Page 542 of 553 FirstFirst ... 42442492532540541542543544552 ... LastLast
Results 13,526 to 13,550 of 13807

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Geez Moto!!!!!!!! The overhead in the first pic looks as bad as what I did today...........AND I'M HALF BLIND!!!!!!!! I say, I say, Son.........ya gotta start uppin' yer game!!

Attachment 1732485

Attachment 1732486

Used to be able to lay these in like silk But never fear!!!!!!! I get to do them all over again tomorrow........welded 'em on the wrong end of the tubing Second time might be the charm
    The over head fillets are easy Sam. That's a overhead butt joint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    For those of you getting tired of me whining about my bad internet connection out in the sticks, I think I may finally have found a solution. Starlink. Problem is, despite living on an escarpment, my yard is actually in a hollow surrounded by tall trees near the top of the hill. Since the Starlink dish has to rotate to follow the satellites, I needed to get up above obstructions, so why build a tower when you have tall grain bins in the yard? This is pretty simple and yes, I know the welds are "farmer ugly" and it will get a couple braces once we finalize the dish angle. The tubing had a former life in a set of harrows on the back of a deep tiller, so it's pretty sturdy stuff.
    Attachment 1732570
    Attachment 1732571
    Attachment 1732572
    Attachment 1732573

That's fantastic - I'm an everything (mostly) Elon Musk fanboy. His disruption of the status quo in different industries make me lol. If you get a chance after using it a bit I'd love to hear your opinion on the system.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

3. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of you getting tired of me whining about my bad internet connection out in the sticks, I think I may finally have found a solution. Starlink. Problem is, despite living on an escarpment, my yard is actually in a hollow surrounded by tall trees near the top of the hill. Since the Starlink dish has to rotate to follow the satellites, I needed to get up above obstructions, so why build a tower when you have tall grain bins in the yard? This is pretty simple and yes, I know the welds are "farmer ugly" and it will get a couple braces once we finalize the dish angle. The tubing had a former life in a set of harrows on the back of a deep tiller, so it's pretty sturdy stuff.
    Attachment 1732570
    Attachment 1732571
    Attachment 1732572
    Attachment 1732573
    How long did it take from when you signed up to when you received the equipment?

I signed up a while ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 1732570
    Attachment 1732571
    Attachment 1732572
    Attachment 1732573
    You ain’t getting me up there…..

Nice stash of deep tillage shanks…and beer cans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

6. Likes snowbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    How long did it take from when you signed up to when you received the equipment?

I signed up a while ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Wasn't bad... I'm thinking maybe 6 weeks? Billing starts on the 15th right after though so you don't want to drag your tail getting it all together...like I did...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    You ain’t getting me up there…..

Nice stash of deep tillage shanks…and beer cans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The vibra till shanks were supposed to get painted and put back on the cultivator last week, but I got conned into helping with 300 soil samples on a University project. That's only half of the 50 to do, and they are heavy enough to put back on too. The beer cans are part of my retirement plan. I'm trying to empty as many as I can so I can turn them in when aluminum goes through the roof...

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

9. Likes farmersammm, Roert42, snowbird, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    That's fantastic - I'm an everything (mostly) Elon Musk fanboy. His disruption of the status quo in different industries make me lol. If you get a chance after using it a bit I'd love to hear your opinion on the system.
    I'll be a fanboy too if I can actually watch youtube vids without killing my bandwidth down to dialup speeds for the rest of the month. I don't even dream about watching whole films. I'm up to $130/mth at Explornet so the monthly cost is about the same once I get the $700 setup running.

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be a fanboy too if I can actually watch youtube vids without killing my bandwidth down to dialup speeds for the rest of the month. I don't even dream about watching whole films. I'm up to $130/mth at Explornet so the monthly cost is about the same once I get the $700 setup running.
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm paying $45/mo for 1.5 meg download speed. But, despite being slow by today's standards, I'm ok with YouTube........no buffering. And I'm unlimited as far as usage goes.

We have a new deal coming in about a month. The electric company has piggybacked fiber cable on their poles, and the price will be about $56 for a bazillion megs, unlimited. The brochure is out in the truck, I'll have to take a look at the speed/price to make certain. There's something like 4 options.

12. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    The over head fillets are easy Sam. That's a overhead butt joint
    Are those open root? I thought it looked like a fillet, my bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the brochure.

Name:  pipe stands69.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  195.9 KB

Name:  pipe stands70.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  88.4 KB

They have to trench the cable from the pole on the highway. I'm not sure how many connections you're allowed, I imagine probably one. But that wouldn't cover the TV, and the UGIF Global Trading Center in the back room. I'll have to call them, and ask.

THINK OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just imagine how much totally useless info I could spread to the world over a fast connection like this!!!!!!!!!!!

K'kins is having sweet dreams of being able to subscribe to the sports networks, and watch football 24/7

I'd be happy to die this minute if I could get CNBC And Bloomberg

I need to rest...................I'm spent

15. Likes whtbaron, bfjou812 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You should need only 1 connection. Attach it to a router in your house(either wired or wifi or both) and set up a network. Others may be more familiar with this tech than me.
    ---Meltedmetal

17. Likes farmersammm, whtbaron, Roert42, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Are those open root? I thought it looked like a fillet, my bad.
    Not that one. Pretty much not gap. With a gap u gotta haul a$$

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I thought our country's infrastructure was bad... but most people in most of the UK can get fibre internet to the exchange and get around 20mb/s plus. I think we get 55mb/s last time I checked, but we're in town and on fibre. For £30/month (quite high price since it's a high speed deal)

Where we suck, is mobile internet and even 2g reception for calls/texts. Even some city areas have terrible mobile internet.

Europe have the best mobile internet IMO. I can't remember ever not having mobile reception out in France, Italy, Austria, Germany etc. Even up a mountain in back country, we could watch youtube when we needed a break from skiing!
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Wow. I thought our country's infrastructure was bad... but most people in most of the UK can get fibre internet to the exchange and get around 20mb/s plus. I think we get 55mb/s last time I checked, but we're in town and on fibre....
    It depends on where you are here... you have to remember Canada is geographically very large with a relatively small population outside of the cities. I have a fiber optic cable like Sam's running in the ditch at the south end of my farm, just 3/4's of a mile from the buildings, but I can't tap into it. It goes to towns with more than 500 people (or smaller if you can play the bi-lingual card, or a native reserve). My closest town is 60 people so they won't even get it and there's not much chance of anyone else building up a service for such a small market. The hutterite colonies (basically private towns of 120 or so) are knifing in their own fiber optics but it's all in house, so I can't tap into that one that's only a mile away either. Cities have all kinds of bundled services, but not so out in the sticks. Phone service sucks too... I see cars parked on the top of the hill at the south end of the farm all the time. They are catching up on their calls before they drive into dead areas of service. My next step is to add a cheap booster into each of the buildings so we can at least use the phones in the yard. My wife just had her 2nd knee replacement and isn't getting around well, but she can't phone 300 ft from the house to the shop.

I just ran one of those internet speed tests. My average upload is .21 Mbps, average download is 4.36 Mbps..... not sure what that means, but it's slow and it's the best I can get short of Starlink. I'll have to re-run that test when I get switched over. https://testmy.net/auto?extraID=A&st...me=1&xtimes=12
    Last edited by whtbaron; 10-25-2021 at 11:20 AM.

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on where you are here... you have to remember Canada is geographically very large with a relatively small population outside of the cities. I have a fiber optic cable like Sam's running in the ditch at the south end of my farm, just 3/4's of a mile from the buildings, but I can't tap into it. It goes to towns with more than 500 people (or smaller if you can play the bi-lingual card, or a native reserve). My closest town is 60 people so they won't even get it and there's not much chance of anyone else building up a service for such a small market. The hutterite colonies (basically private towns of 120 or so) are knifing in their own fiber optics but it's all in house, so I can't tap into that one that's only a mile away either. Cities have all kinds of bundled services, but not so out in the sticks. Phone service sucks too... I see cars parked on the top of the hill at the south end of the farm all the time. They are catching up on their calls before they drive into dead areas of service. My next step is to add a cheap booster into each of the buildings so we can at least use the phones in the yard. My wife just had her 2nd knee replacement and isn't getting around well, but she can't phone 300 ft from the house to the shop.

I just ran one of those internet speed tests. My average upload is .21 Mbps, average download is 4.36 Mbps..... not sure what that means, but it's slow and it's the best I can get short of Starlink. I'll have to re-run that test when I get switched over. https://testmy.net/auto?extraID=A&st...me=1&xtimes=12
    Yeah I'm with you, I suppose we are a lot more crammed in, in UK. Population density is a lot higher on average.
    Up til the last couple of years the farm (outside of town a couple of miles) only got around 4mb/s download as well.

It'll be interesting to see what Starlink is like.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Yeah I'm with you, I suppose we are a lot more crammed in, in UK. Population density is a lot higher on average.
    Up til the last couple of years the farm (outside of town a couple of miles) only got around 4mb/s download as well.

It'll be interesting to see what Starlink is like.
    Vermont too is pretty rural. The two towns here are considered one 1200 people in 74 square miles. The little phone company maybe 20 towns got a huge Federal grant to provide fiber optics to all their customers. We've had fiber several years now. I get television signal, (sort of like cable, 100 channels you wouldn't care to watch), internet & telephone. First it cost $75. a month, now $230.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

23. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That starlink seems like a pretty good deal. We have cable internet, $80 a month for what is about .2mbs up and 5mbs down actual. Just the internet. Vs $100 a month for 50 to 150mbs, and promises to get better over time.

Now if only I wasn't half way down a valley with trees everywhere.

I wounder if my neighbor would let me put the satellite dish on the top of his Ham radio tower. I'm sure it wouldn't cause any issues at all.
    Airco Auto-Pak 130

Forney 235AC/DC

25. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as the bottom of your dish is above his antenna you should be ok. The reason I had to make the long extension for mine was to clear the bin lid and auger when the bin is being filled, or we would lose internet while I had an auger in place. You would probably have to make something similar. Took a little grinding and filing to make the tubing fit right with the tube on the bottom of the dish.

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

27. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't do much of anything with my internet connection today... But I got my excavator blade upgrade started.

Name:  PXL_20211025_171139603.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  132.9 KB
    Glen

Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

29. Likes ezduzit, Munkul, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Receiver hitch?
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, and a 3 inch height increase. The blade was pathetically small originally.
    Glen

Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

32. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me and the homie running hardwire. I'm doing the overhead on the bottom of the bottom foot step. Doing the outside steps now. Boss wants them all within a 32nd in all directions on the outside. Name:  20211026_092436.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  83.8 KBName:  20211026_143001.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  86.1 KB
    Last edited by motolife313; 10-26-2021 at 06:34 PM.

34. Likes ezduzit, whtbaron, Keith Merrell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that top step pitched down to the left?

36. Likes Roert42, motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Is that top step pitched down to the left?

1/32' not 1/32"

Airco Auto-Pak 130

Forney 235AC/DC

38. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Hitch.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  117.1 KBName:  Hitch2.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  119.1 KBName:  Rig.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  199.8 KB

Not today, not all welding. The original hitch when I bought the earlier truck 16? years ago, was mounted to the dump body. I never liked it, it caused some problems. Seemed to flare up when an extra son was using a borrowed trailer with no trailer brakes, carrying a 22000 LB telehandler down a steep mountain. Truck body dumped & dragged the receiver, bending it.

I was pleased nobody got hurt. I made a new rule: no more borrowed trailers down steep mountains with no brakes carrying 22000 LB telehandlers.

I also added a pin lock at front of the dump body.

I never liked the hitch geometry, & when Arc Tan brought up the subject of proper hitches, I inspected & found cracks.

New hitch is attached to the truck frame, not the dump. Ring is 27? inches forward of the old one.

My toughest critic says tongue is low. 2" lower at front of bed than at rear. Ring can move in increments of 4.5", I don't see the value of going that far. Moving the pintle on the hitch plate will yield level trailer.

It has been a tough project, welder wouldn't work!

40. Likes whtbaron, 12V71, ArcTan liked this post