+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miller DEL-200 Welder Excitation

Post Thanks / Like

Miller DEL-200 Welder Excitation

My DEL-200, small Miller Diesel Driven welder will not excite and generate either a arc or power to the plug. I've checked all wiring, fields and windings, all are good, replaced all rectifiers, and put new diodes in. After checking all, still no spark or outlet power. The welder did setup, in a storage room for a few years, not used, however, welded prior to. Machine is in good condition and runs well, seems to have lost its' ability to excite.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller DEL-200 Welder Excitation

Sounds to me like you need to flash the exciter field. What follows is the procedure to flash the exciter field for DC generators that are engine driven. If you feel this is inappropriate to your machine don't use it. Instead PM Duane55 and ask him the procedure for Miller welders. What I'm giving you is the procedure for SA 200 Lincoln welders for sure, and reading the text I'd say it works for any DC generator.

Flashing the exciter field consists of passing current through the fields using an external source of 6 to 125 volts of DC power from a storage battery or DC generator. If using a DC generator, keep the generator turned off except when actually applying the flashing current. To flash the fields:
    1. Turn the welder off. Raise one exciter brush off the commutator.
    2. On Lincoln welders, attach the positive lead from the external DC source to the right hand brushholder.
    3. Carefully holding an insulated section of the negative lead from the DC source, touch its lug or clamp to the left hand brushholder for five seconds. Pull it away quickly to minimize arcing. Remove the lead from the right hand brushholder, replace the brush on the commutator, start the welder and the generator voltage should build up.
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, we will try. I remember, too many years ago, exciting the Lincolns that way. I used to overhaul them for my father, too many years ago to remember. He kept a fleet of Lincoln SA200s going with his welding business. Many torn down, many Continental blocks off to the Machine Shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know if it worked for you. There is always the possibility of it being something else, but the residual magnetism required to produce dc power in a generator is lost when sitting over time like your machine did. Rat nests are notorious too. Good luck!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

Post Thanks / Like

jc,
    PM sent.
    Duane
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone interested, a rotor field flash got jc464120's unit welding (good call gg) and a correction to the engine throttle switch circuit took care of a no AC power output condition in POWER mode.

The whole process was carried out thru PMs so for the benefit of anyone who cares to know what was wrong I'm posting this update.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 08-22-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

How do you like your del200?

i have one and it welds fine. had to upgrade to a TB302 for the AC output, but i still have the old one somewhere.
    id say it has a decent arc, but it doesnt half upset the neighbors
    G

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I have the opportunity to get a Miller DEL 200 Diesel. Can it be used with a HF TIG head? Thanks. Chris.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi duaneb55 I just picked up a miller del 200 with serial number JB490078 I got it to run but am not receiving any power out of the outlets or electrode plugs. The welder sat outside for about 10 years. I cleaned up the brushes but am not sure what to do next?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    For anyone interested, a rotor field flash got jc464120's unit welding (good call gg) and a correction to the engine throttle switch circuit took care of a no AC power output condition in POWER mode.

The whole process was carried out thru PMs so for the benefit of anyone who cares to know what was wrong I'm posting this update.
    Hi duaneb55 I just picked up a miller del 200 with serial number JB490078 I got it to run but am not receiving any power out of the outlets or electrode plugs. The welder sat outside for about 10 years. I cleaned up the brushes but am not sure what to do next?

Post Thanks / Like

Duaneb55 can you pm me the steps to flash the exciter field on a del 200.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondewelding View Post
    Duaneb55 can you pm me the steps to flash the exciter field on a del 200.
    PM sent but simply apply 12VDC + to the center slip ring brush lead (wire #21) for a second or two with the unit running. I the unit won't self excite you'll need to check flashing diode D4 for being failed open.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone help me figure out which diode I need to order. I have a diode in the rectifier directly above “17” if you look in the manual. I assume it’s the same as 17 but want to make sure before I order

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the one above "17" is the same (straight polarity).
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist