+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 211 CART And

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 211 CART And

Quote Originally Posted by Thats Hot View Post
    It needs a Cup Holder...
    I use the cup holder on mine all the time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I do have a patent on cart. You will be hearing from my attorney. However we could settle for cash out of court.

Looks good and it will work fine. Keeping all things square can be difficult. Too much weld and heat will move steel. I prefer using SQUARES , get a couple 2' framing ones, two of the 12'' , and the Swanson speed squares in the 6'' and 12''. You just need to check and recheck before tacking. Your just starting and you should be proud.
    I agree. You are doing great!
    Gravel

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Just_George> I am!!! You would be too if you had someone yelling out corrections to you too!!! I strongly suspect I'm going to end up taking quite a few steps backwards once I start welding on my own at home.
    --
    BD1> A patent on the cart, eh? How about we settle out of court for some Stella Artois>>>>? I've read other posts of yours.... I know your weakness.
    --
    I did have some L shaped squares I'd been using from woodworking... some old and some picked up recently and one small speed square. Some of the tools I use for woodworking can be used for welding but unfortunately for me.... most can't. I'm finding everything I do needs to be re-checked before each tack.... I'm a little heavy handed tacking and sometimes I'm a little light handed tacking and then..... I bump what I'm working on every once in a while so most of what I've been doing gets thrown out of whack. Overall.... I'm extremely pleased with where I'm at.
    --
    Robert_Hall> I don't know that I'd use a cup holder since I'm not a coffee drinker. I'll only have one welding machine so I can always use the top shelf to set things or maybe to hang grinders off of. The bottom shelf I'm reserving for something else.... you'll see. I am going to be adding handles to the back of the cart... similar to the handle in front only vertical instead of horizontal. When I rolled it, I had a hard time grabbing onto it and suspect it will be even more difficult once there is a cylinder chained to it so I decided to add rear handles. I do have an idea up my sleeve to "personalize" this cart but it won't be added until very last. Oh oh oh.... I bought a shiny piece of diamond plate for the top shelf. I just had to do it. It was such a pretty piece of steel.
    --
    Gravel & 7A749> Thank you so much. I'm just a copy cat though. There's really no way I would have been able to come up with a design like this on my own. I blew it not taking more photos for others like me just starting out. Most of the veterans here can see something and figure it out on their own.... not so with the neophytes like myself. Setting... supporting.... squaring and welding the angle iron to support the 211 was tricky and it's definitely not something I could have figured out on my own at this stage of the game.
    --
    More next week before I start cleaning it up and figuring out where I'm going to prime and paint it.
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Ok.... here's where I'm at as of last week.... I got a little over zealous welding and welded the verticals to the frame instead of welding the bottom plate to the frame THEN welding the verticals to the frame. Oopsie. Couldn't fit the bottom plate in without cutting it in two and notching it. Had to add an extra piece of C channel to support it too. I'm actually glad I screwed up because I got a chance to learn how.... and why.... to do a flood weld.
    --

Name:  img_4588.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  img_4592.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  img_4597.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  img_4598.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  img_4600.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  95.0 KB

--
    I ran the guy teaching me out of spool otherwise I would have finished and moved onto cleaning it up. Soooo close.... so close!!!
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot the photo of where the two bottom pieces of plate came together and had to be flood welded. I'd read about a flood weld before but.... getting to actually do one was exciting.... for me at least it was.
    --

Name:  img_4595.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  96.9 KB

--
    And here's how I had to leave it last week.... one little piece and a few welds on the side was all that was left.

Name:  img_4596.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  101.1 KB
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Equilibrium;4456641]Forgot the photo of where the two bottom pieces of plate came together and had to be flood welded. I'd read about a flood weld before but.... getting to actually do one was exciting.... for me at least it was.
    --

--
    I'm not familiar with the term flood weld and on WW, your post is about the only hit on search. Can you elaborate please?
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=storeman;4456871]
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Forgot the photo of where the two bottom pieces of plate came together and had to be flood welded. I'd read about a flood weld before but.... getting to actually do one was exciting.... for me at least it was.
    --

--
    I'm not familiar with the term flood weld and on WW, your post is about the only hit on search. Can you elaborate please?
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    I would say a '' PLUG '' type weld. https://www.google.com/search?q=plug...Q&ved=0CBwQsAQ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. That clears it up.
    Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Post Thanks / Like

My new "baby" is all primed. I was going to run with a medium gray for a finish coat but.... I changed my mind. I'm going to give it a final coat of black to offset the shiny diamond plate. It needs to sit for a few days before I put the final coat on it and add a few custom touches though.
    --

Name:  img_4641_00.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  img_4642_00.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  82.4 KB

--
    storeman> My bad.... I'm so sorry about that. I screwed up the terminology. They were "plug" welds. Again.... really sorry for messing you up and sending you on a wild goose chase.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I see that guy weld on a plywood table I want to see the out takes with the resulting fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nice. That diamond plate really accents it. You don't plan on setting anything on it do you ?
    With those two rear handles it looks like you could use it as a downhill racer. , Stand on the cylinder platform , grab handles, and hang on . Just don't hit anything because whatever you run into will be damaged. Nothing is gonna hurt that baby ! That is a lot of iron there for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert_Hall> Eeesh.... you're right. He'll be a contender for a Darwin award soon as he goes up in smoke, http://www.jdgroover.wordpress.com/2...wards-are-out/. #4 was particularly amusing.
    --
    BD1> Thank you for the compliment and thank you again for being such a good sport about me stealing your design!!!!
    --
    The diamond plate came from Pal's in Palmyra WI. It was real cheap since it was surplus. Will I set anything on it... for sure.... I don't expect it to look store room new for very long. I'll probably put loose tools and such on it. It's a nice convenient height. The two rear handles are great for maneuvering it into a tight space since you're right.... it's "weighty" and it will get even heavier the minute the cylinder is added to the back. I never thought about using it as a downhill racer but... our kids would.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, the cart is rockin!

