Thread: building loading ramps for a car hauler for low vehicle with a bad back

Post Thanks / Like

building loading ramps for a car hauler for low vehicle with a bad back

my project truck is a '53 F-100 that is built low (front valance is 8.5" from pavement.) My truck hauler has 4' ramps but too much approach angle. I cobbled some ramp extensions together with 2/12s and scrap lumber to make the about 7-8' long and decreased angle of approach to about 5 degrees.

Aluminum ramps are expensive and I wonder if I can build them cheaper ?? what I need is in the 350-500 buck range...(my fixed income can't take that) I think I want to build (buy used if avail) some car hauler ramps, aluminum if possible... You tube has some ideas but all in steel = heavy. I could build extensions but think I'd rather build longer ramps to make it easier... what are your ideas on material sizes and thicknesses using alum. I'm thinking 2x4"x 1/8" wall rectangular with rungs of lighter gauge plate/angle... ?? or heavier??. Thinking about 6-7 feet to get right ramp angle... just need ideas...something like this Name:  147489476_238265264564313_8427678246093776237_n.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  46.7 KB

what about round tubing and it's strength... little easier to find than scrap rectangular stuff.

truck weighs 5380 with me and full tank, but a realistic goal would probably be 6K with 'stuff & baggage'

thanks
    john

Post Thanks / Like

Re: building loading ramps for a car hauler for low vehicle with a bad back

I always hated messing with ramps on my old trailers. Absolute best investment I have ever made for a trailer was a tilt bed. I too haul all kids of low vehicles and the thing to watch for is a knife edge trailer but the knife edge is "upside down" as in no beaver tail or drop in the bed.

12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

3. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're in very different markets so it's hard to say, but I find a lot of those Chinese built items are constructed for what I can buy raw materials for. Map out what you need and start phoning local suppliers (forget the box stores). I suspect that much aluminum is going to be hard to come by for less than $400 before you even start buying welding rods etc.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree I think youíre gonna have a hard time building them for under 500 bucks.
    considering material/consumables and most of all your time.

It seems everything these days is made in China and the price reflects that.
    I think 500 bucks is a deal.

I have a set of 7í Trailex ramps made in USA.
    I got them secondhand years ago

I canít imagine how much they are now probably over $1000.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

whtbaron and JohnT... I agree it's gonna be a challenge. I've got a good friend that is a aluminum guru and He might have the material I can buy affordably. His specialty is building boat ramps and boat houses off the sides of cliffs... He has secretly found a way to defy gravity... I hope he can get me in the right direction... Here's some of his projects

Name:  jeff1.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  15.5 KB
    Name:  jeff.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  33.6 KB