Thread: Solar 2175 won't stop feeding

Post Thanks / Like

Solar 2175 won't stop feeding

Noob here, so please excuse the lack proper etiquette.

I did my homework, (some of it on this board), I know Solar is no longer manufactured bought by century, yada yada...

When I booted my previous tenant from one of my warehouses, I inherited a 2175. I thought wth...dusted it off, put a new pig tail on it, and waddya know the sucker turned on... but with a weird noise.

Open the wire hatch to find that the feed motor was constantly going. From the moment you turn the darn thing on til you turn it off. This happens whether the gun is plugged in or not.

Suspecting the gun (at this point you should get that I'm and engineer, not a welder), I unplugged the gun and connected with a paperclip the two leads where the gun trigger is plugged into, thinking that if the trigger was bad (it looks like it has had better days.) That had no effect, motor was still purring away.

I lost a lot of money to this deadbeat tenant, so it would be nice to recover something, any thoughts on where to go from there? Again, I'm an engineer, so PC boards do not scare me, capacitors, diodes etc...no problem.

I don't want to invest a ton of money or time but this damn thing could weld two school buses together, I ran a nice 2 ft long bead pretty as can be. Just a pain in the arse to turn it on and off each time.

It would be a shame, seems like everything on this welder works perfectly, including all the timing and speed controls.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by jvigier; 12-03-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Solar 2175 won't stop feeding

Your crackhead tenant left it for a reason. Sounds like your contactor is stuck/shorted on the board. If it has a board.
    Arcon Workhorse 300MS
    Powcon 400SMT
    Powcon SM400 x 2
    Powcon SM300
    1968 SA200 Redface
    1978 SA250 Diesel
    Miller Super 32P Feeder
    Pre 1927 American 14" High Duty Lathe
    K&T Milwaukee 2H Horizontal Mill

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blawless View Post
    Your crackhead tenant left it for a reason. Sounds like your contactor is stuck/shorted on the board. If it has a board.
    One correction. The wire speed seems to be constant. I thought it adjusted but it does not. Could the electronic component that drives the wire speed cause the wire to continuously feed?

Post Thanks / Like

If it runs constantly and the speed cannot be varied,it may have a shorted wire feed driver transistor.