Thread: Half inch electric drills

Post Thanks / Like

Half inch electric drills

I was looking to buy another 1-2inch electric drill with the pistol type handle. I have 2 of the Milwaukee pistol hole shooters when they were U. S. made and have used and abused them a lot. I would be willing to bet most drills now are half the cost and probably one tenth the lifespan. I would like to hear what you guys have experienced with some of the newer electric drills .
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Half inch electric drills

None of mine are all that "new". The newest one being about 3 years old at this point. That one is a Rigid I acquired when a good friend of mine passed away. I use it to mix mud and cement mostly and it's held up to the abuse well.

I have two older Dewalts, one with a D handle and one with the right angle adapter. Both use the same basic drill body, just with attachments. Both are beasts.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Holeshooter here too. I will probably find another used one when I kill this one.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a believer in harbor freight tools. That said I was working up in Joplin MO and needed to drill 12- 5/8'' holes in some cedar 6x6's. MY big drill was at home and so I went down the street to HF and bought a 1/2'' drill and figured if it got the 12 holes drilled and died I was OK with that. That was a few years ago and it's still going. I have driven 14'' log home screws, mixed grout and drilled a lot of holes in wood and metal. It's now the electric starter on my Weldanpower 150.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a dewalt awhile back. Nice and powerfull, real wrist breaker, can snap the 1/2" shaft on a uni-bit without a hickup, easily removable side handle, does everything I need it to do.

Seems like ( just a feel thing) the variable speed on this motor isn't variable unless you have a load on it. I used to be able to ooze into it for starting holes and drilling on round surfaces. This one seems to snap right up to a few hundred rpm unless the bit is biting in then the variable works better. Another personal preference thing is the trigger-------the trigger is bigger than I'd like. My old black and decker you could only get one finger on it, this one you can't get less than two. It occupies a large part of the handle. If it hangs up you can't hardly let go without letting go of the entire handle. Maybe they don't make a single finger trigger anymore tho. I dunno.

Good drill motor tho. I'm murder on drills and this one takes it.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in construction and have found out that drilling say a 5" hole in plywood ..my d handle dewalt drill will try and break my wrist,but my Milwaukee right angle drill does not.Soft start/stop maybe? not sure but for mixing cement I'll use the Dewalt...Big holes the right angle drill.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the newer Milwaukees (probably about 7 years old). It is the 8 amp $100 one. I've gotten a fair amount of use out of it with no issues so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I had my old Black & Decker for well over 20 years But unfortunately cant find brushes for it now
    Got A Makita about 3 years ago Basic 1 low speed 550 rpm plenty of torque 8amp
    I think it"s 0K for a light drill

Post Thanks / Like

We use they old Craftsman Industrial(aluminum housing). I think they are special order now. Newest one we have is 20ish years old. We drill in lead with them daily. We tried to replace one with a Milwaukee a few years ago and it was pure garbage. Had the ancient craftsman repaired. They are the only drills under about 25lbs that can withstand drilling in lead.

Post Thanks / Like

You can still get the Milwaukee Holeshooter you mentioned, it is not twice the price, It still costs right around $120 like it always has but... it is made in China now. The speed control with the trigger is not as good as it used to be but I abuse the one I have at work and it holds up. I can't tell you how many times I have had that thing smoking and too hot to touch after using it for applications way beyond its intended use.

Post Thanks / Like

in the shop, they were drilling big 4" or so hole-saws through stainless and galvy sheet to cut in electrical boxes. figure 1 Milwaukee shooter per 4 holes. hole hog is too big and bulky and none of the shop personnel could figure out how to use them without getting thrown off of their ladder.

they finally bought an air powered snap-on 1/2". that is the way to go for big holes. true variable speed without worry of overheating. I say that as I have burnt more hole shooters trying to run slow, which means less airflow for the motor, because they are still cheaper than the countless bits it would take to bore holes of any size through stainless at full rpm.

if air is an option, it has proven a worthy investment at least in the case of my company's shop

Post Thanks / Like

THanks for the replies. I have a Snap On 1-2 inch air drill which does work well. I have been checking out the Dewalt and Milwaukee ones and the Dewalt and some of the Milwaukees have the 360 degree handle like on the 20 volt Dewalt cordless stuff which works well when I use the handle. The Dewalt drills seem to be priced a little better(the Dewalt was on sale for $79), now is probably a good time to buy with all the Christmas sales going on.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

I just re-read the title post and I was thinking a big gear driven drill. I have a Metabo pistol grip hammer drill that is way tough. I've had it since 1998. I've had it so hot you couldn't hold on to it. I've had me and a helper both pushing on it hammering concrete and drilling holes in 1/2'' plate. I bought it used in nice condition and it still has the original switch and brushes. It's given the best service of any drill I've ever owned.

Post Thanks / Like

Here a couple of the Craftsman's and a B&D that I use that I posted about earlier. The Craftsman"s are 16 amp and the B&D is 10 amp.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

They look like the 1/2" drill I inherited from my father. A Thor, that puppy will break ur wrist in a second if you dont have a good grip.
    Alum case which is not good if the person wiring it up is color blind which my dad (rip) was :-). Put the black to case, green and white to the switch. Made for an interesting few minutes ....Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Lol! Aluminum is the way to go though, plastic will not hold up with what we do. I don't us the B&D much because it will break the bit, the work or you if it catches. The Craftmans are perfect for what we do and are used daily. The new one is the Craftsman with the plate still attached. I bought that in the early 90's, IIRC it was $200 ish then. The other Craftsman and another one not pictured are from the late 70's.

I don't know if you can still buy these, as of about 7 or 8 years ago when my nephew worked for Sears they were a catalog only item.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of those B and D and another one not sure of brand I bought in 1975. Those jokers are nearly designed for two people to hold. Great drills. Richey

Post Thanks / Like

I see atleast one of you guys were having problems finding brushes. Try these guys www.eurtonelectric.com I had an old AEG drill that fried an armature and I was nowhere near giving up on that drill considering what they sell today.. They rewould the armature VERY reasonable I thought and have lots of brushes in stock it seems.