Post Thanks / Like

I never did remember to take a photo of my BD1 clone 211 cart. Oops. It looked so nice freshly painted BEFORE I started using it regularly.
    --
    The cart was updated since last year.... it was personalized. I'm pretty sure I've got the only 211 cart on all of WW that has a vase with flowers however I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong -
    --

Name:  My welding cart.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  89.4 KB

--
    Eat your hearts out gentlemen.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

Beauty!
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, EQ....I secretly suspect BD1 now has flower vase on his cart, too....Artificial flowers fersure because after all he is a guy.

Don't bother me while I examine where on my cart I can attach mine....hmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

How do you like the 211. I am looking at the HH210 or the IM 230. I am torn because of the top end of the output and the duty cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

Equilibrium may or may not see this right now as she spends her winters quilting and sewing because it's too cold for her to weld outside where shes at. You'll have a better chance at a reply if you PM her.

As far as all three machines...

The Hobart HH210 and MM211 are very similar. The "original" transformer based MM211's were pretty much the same as the Hobart HH210 with the exception that you had an infinite adjustment range on the Miller and the auto set function. In performance, an good welder wouldn't notice the difference. The "new" MM211's are now inverters vs transformer machines. The squeak a bit more output out of them, but not enough to make a huge difference in performance. Big difference is in weight savings as the inverter model is a lot lighter than the older transformer machine. The Hobart is a bit less expensive. If I was on a tight budget, I'd give the nod to the Hobart. If I knew I was going to drag it around by hand as a "portable" machine, the weight savings on the newer MM211 would be a big advantage. Output wise all the HH210 and "both" versions of the MM211 are the same.

The Ironman 230 is in a different category. It's a full sized cabinet style mig. Closest Miller offering would be their MM212. You get more output from the Ironman and a greater duty cycle, a plus if doing alum, heavier steel, or if you plan to do a lot of "production" welding where duty cycle at lower settings starts to come into play. Downside besides the larger size is the lack of ability to run on 110v or 230v power like the smaller HH210 or MM211 can. Because the machine is large and heavy, so not really very "portable", so the lack of 110v input isn't a huge disadvantage. If you are looking for a machine you can use at home or take to someone elses house to do a few light jobs, the HH210 or MM211 would be a better choice. If you are looking for a dedicated shop machine, the higher duty cycle and higher top end output on the Ironman would get my vote hands down.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

after picking up an older 211. It is not exactly what I would call portable....its a beast. Honestly I doubt I would be taking it somewhere. I just cant help but think the IM 230 would be a better lifetime welder for the $500-600 extra.

Post Thanks / Like

Lis2323> Thank you. The cloned BD1 cart is a beauty.... and the flowers were the perfect finishing touch.
    --
    wornoutoldwelder> BD1 probably has a beer can holder on his cart....
    --
    "Don't bother me while I examine where on my cart I can attach mine....hmmmm" Ha ha ha.... you strike me as being as "flowery" of a guy as BD1... as in- NOT. If you do add a bud vase.... please post a photo!!!
    --
    Over winter I sewed a "funky" floral cover for my 211. The fabric is 70's retro and it's black and Miller blue so I'll have to replace my purty yellow sunflowers with something more appropriate. Will try to take a photo of it next time I'm at the barn with a camera. Come to think of it... so many people here have the MM211.... I probably should post the pattern I created for the cover in the event anyone wants to make their own.
    --
    pennsylvaniaboy> I loooooooove my "beast" 211 very much. If something ever happened to it, I'd buy another 211 just like mine and if I couldn't find one used in decent condition, I'd buy the new inverter MM211. They both do everything I want a MIG welder to do and I have tried other manufacturers' models in the same price bracket since purchasing mine. The new 211 does use less power and is considerably lighter.... about half the weight of the older model I have. I admittedly struggle a lot moving the "beast" in the photo by myself but thankfully it rarely needs to be moved off the cart. The new 211 has an improved duty cycle. While that may be a significant feature to some.... it hasn't been for me. I just don't hit it on the 211 I have because of my welding style.
    --
    DSW> still not receiving e-mail notifications of PMs but... my private messages filled up since I was offline and I haven't been able to get to those so.... nobody can PM me right now anyway. Oopsie.... will have to deal with PMs soon as I get some time.
    --
    Finally finished the quilt for the little girl with leukemia who is obsessed with horses.... am waiting for someone to get back to me with her first name so I can personalize the quilt for her.... maybe something to the effect of, "Made with love especially for (little girl's name)". Am working on finishing up one last red/white/blue quilt for a veteran and have one in the "pipeline" to try selling believe it or not. It is the first quilt I'm making specifically to sell. If it sells.... I'll just use the money to feed my steel habit. After that, I need to get my tomato, pepper, squash, pumpkin, and herb seeds started for planting out June 1st and then the weather should be consistently warm enough for me to start welding!!! It's been a long winter. I'm chomping at the bit to start welding again and have a list of projects I'd like to finish this season that would make your eyeballs boing out of their sockets!!!
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Post Thanks / Like

I like all the blue!
    Forney C5 Arc Welder
    Lincoln Idealarc 250-250 Ac/Dc Arc Welder
    Miller Bobcat 225g Plus
    Lincoln PowerMig 200

Forney O/A Rig

Post Thanks / Like

Can you get the side door open completely?
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Can you get the side door open completely?
    Yes , I slide the machine over on the shelf and the door opens completely . I use the 10 pound spools and no big deal.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist