+ Reply to Thread
Page 527 of 682 FirstFirst ... 27427477517525526527528529537577627 ... LastLast
Results 13,151 to 13,175 of 17039

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Nothing special or super precise but more along the line of get r done. Made a trailer hitch plate for one of the John Deere 140 garden tractors. Painted it flat black and it's curing in the sun before I mount it. I'll get a pic of it mounted with the patio 80 cart hooked up in the next day or so.

Attachment 1729614Attachment 1729615Attachment 1729616
    I need to do something like that only longer. The hitch on the pull behind mower hits the tires on a sharp corner so I need a drawbar that hangs out behind the tires.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

2. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I need to do something like that only longer. The hitch on the pull behind mower hits the tires on a sharp corner so I need a drawbar that hangs out behind the tires.
    Build a mount for a swinging drawbar. Then you can even offset the mower when mowing ditch banks or around trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

4. Likes N2 Welding, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is how it looks mounted. I built it thinking it would be oriented 180 degrees from how it is mounted. I looked at some pics online before I realized it would of been wrong to have the hitch so high up if I had mounted it opposite of how it looks in the pics. Oh yeah I almost forgot. I had an Ace hardware store coupon get $5.00 off when you spend $5.00 or more. I purchased the hardware to mount it with that coupon and was short by about $0.25. The nice lady helping me find the hardware was helping the other nice lady at the register and pointed out that the coupon would not work until the purchase amount was at least $5.00. She asked if I liked candy. They had $0.33 cent candies, I think it was some kind of butterscotch or caramel. Slightly soft. So I got one to get to exceed the $5.00 then gave the candy to the nice lady that helped with finding the hardware. It seemed like the right thing to do.

Name:  E8FE6E9D-6384-4DB5-85FD-419955355195.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  121.9 KBName:  39D02767-CDC8-4E96-A944-B909CBCCA15E.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  94.2 KB
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 07-23-2021 at 01:29 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

6. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Build a mount for a swinging drawbar. Then you can even offset the mower when mowing ditch banks or around trees.

Or a tall goose neck so the tractor can turn 360 under the hitch. The hitch on the pull behind is already offset to run beside my 48" belly mount.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Or a tall goose neck so the tractor can turn 360 under the hitch. The hitch on the pull behind is already offset to run beside my 48" belly mount.
    pictures please....

9. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Winch mount for a friend trailer nothing crazy 3/8 plate welded out with 6010 and 7018

11. Likes Brazin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

N2...scratching my head as to why you ran a bead down the free (angled) edge of the gussets???
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

13. Likes hddnis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    N2...scratching my head as to why you ran a bead down the free (angled) edge of the gussets???
    Because I could

Mostly because of the gap at the top and bottom of the gussets. They were shaped more like a 5 sided baseball diamond home plate with little notches at the top and bottom. I wanted to get some hot glue on the top edge of the gussets and drag it down to the bottom to finish it off. I know it’s not the best looking welds and I over did it but I don’t get much practice so I tend to go all out and weld up every nook and cranny when I can.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 07-24-2021 at 02:58 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

15. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

21”x18” 304ss Argentina style grill, keeps the grease off the coals.
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldalittle View Post
    pictures please....
    No pics of the ficticious goose neck that I will probably never build... might end up looking something like the Volkswagon pulling a roof mounted trailer in another thread. An extended hitch that I can change up when I trade in the tractor would be totally doable though. I usually trade every 3 or 4 yrs so this one is coming due. I'll stick with the 48" mower under the tractor for trimming around the grain bins, and the Swisher pull behind adds another ( I think)67". You can't make a 90 degree turn without hitting the tires as it is, but I really like the time savings I'm getting with the pull behind. My mowing time drops from 10 to 11 hrs down to 3 or 4.
    Name:  IMG_6591.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  156.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_6592.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  123.2 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

18. Likes N2 Welding, Lis2323, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Today's project is some trailer chocks for the wife's Spyder. Had to take some extra precautions due to the galvanized angle but it was perfect for what I wanted and had it laying around. Happy with the results as it is an off the cuff design. I will bolt them down after paint.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

20. Likes ezduzit, whtbaron, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Made a rear hitch for my Husky (MTD) garden tractor.

