Page 540 of 551 FirstFirst ... 40440490530538539540541542550 ... LastLast
Results 13,476 to 13,500 of 13753

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I was deep tilling on a Friday night... long weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) so I was cursed. Broke a retaining pin in the deep tiller that I had welded before... probably about 3 or 4 yrs ago.
    Attachment 1732067

Decided this time I would try the magic rods I bought to fix the CAT loader and see if they last any longer than the 7014 I likely used last time. Not much room to work due to the design and it has to be ground down to fit so I can't add reinforcement. Good news is that this is the only one I've broke so I'll have to grab a couple new ones for spares. Pretty blue rods go well with the Dialarc.
    Attachment 1732068
    Attachment 1732069

Snug fit but a little persuasion from the BFH got me back in business.... holding good so far...
    Attachment 1732070
    Attachment 1732071
    I guess I never noticed, but do you own a milling machine and lathe? Be a fast fix to just make another pin (unless you happen to be me, and insist on making it to ISO 9001 standards, which would get it back in the field sometime in 2025 at my pace)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ArcTan View Post
    When will I ever be done fixing this Harley rake so I can use it??

Attachment 1732157

Attachment 1732158

Attachment 1732159

Attachment 1732160

And some dual shield:
    Attachment 1732161
    I'm lookin' at this thing, and wondering why it's so damn muddy, and generally messy lookin'. I'm figuring it had to be one abused motorcycle Just didn't seem right, then I Googled a "Harley Rake"Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 687
Size:  13.7 KB

3. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I guess I never noticed, but do you own a milling machine and lathe? Be a fast fix to just make another pin (unless you happen to be me, and insist on making it to ISO 9001 standards, which would get it back in the field sometime in 2025 at my pace)
    No milling machine or lathe... but I'm really good with the grinder. I was thinking about that too. If I could find a length of shaft material close to the right diameter, I could just drill it and be back in business. I might try it yet, but for a Friday night on the long weekend this was the quick fix. My only concern with a softer material is that instead of a clean break, it could bend before it snaps and be realllly difficult to get out of there. For most machines I have a pretty good stash of spare parts, but this one is a bit of an odd duck and I haven't found an exact match for a parts machine.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Yes, I'm sure they will, they rarely disappoint me that way. It's for a sheet metal cover over 2 - 12"x16" cartridge filters on a powder dump station.

I guess its kind of job security. There is no end to fixing while the "inexperienced", and the "over eager" roam the plant with 8000lb fork trucks, or big vise grips and hammers .

Done using a Primeweld MIG180 scratch start in MMA mode :

Attachment 1732153

Set a 54 amps DC, 3/32"tungsten #6 gas lens 20 cfh Argon, 1/16" 308 filler , 1/8"x 1-1/2" Flat bar 304 s/s
    An all too familiar concept. Ain't much electrical that'll stand up to a gorilla on a fork lift, loader, or excavator. You can train a monkey to drive a heavy machine, then it'll drive like a monkey.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

6. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stormy here all day so decided to get in a little TIG practice. The “soccer ball” is 12 gauge steel. Did some of the welds with 309 SS just for practice. The Texas logo star is 16 gauge steel welded with 1/16” 309. Also made up an aluminum 3D star made from .125” 6061 welded with 3/32 4043. Did a little butt joint practice on .125 6061 using 4043, 4943 and 5356. The 4043 was the only one that would not stay together during my amateur U bend test.

Name:  IMG_3304.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3305.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3306.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3307.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  106.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3309.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  87.3 KB
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

Hereís the bend test piece that didnít break

Name:  IMG_3310.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3311.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  88.4 KB
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20211013_142900.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  73.5 KBName:  20211013_142935.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  86.6 KBName:  20211013_142946.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  77.3 KBName:  20211013_110056.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  94.5 KBwelded the su frame on this one and came out real good no bubbles.ran those welds end to end with no stopping, need to work on the last few inches on the weld. Had to trigger one of the straight up butt joints in the channel because there was a big gap. Ran all the rest out and it went good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluCllrPlt View Post
    Stormy here all day so decided to get in a little TIG practice. The “soccer ball” is 12 gauge steel. Did some of the welds with 309 SS just for practice. The Texas logo star is 16 gauge steel welded with 1/16” 309. Also made up an aluminum 3D star made from .125” 6061 welded with 3/32 4043. Did a little butt joint practice on .125 6061 using 4043, 4943 and 5356. The 4043 was the only one that would not stay together during my amateur U bend test.
    How do you cut out the shapes for those projects? Do you buy templates or patterns? Or are you just good at geometry?
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13

