Page 552 of 563 FirstFirst ... 52452502542550551552553554562 ... LastLast
Results 13,776 to 13,800 of 14069

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today

How do find out type steel you about weld?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Ah, no. You couldn't be any more wrong on that one. Most likely T-1, 80 or 9018 with preheat and interpass temperature followed or you'll be picking up pieces and doing it again, provided you weren't ran off for good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I agree
    Working with E7018 right way is a pain.

I like going to box of rod and just welding.
    Most manufacturers of rapper's use A36 and just about any rod will work.

Dave
    How do find out type steel you about weld?

Dave
    I drill it with a hand drill . I used the same brand drill bits and it's one of those things that you can tell over time. Amount of pressure and size and shape of the chips.

Post Thanks / Like

That works great.
    I have done too , until got hardness tester.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I drill it with a hand drill . I used the same brand drill bits and it's one of those things that you can tell over time. Amount of pressure and size and shape of the chips.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today!

Long story short: Fixed pinhole leak inside collector where pipes merge.

So I had just finished a week and a half marathon of getting my truck fixed back up before it's too cold to work comfortably. Changed coil on plugs, new spark plugs, fixed intake leaks, replaced rusted out bed with new one, cosmolined frame and underside, polished and waxed (graphene, want to see what all the talk is about). I ran out of time to swap out the rear differential, but had a one free day left... well, however much daylight there is now.
    I've had an annoying exhaust leak for awhile now, and figured I'd take care of it. I hooked the shop vac up to the tailpipe and ran the hose from the exhaust side. Feeling around, all my connections were super tight, no leaks. But when I put my hand up by the collector, the hissing changed. Hoping it would just be a quick tack weld, I pulled it out.
    The outer area looked as good as could be expected. So, I had to take the cat off. Once off, I stuck a flashlight inside and sure enough, there was light visible where the pipes merged. This must have been a bad weld, cause when they were new I pressure tested them and they were fine. Anyhow, I took a burr, cleaned the suspect spot up, and hit it with the mig. I don't know what wire it was, as the label was gone. I think it was a 309, but not sure. I was worn out by this time (been going for a week and half non stop) and made a slight mistake.... forgot to turn gas on. Huh, no wonder my welds matched the rest of the inside.... F' it... I don't see any light coming through and I'm running out of daylight. Well, when I went bolt everything back together I had to use bolts in all three locations on the cat to header flange as the stud had to be ground off to disconnect them. Instead of being smart, I fiugred I'd take the o2 sensor out so I could locate the threads like factory. Ooops.. I just stripped the o2 sensor..... no spares... So, I'll live with it for now. Put it all back together and guess what. Flange was so rusted and thin on the ancient cat the it just bent instead of clamping... So order a new cat and o2 sensor. WOW have prices gone up. Now stainless version is not much more than cheap walker I was replacing so sprung the extra $20 for ss version.
    Finally got it all back togther today and WOW... peace and quiet!!! I can't tell you how long I've chased this noise, sound dampener (it must be noisy injectors), it must be the thin header tubing, it must be this, it must be the gasket... Nope. Five minutes with the shop vac and about 4 years of ticking GONE!

Header with new cat
    Name:  shorty.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  127.0 KB

Old cat with rusted out bent flange
    Name:  trashcat.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  123.8 KB

BTW- remflex gaskets always!!

5. Likes whtbaron, ezduzit, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a lot of welding but lots of torch work. On land clearing jobs I normally run the excavator and have a hired hand run the dozer. We grease the machines daily, fuel at night and give each machine a quick once over. I didn't have much heavy work to do with the excavator and told my guy to take off Saturday and I'd run the dozer and grade up some areas that needed finish work. As soon as I started pushing I noticed the blade wobbling all over and couldn't hold a grade. Thought WTF and saw the main blade bushing completely destroyed. Just can't understand how someone running the machine 10 hours a day didn't notice how sloppy the blade was...

Ordered a new bushing and pin just in case the pin was worn as well. CAT dealer said pin should just tap out with a hand sledge. Tried a hand sledge, BFH sledge, heating with a rosebud and trying to push it out with a bottle jack. Ended up using the torch to slice between the frame and cylinder eye, then welding a rod on top and twisting it out with a 24" pipe wrench. Bottom half was then heated and driven out. Almost thought I'd have to go home and get the thermal lance.

Name:  Destroyed dozer bushing.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  Rosebud Torch heating rod.jpg
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  20T bottle jack under bushing.jpg
Size:  138.5 KB

Name:  Rosebud Torch heating rod.jpg
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  Bushings and rod removed.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  120.4 KB
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you like when someone says "just" like that? It should JUST push out. Riiiiiiiight

That looks like it killed a lot of time.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

8. Likes Lis2323, Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At least it was out where you could get at it... but I don't envy the job....
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I have Dresser TD7G. I went through it & all the joints are tight, no slop at all.

My friend has International TD7E, near twin, except the engine. He can produce a flawless grade with his loose as can be, he can't do much with mine, says it needs some sloppiness.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    Don't you like when someone says "just" like that? It should JUST push out. Riiiiiiiight

That looks like it killed a lot of time.
    The new one slid right in. Same deal when I had to split the tracks on the excavator to fix the tensioning cylinder. Probably beat on the master link for over an hour to get it out. Really enjoy running equipment; fixing it not so much, but if I had to pay to get it fixed I think every time I went out I'd lose money.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    At least it was out where you could get at it... but I don't envy the job....
    After draining my O2 tank from the heat and beat session I decided a more aggressive approach was needed.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I have Dresser TD7G. I went through it & all the joints are tight, no slop at all.

My friend has International TD7E, near twin, except the engine. He can produce a flawless grade with his loose as can be, he can't do much with mine, says it needs some sloppiness.
    A tight dozer is a joy to operate. Ran an old clapped out Fiat Allis dozer in the late 80's. Every time the blade would hit a soft spot it would dig in and create a divot. It didn't matter much though was we were building drilling rig locations and our job was clearing all the topsoil off and building the road and tank battery.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

Show us what you welded today

Quote Originally Posted by BluCllrPlt View Post
    A tight dozer is a joy to operate. .

Agreed! For that matter ANYthing hydraulically controlled with hands, fingertips or feet. Very satisfying.

* Edit except (for me) old Ford and Case multi levered backhoe controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 12-04-2021 at 12:00 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Lis2323;8837960]Agreed! For that matter ANYthing hydraulically controlled with hands, fingertips or feet. Very satisfying.

* Edit except (for me) old Ford and Case multi levered backhoe controls. . [\QUOTE]

IMO the old ford 4 stick was hard to learn, although wish there was a standard 2 stick pattern. Takes me a minute or two to get off the backhoe (John Deere) and run the excavator (CAT). Both machines too old to have pattern changers and I’m to lazy to change them.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

17. Likes 12V71, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea... I found switching between a skid steer with foot controls, and one with a joystick was a challenge. Even switching between my 5 tractors can mess you up because the older ones use the left hand for hydraulics, the "newer" ones use the right. Throttle levers on the steering column instead of a console, yada, yada.... then you hop in a SUV with an automatic and think you're forgetting something...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

19. Likes 12V71, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Yea... I found switching between a skid steer with foot controls, and one with a joystick was a challenge. Even switching between my 5 tractors can mess you up because the older ones use the left hand for hydraulics, the "newer" ones use the right. Throttle levers on the steering column instead of a console, yada, yada.... then you hop in a SUV with an automatic and think you're forgetting something...
    When I turned 16 and got my drivers licence my right foot was always looking for the steering brakes so that I could turn tighter. Lol

:

21. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can get on something I never ran and skin a grape with it but 20 minutes into production and I am pitiful and cant wait to get off it. I hate to production dig a ditch or drive most anything for that matter. I had a couple thousand operator hours before I was a teenager.

23. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasnt always so sharp, went thru stages but when I am on the A game have got some comments on digging out a big stump or tree with a small dozer,,, ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    When I turned 16 and got my drivers licence my right foot was always looking for the steering brakes so that I could turn tighter. Lol

Yeah, I'm spent at end of day, Mrs. B greets me as I pass through the door: "We need wood."

Motoring across the road, my personal stalker comes up behind me. He knows I'll be turning left. Instinctively, I flip the turn lever, kicking the tractor into neutral.

Usually I toggle effortlessly between conflicting controls of different machines. Throw in a stress issue, I need a half second.

I never did get comfortable with Case 3 lever/unpredictable foot swing. Every other hydraulic valve I've encountered, return to neutral stops motion. Case foot swing is utterly unpredictable, my other foot cancels. I don't like that!

I once bought a very nice Case 580K. I kept it 14 years. I converted it to SAE joystick control. I also added extend a hoe.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm spent at end of day, Mrs. B greets me as I pass through the door: "We need wood."

