+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wire Rope Pseudo-swage

Post Thanks / Like

Wire Rope Pseudo-swage

Took me a while to get up the courage to post a pic of something I had made...

Anyway, I salvaged a couple of 20-foot lengths of 3/8 wire rope that I thought I could use to drag logs out of the woods with. On each piece, one end had a nice factory-made loop, but the other end had a loop made of those U-bolt clamps. I wanted something a little more low-profile, if not more reliable.

The pic tells most of the story. I cut a couple of short pieces of tubing into halves lengthwise and then clamshelled them together with the doubled-back cable in the vise. Tack one side, flip it over, weld the other side, flip it over, weld the tacked side. When you have it in the vise, hammer the tubing down so there is a minimum of airspace between tubing and cable. Tighten the vise until it (or you) squeaks.

Not artful welding, but I'm learning. It works great.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wire Rope Pseudo-swage

When that flies apart remember to duck.

I have pulled on the clamps you didn't like till the cable broke, the clamps were fine.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very good and professional, but I would set the swages on an anvil or a good solid surface and center punch the swages on the "dead " side so it further crimps into the cable. I say this only to buy a little "insurance for you or others helping you. When a rope breaks it usually only messes up your day, when a cable breaks it can mess up your life.
    JMHO,
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bastard View Post
    When that flies apart remember to duck.

I have pulled on the clamps you didn't like till the cable broke, the clamps were fine.

Good Luck
    And that's when you DIDN'T saddle the dead horse!!!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I would be afraid of those homemade ferrules, the clamps your replaced are better. My experience with breaking cables they tend to break at the ferrule or the cable clamp, I would be afraid of yours slipping out. You could eye splice the ends of the wire rope which is a stronger way to finish a end than a ferrule or a clamp. Try going to animatedknots.com and looking at the eyesplice it is the same for the wire rope you have. I learn how to do it from a old guy that used to rig for Barnum and Bailey Circus setting up the flying trapeze. Thought I might throw out something I know because I am just learning this welding stuff

Post Thanks / Like

I agree w/ Dlama, an eyesplice would be best. Then get some tube large enough to fit over the splice and do vise sqeeze, tack thing over the "whiskers" so no one gets stabbed.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree. Even for ''just around the house'' i still would'nt trust it. The last thing you want is that to break under high tension.
    Ya gotta spend money to make money!

Post Thanks / Like

To use that cable under any tension is asking for trouble.I would scrap that idea.

Post Thanks / Like

The comments here made it clear that more testing was in order, so I went out and attached one end of the cable to a tree, the other end to my pickup. With repeated sharp jerks I was able to get one of the connections to slip.

So 86 this idea.

But hey, I did manage to post a picture! First time ever, on any forum.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that. When cable/ wire rope breaks under high tension it's stored up lots of energy. And God help whoever is in it's path!!!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't put 100 Lbs of tension on those. Done properly a triple cable clamp is fairly reliable.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Post Thanks / Like

Twist a loop in the end. It is as strong as the line itself.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use a dozer as a logging skidder. I used the commercial chokers they sell at the skidder dealer. One type has lug swaged on one end while the other has an eye that is swaged. (There is also a sliding steel catch that the lug end fits in to make the choke.) Trust me, the swages work. Of course these swages are crimped on with many tons of force and grip both the standing rope and the bitter end.

A problem with using the bolt on clamps is the bloody things hang up on just about every stump or rock or anything else you drag the logs around, including other logs, and this causes the wire rope to bend and kink and stretch and snap weakening the rope at the clamp. That's where it breaks. The swages don't usually hang onto stumps or catch on other debris. The clamps are fine for straight line pulls, but I didn't like dragging them around.

If you are going to swage the eye get the right parts and use the right tools to crimp 'em on. As a make-shift in a hurry you can use a blacksmith's hammer using the cross peen to crimp the swag parallel to the rope, not accross it. You will need some sort of anvil to do this. A foot or so hunk of RR rail works well. (So does the flat on top of the dozer blade!) Hand swageing will provide 95% of the wire rope strength, if done right. Use zinc plated or tin plated swages. These should be available from any merchant that sells wire rope. Or see http://www.usrigging.com/sleeves.html

- Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Atlas MFC Horizontal Mill
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Post Thanks / Like

Some "more attractive" mechanical clamps (nuts and bolts) can be found here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#wire-rope-clamps/=3uqjqj

Post Thanks / Like

Those all say NOT FOR LIFTING.

Well where in the heck do you get ones for lifting???
    Lincoln Power Mig 210MP MIG
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP - MIG and Push-Pull
    Lincoln TIG 300-300
    Lincoln Hobby-Weld 110v Thanks JLAMES
    CK TIG TORCH, gas diffuser, pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    My brain

Post Thanks / Like

I looked a few pages ahead and all the end fittings, including the multi-Ubolt style all say "Not For Lifting". I suspect that's to protect from liability. The OP says he's "pulling" logs so they should be fine for that. I do agree with others about breaking a wire rope under tension (or a fiber rope, even a chain), the whip lash that will be produced could sever a limb (personal limb, not tree.. maybe both). I've cleared many trees off properties and personally I would use chain and grab hooks. Much easier than wire rope to wrap around a log and hook back onto itself. If wrapped proper the chain will "bite" tighter onto the log as you pull.

Post Thanks / Like

a really thourough (by my standards) treatise on wire rope.

half way down are many example of terminations. some i like, some i dont.
    -i hate those sloppy looking saddles too.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/
    Last edited by dsergison; 10-01-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty good link, but I see one thing missing.
    Hand woven wire rope splices must not be used in a situation where the rope can be allowed to twist, or they can unwind themselves. There is no problem using them when both ends cannot rotate (say, for a circus tent tie down), but on a live load, or with a swivel, etc, woven splices are very dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like

Lifting vs. pulling, the percentage safety factors are very different.

A proper swage, sized correctly, and installed correctly, to the manufacturer's specs, is as strong or stronger than anything else.

I would use the two or three U-bolt system, before ever considering some home-brewed swages.

Post Thanks / Like

for pulling a safety factor of 3:1 must be maintained for overhead lifting its 5:1

A sling rated for lifting 1000 lbs must have a minimum breaking strength of 5000lbs.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Post Thanks / Like

If you untwist the rope to 2 1/2 the length of the loop you want, then tie an overhand knot in the ends until it settles back in it's twist, then keep going overhand with the ends until the loop is complete, then keep twisting the tag ends until the end, then serve the ends with wire, you will have a loop as strong as the line itself. It can be used for lifting and pulling and will not come out whether spinning or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob's description also describes how an eye is woven into a wire rope assembled with a swagged anchor.

Both small:
    Attachment 39664
    and larger sizes too:
    Attachment 39663

Last edited by denrep; 10-19-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    If you untwist the rope to 2 1/2 the length of the loop you want, then tie an overhand knot in the ends until it settles back in it's twist, then keep going overhand with the ends until the loop is complete, then keep twisting the tag ends until the end, then serve the ends with wire, you will have a loop as strong as the line itself. It can be used for lifting and pulling and will not come out whether spinning or not.
    When I learned it was called a Flemish Eye Splice.
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Post Thanks / Like

What you just described is what I was taught is a "molly hogan. In my experience w/ it do not under any circumstances lift or pull w/ it unless you put THREE clips(cable clamps) on it tying the live and dead ends together. And as always, put the saddles on the live end( don't saddle a dead horse). Trust me, I learned long ago w/ no personal injury or property damage this is the only way they can be used. I've only used them when no professionally made rigging was available and never used them for lifting anything except what was known to be waaaay under the capacity of the cable!!!!
    JMHO,
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

looking at the first foto, there is no real bond between the rope and the split coupling. itr occurs to me if this was brazed the filler would go into the spaces between the strands and bond to the inner surface of the split clamp..would love to know if that passed the pull test any better..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist