe for a form for a man at a bicycle shop who gave me a box of bicycle chains to play with. He jokingly told me to make an ashtray for him.
    --

That's sweet. I bet he liked it a lot.
    Craftsman 90 amp Arc welder

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. I just finished it yesterday. I haven't had the chance to take it over to him yet. I do think he will be pleasantly surprised.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

Page 52 looks pretty sweet, nice work everyone Mike, Gerry and Equilbrium.
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. I just finished it yesterday. I haven't had the chance to take it over to him yet. I do think he will be pleasantly surprised.
    I'm sure he will. Where's my ash tray?

Post Thanks / Like

Welded about 50-60 these balcony railings.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1414528565461.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  27.0 KB

There is my first sauna stove I made.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1414528646692.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  19.6 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1414528663613.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  53.7 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1414528681701.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  60.6 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1414528697481.jpg
Views: 1744
Size:  35.5 KB
    Home-grown wannabe TIG welder.

Post Thanks / Like

And my second sauna stove.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1414528858032.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  20.7 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1414528880511.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  40.5 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1414528894300.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  33.2 KB

Water jacket for boiler.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1414529039371.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  50.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

--

Pretty slick , a ''chain drive '' ashtray ! Do you do wallets too ??

Post Thanks / Like

Equilibrum;
    You have been busy ,both projects look good.

Post Thanks / Like

Gerry1964> One thing's for sure.... if I ever need a metal staircase.... I'm going to try to entice you to fly over to this side of the pond to build it for me. You certainly do build beautiful staircases!!!
    --
    weldermike> thank you so so much!!!! Coming from you that's a real compliment!!!
    --
    lighttekkul> That ashtray was super easy to make. What was hard was finding an ashtray to insert in the top. I ended up buying one from GoodWill and it was a perfect fit. Of course I'll make one for you. You may have to wait a while though.... glass ashtrays are hard to find these days.
    --
    Kris Pannel> I just finished ONE foot board to a bunk bed and I didn't even do the worst of the fabricating myself which was... bending the conduit to match the foot board I was trying to copy. It was along the same lines as your balcony railings. I think if I had to do as many foot boards as you did railings.... it would make my eyeballs fall out.
    --
    Do you make saunas for a living? Those look really well done.
    --
    BD1> Too too funny. Actually.... it's all I could think of to "personalize" an ashtray for him out of bicycle chains because the chains are "holey" and while they would have held his cigarette butts.... they wouldn't have held his ashes without an actual ashtray propped on top.
    --
    Funny you should ask about wallet chains. We went to a pumpkin fest party in Sycamore this past weekend and about half the attendees were bikers. Hardcore bikers....weekend warrior types and... everything in between all mixed together... it was a lot of fun. I don't think I've ever seen so much shiny chrome or so many Harleys all in one place at the same time. Anywhooo... a lot of the people there had wallets attached to chains. Must be for decoration because I seriously can't imagine even a professional pick pocket trying to lift a wallet off of any of the guys I saw wearing the wallet chains.
    --
    gxbxc> Uh huh.... I have. I even had time to start playing with that new toy you "gifted" me too!!! That's going to come in real handy when I start making trellises for plants next year. I'm working on finishing up a rabbit condo right now and crossing my fingers and toes it's completely finished and fully assembled before the snow starts piling up on the ground. We've already had quite a few frosts and incredibly.... it snowed 2x one morning last week and thankfully....didn't stick. Night time temps have been regularly dipping into the low 30's. It's looking like a hard frost is on it's way. I am going to be so bummed when I have to stop welding. The barn we've been working out of isn't heated.... and day time temps are only going to be in the mid 40's for the next 10 days or so. We were partially shutting the doors to block the wind so we could weld but.... last cut of hay is coming and the barn will be filled to the brim with really flammable materials. So sad..... my fun days of welding are coming to an end here all too soon.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

No, I don't make saunas for living yet, actually I still go to school. I was a trainee in company where I made them. Actually I'm not even a welder (I am in my heart ), I'm a white smith (I think that how it's called in english).

Post Thanks / Like

lighttekku> That ashtray was super easy to make. What was hard was finding an ashtray to insert in the top. I ended up buying one from GoodWill and it was a perfect fit. Of course I'll make one for you. You may have to wait a while though.... glass ashtrays are hard to find these days
    I appreciate it, was only kidding though, I quit smoking a while ago. My lungs were begging me to.

Post Thanks / Like

Kris Pannel> ahhhh.... that explains the interesting design that differs from what I've seen in the US. Impressive that you are still in school creating work of that quality. Good job!!!
    --
    I honestly do not know what a white smith is. I know what a blacksmith is though. This could be me just not knowing. The majority of my friends are all Eastern European so I'll call a girlfriend who was born in Estonia tomorrow. Perhaps she will be able to help me understand what you're trying to tell me you are.
    --
    lighttekkul> Phew.... the hunt for another glass ashtray would have been on!!!! I was getting so desperate I even stopped in at WallyWorld looking for one. All they had were cheap hard plastic ashtrays. That amber ashtray was the only ashtray I could find at any of the department stores and resale shops I stopped in at. Evidently most people are tossing glass ashtrays in recycling bins when they find them.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

@equilibrium

Whitesmith, courtesy of Wikipedia

A*tinsmith, sometimes known as awhitesmith,*tinner,*tinker, or*tinplate worker, is a person who makes and repairs things made of light-colouredmetal, particularly*tinware. By extension it can also refer to the person who deals in tinware.

A whitesmith may work with*tin,*pewter, or other materials. A whitesmith who specializes in pewter work is known as a pewtersmith. Unlike*blacksmiths*(who work mostly with hot metal), whitesmiths do the majority of their work on cold metal (although they might use a hearth to heat and help shape their raw materials). The term is also applied to metalworkers who do only finishing work – such as filing or polishing – on*iron*and other "black" metals. Whitesmiths fabricate items such as tin or pewter cups, water pitchers, forks, spoons, and candle holders and it was a common occupation in pre-industrial times.

Post Thanks / Like

Equilibrium traditionally a whitesmith is one who works with a light colored metal like tin or pewter. Usually the metal is worked cold for the most part.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

White smith seems wrong Might be locksmith also. My work operations are milling, drilling, welding and lathing (don't know how to translate that).

Post Thanks / Like

Ah ha.... so that's what a whitesmith is!!! Thank you.
    --
    Kris Pannel> "work operations are milling, drilling, welding and lathing".... locksmith seems wrong also but.... I understand exactly what it is that you do thanks to your wonderful explanation. Your English is great by the way!!!
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I'll keep posting my projects.

Post Thanks / Like

--
    Funny you should ask about wallet chains. We went to a pumpkin fest party in Sycamore this past weekend and about half the attendees were bikers. Hardcore bikers....weekend warrior types and... everything in between all mixed together... it was a lot of fun. I don't think I've ever seen so much shiny chrome or so many Harleys all in one place at the same time. Anywhooo... a lot of the people there had wallets attached to chains. Must be for decoration because I seriously can't imagine even a professional pick pocket trying to lift a wallet off of any of the guys I saw wearing the wallet chains.
    --
    The chains attached to the wallets are not intended to discourage pickpockets, they are intended to prevent loss of the wallet while riding the motorcycle. If it comes out of the pocket while riding, it won't be left behind along the roadway SOMEWHERE miles back. That is also the reason for all the snaps and zippers on those wallets, to contain the contents if it ends up hanging off the chain while traveling.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 10-29-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, we used to call them trucker's wallets. The truckers had the chain for much the same reason... too easy to lose one hopping in and out of the truck. My mom gave me a couple when I was a kid...never lost a wallet
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Kris Pannel> Good!!! I truly do hope you keep posting photos... lots of them. I like seeing projects that are unique and different!!!!
    --
    Bisteneau> Gotcha. You must be a biker. I didn't notice any snaps and zippers on the wallets but then... they were tucked in their back pockets. Wouldn't the wallets end up in the spokes of their bikes though? Some of those chains seemed awfully long.
    --
    Something else I saw that was just the cutest was a baby in leathers complete with leather chaps that were actually a padded diaper cover and his pacifier was attached to his leather jacket by a chain. They even put some temporary tattoos of skulls and cross bones and a heart that said "Mom" on his arms. Adorable. I wish I would have take a photo.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist