Page 614 of 614 FirstFirst ... 114514564604612613614
Results 15,326 to 15,334 of 15334

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today

Incidentally, the hinge plates I cut from an offcut of braked pump base left over from a pump installation I did a while back. Normally I fab my own pump bases but in this case the pump supplier quoted these with the pumps at $50 each. My galvanizer has a minimum charge of $80 and plus labour and material it was a no brainer. But it was hell to tig the hinge pipe and studs. Porosity like crazy. Ground out and reweld same thing. Tried 309 and it went in well. Migged the post in with s-6 without issue. Plate must be some kind of chinesium I recon.

Post Thanks / Like

Woz,,,,, You ever been in a nuke?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean a sub? I haven't been in anything nuclear so no .

Post Thanks / Like

Power house. Imagine all that pretty stuff you do and have ever done shoved in to a common bedroom with 50 tons of hangers to the point you cant see the other side.

Post Thanks / Like

I presume you mean the heat exchanger. I've seen pics. Take some skills to work in there. Definitely would be a learning curve for me. I'd welcome the challenge though.

Post Thanks / Like

The whole fricken place, some of the equipment rooms and pipe chases are really crowded. One I was on was built way too small in some "money saving " scheme then 3 mile Island happened and they needed to add 2 x as much in a box already undersized. I wish I had a few pics of this. Wonder if someone has some,,, maybe Milo, we were on the same job at one point. Some of the chases were to be sealed etc so they7 may have sev eral redundent lines running thru,,, a problem, simply valve to a new line. or maybe 3 new,,, ha.. Some of that a guy never know exactly what it did or where they went. Whole place built a couplke times, I remember in a contaiment work on an inch and it came off the steam gen, some kind of instrument line and build a set of hangers, must have been 2 or 3 weeks fooling with it and had a really good helper, we passed it, every weld, all of it, came back by a week later and all gone.. Someone realize after we build it that it wasnt needed or wrong somehow but was gone. Even removed it on a different shift and one has to wonder how it happened so fast.
    I looked for some comarible pics and really cant find any that truely express the nature of some of it,,,, not something they want seen I spose, All the net pics are big and lots of room, the aux was more like a mouse maze. Lots of little rooms, way congested with pipe, room 15x20 and cant see across it, could be hundred pipes thru it and the hangers just cant be fully described.
    Last edited by Sberry; 5 Days Ago at 09:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    Need to install a snatch block post, hinged, so the post can lay down out of the way when not in use.
    Take the hinge off and make the plate 1/2 thick and bigger and you have the start to nuke instrument or condensate line hanger. Even one dumps in to floor drain, built like that with a cap plate and a strap hanger welded over ir. This would have been a project for 2 men for couple days, even more incl design changes, drawing approval, weld inspections. 4 pieces of steel, the pretty weld you post would need work to pass. Thousands of those in the place, walls floors welded to other tube steel hangers. Did one in containment i mention, dozens of hangers for a little bitty line in about 10 ft, had 2 or 3 turns and couple for each one. 1/4 x 2 strap bent in to U goes over inch line with 3/32 clearance and fully welded perfect both sides. As I mention, the pics you can find on the net really dont do this justice.
    They show people standing, looking and walking, lots of room vs a bowl of spagatti with 3 hangers on every noodle. Crawl, even talk to your bud you can hear and not see, tape mirrors up, mask a lot. No real way to splain it without some context photo.
    This piece would have a separate drawing with its location, give to a couple men, see if they can make it fit. There were some minor allowances from location but really minor and lots of rods to hit with anchor bolts. Had to take a little class on installing hiltim, had these old blocks they originally used for weight and ballast and sitting around with hundreds of bolts in them.
    Last edited by Sberry; 5 Days Ago at 10:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely on another level. Not sure I'd even fit in there being a big boy. There's enough spaghetti in what I do that I struggle with before I even think about power station congestion. Always had big respect for guys that work in there.
    Mind you I measure, prep and fit up all my own pipework before I weld it out so my skills are ok I recon.

Post Thanks / Like

You would do well there. Ya got to get used to the pace.