Motoring across the road, my personal stalker comes up behind me. He knows I'll be turning left. Instinctively, I flip the turn lever, kicking the tractor into neutral.

Usually I toggle effortlessly between conflicting controls of different machines. Throw in a stress issue, I need a half second.

I never did get comfortable with Case 3 lever/unpredictable foot swing. Every other hydraulic valve I've encountered, return to neutral stops motion. Case foot swing is utterly unpredictable, my other foot cancels. I don't like that!

I once bought a very nice Case 580K. I kept it 14 years. I converted it to SAE joystick control. I also added extend a hoe.
    I hated foot swing, like you said "unpredictable", I had both a 780 and a 480, the 480 was a cheap buy. I loaned the 480 to a neighbor and he swatted a hole through his garage wall and told me there was "something wrong with my machine" I let him play with the 780 and showed him he had to cancel swing with his other foot, He still thinks I owe him a garage wall. I've run several excavators (New Holland) that you had to counter the swing before the swing brake would apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I hated foot swing, like you said "unpredictable", I had both a 780 and a 480, the 480 was a cheap buy. I loaned the 480 to a neighbor and he swatted a hole through his garage wall and told me there was "something wrong with my machine" I let him play with the 780 and showed him he had to cancel swing with his other foot, He still thinks I owe him a garage wall. I've run several excavators (New Holland) that you had to counter the swing before the swing brake would apply.
    Add that to the unpredictable speed of swing in older Case backhoes, I would NOT want to work alongside anything valuable. Scoop, curl, hoist & swing all at once. When other functions end it takes off like a rocket. You can get used to it, but it takes practice.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the hardest transitions for me was renting a car where they drove on the “wrong” side of the road. It was especially hard at traffic circles going left instead of right. Glad all the pubs were within walking distance or it would have been pretty ugly.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

29. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20211205_083618.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  103.3 KB
    Name:  20211205_083609.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  209.8 KB
    A little firewood rack i made for my neighbor yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

31. Likes ezduzit, Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No top cap on that firewood rack. I’d be worried the sides might bow out a bit.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Surprisingly not. He saw the racks i built myself and wanted one. I have a full rack thats been loaded for about 6 months. It might still bow, just might take some more time. The only reason i did it without a top bar is because it gets in the way when loading it up. These are really some of my first projects, but i learned a lot about how easy the actual welding part is compared to getting everything squared up.

34. Likes N2 Welding, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I wonder if it's something to do with the heat affected zones from the reinforcement. I would have expected it to bend too, but if its hard metal then it will need a bit of pre-heat before welding and low hydrogen welding process.

What was it, a ripper shank to start with? Probably something pretty hard and tough...
    I'm not entirely sure what the original source of this steel was, I think maybe some sort of loader arms from an old John Deere.

I have seen points 72" snap in haft
    They under so must stress they just give up.
    Weld back to geather will just fail but sooner and the blame the welder. The steel is shot till replaced.
    It is lots of welding but can give a welder a bad name.

The steel is some type of AR plate.
    I would replaced the steel.

Dave
    I did notice that the sparks from grinding were a little different than mild steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I guess we saw the welding but didnt pay much attn to the design. I posted a job on a forum a while back and someone knew more about it said, dont think it will work,,,, he was right and I really had to go back and look. The learning curve was high. It involved some real fundamental principles I didnt grasp.
    Yours is a bit more forward buy it needs a shank 6 inches vs 3 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    The bad news is it broke, the good is you can fix it.
    The good news it broken
    That is best work to do.
    You fix right. your bank account is happy, the customer is happy  his tool is fixed.

Win win let the good times roll.
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I have no idea how these are made,, so I looked for a pic of a factory designed ripper.

Attachment 1733958

There's very little taper in the shank, until it reaches the tooth.

I generally look at other designs to come up with something that might work. This one seems reasonable I guess.
    My original plan included another piece on the back of the shank toward the bottom, and plates on either side. Also some sort of sharpened cutter bit on the front edge.

The good thing is, this is a project for my own use, not for a customer. I will enjoy fixing and upgrading it, and hopefully improve my welding skills as well.

Buried here, if I can find it is a Bron cable plow. It was mounted on a D7. I set it up once for three point hitch to root rocks from my driveway. It worked well, but rooted up a thousand rocks, I then had to deal with. I know within ten feet where it is. If you want it, I'll try to find it.
    Thanks for the offer. I'll try to see if I can make this strong enough to hold up to my abuse
    Glen

Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D