Post Thanks / Like

The bosses pulled me in the office today after the morning meeting to tell me I've been doing good listening and the welding inspector wants to see me weld on the outside again. Red paint was thick on the hardock and not much wire wheeled off so it was popping a lot and filled the cup with berries and had to stop couple times but came out pretty good and the boss was happy and said she will like itName:  20211014_083042.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  96.1 KBName:  20211014_083051.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  87.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    The bosses pulled me in the office today after the morning meeting to tell me I've been doing good listening and the welding inspector wants to see me weld on the outside again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

13. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20211014_110113.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  92.9 KB1 set of the back welds, core wire weld on the right

15. Likes ezduzit, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wrapped up this hydraulic tank for my rotary broom/sweeper project. It is a parallelogram shape at 20 degrees off vertical to match up with the angle the mounting plate is at and not stick out too much. All TIG welded in the 120-140A range with 3/32 ER70-S6 filler for the main seams (sometimes 1/16 for smaller bits). I had a shop bend up the 11ga CRS for the main tank as I do not have a way to do that (especially not accurately).

Here is welding in the bungs and mounting nuts, the main baffle and the intake pickup tube

Name:  Tank welding internals (2) (Large).jpg
Views: 536
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  Tank welding internals (5) (Large).jpg
Views: 536
Size:  114.1 KB

All tacked up. Took much oddball clamping to pull everything back into alignment while tacking.

Name:  Tank tacked (Large).jpg
Views: 537
Size:  91.2 KB

And a look at starting to weld and a closeup of the first run of welds. I got about 2-3" at a clip before I had to reset

Name:  Tank welding (1) (Large).jpg
Views: 530
Size:  80.7 KB

Name:  Tank welding (2) (Large).jpg
Views: 526
Size:  61.1 KB
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

I did better on the short sides as I made up a support out of 3/4" pipe, a pair of pipe flanges and a pair of Tees. The tees are 3/4" on the "Tee" side but 1" on the 2 thru sides so it would slide over a 3/4" pipe. I drilled and tapped a 3/8" hole on the outside of each Tee so I could lock it in place wherever I want. Worked pretty slick

Name:  tank welding support (1) (Large).jpg
Views: 540
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  tank welding support (2) (Large).jpg
Views: 537
Size:  91.9 KB

And then the tank all complete and pressure testing. It didn't fully hold pressure, but the only leaks were at my temporary plugs as I checked all the welds with soapy water and they were all good. So it should be good to go!

Name:  Tank pressurized (Large).jpg
Views: 546
Size:  94.5 KB
    -Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Name:  20211013_110056.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  94.5 KBwelded the su frame on this one and came out real good no bubbles.ran those welds end to end with no stopping, need to work on the last few inches on the weld. Had to trigger one of the straight up butt joints in the channel because there was a big gap. Ran all the rest out and it went good.
    No way.... is that a feeder with a proper built trolley I see, for once? Not a shopping cart?

Nice work btw
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

19. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323, Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor bought this bucket with Case quick attach , but the previous owner had added a skid steer SSQA that was in the way.

What a mess removing concrete splatter.

I thought it would be an easy job with a cut off wheel but the only angle I could get at it with cut too much material and not the weld beads ( when I could find them)

Cutting torch made a nice mess of it when I discovered they laminated 1/8" flat bar to 3/8" to achieve their desired width

What a mess

:

21. Likes ezduzit, whtbaron, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With that tank, save yourself a lot of grief in the future by putting in a drain, for water and crud, and even consider a large inspection plate?
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, there is a drain port on the bottom. I just didn't really mention it. The photo with the tank all tacked up actually shows it on the bottom (tipped on its side in photo). And the baffle is set up to allow it to fully drain from both sides. As for inspection ports, I have the big 6" port for the inlet filter that can act as one on one side of the baffle, and another 2" hole where the fill port is on the opposite side of the baffle. 2" is enough to look in but not enough to do much with. This should be a closed system, and probably not used too heavily so I am hoping for few issues or need for changing fluid.

I was expecting someone to say my welds were too hot...
    Last edited by davec; 10-15-2021 at 06:04 PM.
    -Dave

24. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    I did better on the short sides as I made up a support out of 3/4" pipe, a pair of pipe flanges and a pair of Tees. The tees are 3/4" on the "Tee" side but 1" on the 2 thru sides so it would slide over a 3/4" pipe. I drilled and tapped a 3/8" hole on the outside of each Tee so I could lock it in place wherever I want. Worked pretty slick

And then the tank all complete and pressure testing. It didn't fully hold pressure, but the only leaks were at my temporary plugs as I checked all the welds with soapy water and they were all good. So it should be good to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    With that tank, save yourself a lot of grief in the future by putting in a drain, for water and crud, and even consider a large inspection plate?
    ++ on the inspection plate,, and look around, and find the biggest magnet you have,, put it in the tank, near the suction port.
    You will be amazed how much the magnet will capture inside the tank,,,

If you can not find a big magnet, several small ones will work, also,,

I think TSC still sells cow magnets,, which are also good for hydraulic tanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post

I think TSC still sells cow magnets,, which are also good for hydraulic tanks.
    I had to Google that. Thought maybe they attracted cows... like farmersammm

:

27. Likes whtbaron, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was planning to put a rare earth magnet in the drain port plug which is near the suction port. Maybe I should do it another way?
    -Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Attached to some sort of dipstick so you can take it out and clean it off without the need to drain the tank?
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    No milling machine or lathe... but I'm really good with the grinder. I was thinking about that too. If I could find a length of shaft material close to the right diameter, I could just drill it and be back in business. I might try it yet, but for a Friday night on the long weekend this was the quick fix. My only concern with a softer material is that instead of a clean break, it could bend before it snaps and be realllly difficult to get out of there. For most machines I have a pretty good stash of spare parts, but this one is a bit of an odd duck and I haven't found an exact match for a parts machine.
    You'd be surprised to find that a lot of pins aren't as hard as you think. The fact that this one is machined, leads me to think it's not very hard.

You can make a new one out of Fatigue Proof.....NOT Stress Proof, and you'll have a very high tensile pin that's easy to machine, and doesn't require post machining heat treatment to bring it up to hardness, or other desirable trait.

Fatigue Proof was developed by Niagra for this type of work. Other companies have simply copied the chemistry, and sell it as 1144 "Stressproof".......and it ain't the real deal. Even the color is different. Try to buy actual genuine Fatigue Proof, or Stress Proof. It should come with mill certs. I source mine from Alro, but I'm sure it's available from other suppliers.

This stuff is the real deal http://www.niagaralasalle.com/produc...gue-proof.html

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like cart is still in use.

Name:  esab cart.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  172.0 KB

Is that a special filter, or is it really that smokey in the shop ?

BTW Nice Welding.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    You'd be surprised to find that a lot of pins aren't as hard as you think. The fact that this one is machined, leads me to think it's not very hard.

You can make a new one out of Fatigue Proof.....NOT Stress Proof, and you'll have a very high tensile pin that's easy to machine, and doesn't require post machining heat treatment to bring it up to hardness, or other desirable trait.

Fatigue Proof was developed by Niagra for this type of work. Other companies have simply copied the chemistry, and sell it as 1144 "Stressproof".......and it ain't the real deal. Even the color is different. Try to buy actual genuine Fatigue Proof, or Stress Proof. It should come with mill certs. I source mine from Alro, but I'm sure it's available from other suppliers.

This stuff is the real deal http://www.niagaralasalle.com/produc...gue-proof.html
    So you're saying I'm not going to find that in an old shaft on an abandoned combine in the pasture?
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Cord reel. 12 gauge 100í.

34. Likes whtbaron, Munkul liked this post