Hitch hangs from the factory shoulder bolts on the sides that are used to attach factory rear ground engaging attachments. Single bolt at the bottom at the old hitch pin location anchors hitch in place. Added additional hitch pin hole to still be able to pull the small garden trailer. Used some robust angle I had laying around and bought the hitch receiver.

Design was completely by eye and continuous process of cut and removal. Now onwards to blasting, prime, and paint.

Hitch is quite stout!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry4406 View Post
    Made a rear hitch for my Husky (MTD) garden tractor.

Hitch hangs from the factory shoulder bolts on the sides that are used to attach factory rear ground engaging attachments. Single bolt at the bottom at the old hitch pin location anchors hitch in place. Added additional hitch pin hole to still be able to pull the small garden trailer. Used some robust angle I had laying around and bought the hitch receiver.

Design was completely by eye and continuous process of cut and removal. Now onwards to blasting, prime, and paint.

Hitch is quite stout!
    That hitch looks way to stout for that Lawn Tractor, never the less it looks good "thumbs up". It won't surprise me none if you burn up a belt or two as well as the transmission on that thing if you over load it, especially on any type of grade like a driveway, grassy knowl etc.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 07-25-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've moved 50 ft grain augers with mine... the boat and motor.... even that pull behind will make me spin out on a slope. I think lack of traction is what saves the belts.
    Too much weight will likely bend or break back axles first.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Last Saturday's job was to replace some rusted ammonia pipes penetrating a high slab with stainless steel sched 40 pipe. 2-1/2", 3" and 4".
    Name:  R2.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  516.1 KB
    Name:  R3.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  882.9 KB

Had a scaffold erected and also welding in purge sockets.

Name:  R4.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  520.5 KB

Job done and dektites fitted.

Name:  R5.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  483.1 KBName:  R1.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  848.3 KB

Got it done just in time, not much meat left on the rusted pipes.

Happy days, drank much beer afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    That hitch looks way to stout for that Lawn Tractor, never the less it looks good "thumbs up". It won't surprise me none if you burn up a belt or two as well as the transmission on that thing if you over load it, especially on any type of grade like a driveway, grassy knowl etc.
    We have a smallish utility trailer that wife wants to pull around our parcel to collect limbs and brush so no huge loads anticipated. I plan to use the receiver to also mount a sprayer.

26. Likes jniolon, N2 Welding, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry4406 View Post
    We have a smallish utility trailer that wife wants to pull around our parcel to collect limbs and brush so no huge loads anticipated. I plan to use the receiver to also mount a sprayer.
    I hope shes better at backing a trailer than Mrs. B. Little lawn cart trailers are tough for experienced backers. She is not good at it, had a few mishaps.
    She wanted a wagon in stead. I tried to explain that'll be even harder to back. She persisted. First attempt, she broke the tongue. Lately she uses a loader on a utility tractor.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

28. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

larry you could consider a two point hitch with turnable trailer wheels like a leaf vacuum

Name:  hitch.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  7.7 KB

when backing, the trailer turns the way you turn the wheel... might need a revamp of your trailer but will eliminate the bent tongue problem

j

30. Likes Larry4406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    Last Saturday's job was to replace some rusted ammonia pipes
    Got it done just in time, not much meat left on the rusted pipes.
    Looks like Impressive welding.

Do they xray the welds or inspect?

Ammonia is serious stuff.
    Leaks can be deadly.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Looks like Impressive welding.

Do they xray the welds or inspect?

Ammonia is serious stuff.
    Leaks can be deadly.
    I welded it to my WPS as though it was to be x-rayed, like I always do. Our Australian Standard for Pressure Pipe Welding AS4041 says that for Class 1 duty (which ammonia duty falls into) 5% of welds in each size shall be x-rayed unless defects are found that would increase shots to 50%. In this case, my customer (who keeps a register of weld and x-ray history) determined that I had not increased the number of welds that would cause the total register to fall below the 5% mark so deemed x-rays were not needed to maintain compliance. There was a pressure/leak test performed by the customer and the system put back into service.

May be a grey area but doesn't bother me because the welding went well. Good prep. No ammonia leaking into the weld zone. The purge was good, no green spitting. No sign of sugaring in the root etc. I have confidence in my welds, been doing this a long time.

Here's what I cut out, not much meat left...
    Name:  R6.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  814.9 KB

33. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In 1992 I was on a fertilizer plant overhaul, we were working 80' up on the elevator tower for the dry stuff when they had a rupture in the ammonia plant. We were told to stay high and wait for the cloud (heavier than air) dissipate. Thank fully no one was hurt. That is bad stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to drop trailers at the Safeway docks in Denver when I was a kid. I believe that the cold plant was ammonia refrigerated, and I couldn't swear to it, but I'm thinking some of their older reefer trailers were ammonia cooled..............never asked, but I noticed tanks on them, and no diesel powered reefers in the nose. For all I know, they might have been diesel units just mounted under the trailers. Safeway wasn't a good place to go, back in the day, if you weren't a union driver. They treated you like dirt. That all changed when they fired all the drivers, and went to contractors to pull the loads.

I ran the mountains a lot when I was a kid. If they knew you had the experience, it was easy to get a job, and the money was better. I remember Safeway, and Rio Grande, were the top mountain haulers back in the day. You had to be almost born into the family to get on with those outfits............now they're all gone.

When I was a little boy, I used to love the sound of those Jakes coming off the high passes............all the way to the bottom. When I got older, and was the moron behind the wheel............I didn't like that sound so much anymore Ride the Jake all the way down, with your eye on the brake pressure application gauge.........10psi, and not an ounce more, or you'd light the brakes on fire.

I got out of the mountains just about the time the IH Eagle's came out, with the Cummins 400..........that thing would run all the way to the bottom without hardly touching the brakes. Things changed that fast. I never fully trusted them though. I'd been schooled on the same gear down, as the same gear ya ran up. And the little motors I ran would run up the hill at about 12mph...........and that's how fast you came down. The big engines would fly up the hill, and hold you back going down........but I never thought it was fully safe.............sht can go wrong. Drop a driveline, and it all comes down to whether the brakes will hold you..........that never changed.

36. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Floyd Hill claimed a lot of lives.

Post Thanks / Like

No pics of the ficticious goose neck that I will probably never build... might end up looking something like the Volkswagon pulling a roof mounted trailer in another thread. An extended hitch that I can change up when I trade in the tractor would be totally doable though. I usually trade every 3 or 4 yrs so this one is coming due. I'll stick with the 48" mower under the tractor for trimming around the grain bins, and the Swisher pull behind adds another ( I think)67". You can't make a 90 degree turn without hitting the tires as it is, but I really like the time savings I'm getting with the pull behind. My mowing time drops from 10 to 11 hrs down to 3 or 4.
    Name:  IMG_6591.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  156.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_6592.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  123.2 KB
    You need a yaw meter for that setup

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    In 1992 I was on a fertilizer plant overhaul, we were working 80' up on the elevator tower for the dry stuff when they had a rupture in the ammonia plant. We were told to stay high and wait for the cloud (heavier than air) dissipate. Thank fully no one was hurt. That is bad stuff.
    We had an ice plant in the mine here that ammonia charged rfrigeration, you could ALWAYS smell a little ammonia around that place, my uncle was the senior AC guy & he hated that ice plant.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

40. Likes 12V71 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist