+ Reply to Thread
Page 600 of 682 FirstFirst ... 100500550590598599600601602610650 ... LastLast
Results 14,976 to 15,000 of 17039

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today

the first day of a 40 year career at USS I saw this poem on the breakroom walk...stuck with me ever since

Name:  there-is-no-indispensable-man.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  185.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    How do you figure? You basically agreed with me albeit with good explicit examples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sort of my backhanded way of agreeing with you.

I felt pretty confident of the loyalty of this small scale builder. We were friends, I had given him excellent service for 19 years. I worked alone in those days & did about 1500 hours a year for him. I had others I worked for & sometimes giving him preferential scheduling caused other customers a problem. I surely did not expect to lose my biggest customer for taking a week with my family scheduled many months in advance.

I've got many other examples. I've concluded loyalty is not something real, only a romantic notion.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple years ago, the CEO of my company. Multimillion dollar international company. Was fired after 35 years of service.

Started as an entry level mechanical/electrical apprentice.
    Worked his way up.
    Service manager.
    Project manager.
    Technical director of the US branch.
    Got an MBA while working.
    Operations manager.
    CEO of US branch.
    CEO of international corporation.

We had a bad year due to some people trying to shove some poorly tested equipment out the door. Factory wanted to invoice a couple machines to help recoup R+D cost on new design.

Board of directors dropped him like a hot bag of turds.

Messed him up pretty bad in the head. Called me (just a low level mechanic) up practically crying one nice, trashed.

He learned his lesson, and now he is CEO of a direct competitor.
    Airco Auto-Pak 130

Forney 235AC/DC

Miller Econo Tig

4. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of Corporate BS is this? I agree with being humble but get your priorities straight first and foremost.

PRIORITIES 101:
    You: Anyone you care about
    Company: profits

Jobs, bosses, money, companies, things, ALL REPLACEABLE. LIFE IS WORTH MUCH MORE THAN GOLD.

YOU are irreplaceable to those that love you, just as THEY are to you. Your Time is irreplaceable. You will never get back lost experiences.

You will NEVER get back time you lost or didn't spend with loved ones. Your work is not who you are, or what's most important in your life.

You work to provide for those you care about first, not to make your company shine or your boss rich.

You think the work is that important to your boss/company? suggest they do it free, see how fast that theory goes out the window.

Your current boss would fire you in a heartbeat if their livelihood was truly at stake.

I hope you find someone to replace your Mother and Father when they pass, so your boss can buy another sports car.

Quote Originally Posted by jniolon View Post
    the first day of a 40 year career at USS I saw this poem on the breakroom walk...stuck with me ever since

Last edited by SlowBlues; 06-30-2022 at 02:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't take any pictures because well I don't take my phone with me outside of the breakroom. But had to weld up a crack in a housing more or less. About 2 inches long and ¾ of an inch wide. Closed it up with some ³/³² 6010 rods. Then went over the whole surface about 4 inches wide by 5 inches long with some hardfacing rod. The area sees alot of wear from water and rocks. Didn't leak when we started back up so I'm happy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7. Likes whtbaron, Don52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

600 pages of what guys welded... that's pretty cool. I bet the OP didn't see this carrying on so long...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

9. Likes 52 Ford, 12V71, _Weldman_, Don52, 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember saying wow page 100

11. Likes 52 Ford, 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  06A009B5-D36B-427F-9128-F2790A5EB5E8.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  154.6 KBName:  BAAA5457-04D9-4E68-A956-F9DFF5389F47.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  147.8 KBhad to cut a whole crap load of this things and they were arc gouging the corner off at first and then grinding them to match the angle on the webbing. After they said there is 500 I was thinking at lunch better set up a jig to plasma cut the angle because they took a while to grind. And a guy came up with this jig that probably made the job go by 10x’s as fast. I was on this job the last 2 days. Luckily learned to run the track torch and run the torch better then I knew how and did most the cutting. These are for bleachers at a college for sports I believe. Escaped the job today when there were only a couple dozen or so left to grind to start welding the bleachers together. This uphill business is little easier then I though. Had the wire down pretty low to get the hang of it. 57 year old woman running the other side

Post Thanks / Like

Not the sexiest thing I ever welded…

Gar

Name:  D15B84DA-EF84-461E-A0F4-5E0B9286FFF8.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  207.3 KB
    Name:  5130A1D2-484B-4126-8625-16236AAD49AA.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  58.8 KB
    Lincoln Electric, Power MIG 256
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    600 pages of what guys welded... that's pretty cool. I bet the OP didn't see this carrying on so long...
    I started my own thread on another forum (heavy equipment forums), going on a year July 1st and it has 98 pages of my adventures. Never thought I did that much in a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    I started my own thread on another forum (heavy equipment forums), going on a year July 1st and it has 98 pages of my adventures. Never thought I did that much in a year.
    Please post a link to your thread on the other forum.

-Don
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Mast Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport
    Lincoln LE 31 MP & Lincoln 210 MP
    Everlast PowerTIG 400 EXT

16. Likes Lis2323, 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
    Please post a link to your thread on the other forum.

-Don
    https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com...-monkey.89926/
    You have to get an account over there to view it, enjoy going down the rabbit hole if you do

18. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron, ArcTan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today!

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodTroy View Post
    I've seen those units in Europe and Japan.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    They are taking over here. Mostly because you cannot get good HVAC guys to install zone dampers on the more regular split systems that also can be ordered with heat pumps.

This is what they look like installed. They are going to do something under them probably pavers.

Name:  SenvilleUnits.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  547.1 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

20. Likes whtbaron, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Wow I have never seen an HVAC unit that is orieted that way with the fan blowing sideways vs straight up. Wondering if that is so snow etc won't gather over the fan openings. Interesting.
    It's called a mini-split. Look em up.

That looks to be a fairly big unit. Ya know those HVAC units that are bolted to the wall in a hotel room? It's basically like that - except the newer ones are actually pretty nice. Quiet, efficient, etc. You can even get DIY kits that you don't have to charge after install.

I built a lean-to roof over one for some some people (since I AM talking to N2 Welding, I'll mention that they were hot lesbians in their 20's. I could say more LOL). It was in the teens or twenties out (That's 20 Degrees Freedom, of course). That unit would cut on every 5 or 6 minutes (maybe more?) to defrost and it'd freeze my *** off with that fan blowing.

If you spent less time being active and more time sitting on your A watching YouTube, you'd have heard about Mr.Cool by now. They make mini-splits and sponsor a lot of higher profile YouTube channels. Abom79 (machinist on YouTube) just installed some units in his new shop.

Post Thanks / Like

You watch AC film clips on You Tube??
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

23. Likes 52 Ford, Gar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL Nahhhh.

Abom79 made a video about his new shop. I DO know a few HVAC techs. Mostly commercial HVAC, but apparently they use minisplits there, too.

25. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only when I need to learn how to repair the ac unit.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

27. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford, 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jniolon View Post

I am going to have to disagree with that. I have known some of the greats that really are not well known during their lives because they are too busy perfecting tools, procedures, and products. They are often worked into the ground because they keep the bar too high and are actually hated by many. When they go the level of water in the bucket gets so low there isn’t any for anyone. We have fallen over 250 years into the dark ages. Sure we have trinkets and bobbles and a lot of extra taxes and things we have to do to keep our trinkets and bobbles going but our quality of life has actually fallen.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    Many years ago my boss came out to my draw where I kept all the shop drawings I made. It was a mess you could not even close the draw. He started neatening them up and said “holy ****, look how many rails you made.” It was hundreds of rails he could not believe it. Plus all the steel and stainless duct I welded up for Laundromats and hospitals as well as being an HVAC technician. I would often install the rails on Saturdays. But I would make them before and after I would go out on calls or while making duct work. It is amazing how much a human being is capable of.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

30. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    It's called a mini-split. Look em up.

That looks to be a fairly big unit. Ya know those HVAC units that are bolted to the wall in a hotel room? It's basically like that - except the newer ones are actually pretty nice. Quiet, efficient, etc. You can even get DIY kits that you don't have to charge after install.

I built a lean-to roof over one for some some people (since I AM talking to N2 Welding, I'll mention that they were hot lesbians in their 20's. I could say more LOL). It was in the teens or twenties out (That's 20 Degrees Freedom, of course). That unit would cut on every 5 or 6 minutes (maybe more?) to defrost and it'd freeze my *** off with that fan blowing.

If you spent less time being active and more time sitting on your A watching YouTube, you'd have heard about Mr.Cool by now. They make mini-splits and sponsor a lot of higher profile YouTube channels. Abom79 (machinist on YouTube) just installed some units in his new shop.
    They blow cold air outside when in heat pump mode. They blow hot air outside when they are in air conditioning mode. You need more Youtube videos, haha. The outdoor unit in heat mode acts like an evaporator which for AC in AC mode is indoors. The 410-a refrigerant can get as low as 51 degrees below zero to absorb heat from the outdoors. Then when that same freon/refrigerant is compressed under pressure it gets hot and makes heat inside in the now condenser in heat pump mode. There is a valve that just changes the function of the two units, turning the condenser into an evaporator and an evaporator into a condenser.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

32. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You just made that up. Everyone knows it's a centrifugal switch off the thermostat that activates electric bars creating superheat.

34. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

a mini split would be nice for my garage/home gym but just not practical.

i will continue to drag my azz out of bed early until the fall.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Only problem here is the guys that make the bad welds don't learn much. I learned early by fixing my own mistakes.
    He might just be repairing all the stuff from the guy/gal they just sacked, perhaps the guy/gal he just replaced.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

37. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya, there should never be a repair on these simple joints.

Post Thanks / Like

Little MIG and TIG work last night. Could have cleaned up the flash rust on the plates a little better. After I cut these out I normally place them in a muriatic acid bath to get off the dross and then after rinsing them I blast them. Been humid here lately and they rust quickly if they aren't coated within a day or two. The aluminum cubes are just for practice. For me TIG welding is such a perishable skill I need to do it often or learn it all over again.

Name:  welded gable parts.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  133.7 KB

Name:  welded gable parts1.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  152.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3641.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3642.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  55.9 KB
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma
    Died and needs a new circuit board so its an expensive boat anchor now
    Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist