Thread: please help! Buy use mm 350 or mm 252

Post Thanks / Like

please help! Buy use mm 350 or mm 252

Name:  100_4363.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  69.9 KB Hello welders of the world. I am a welder/sculptor/fabricator. I have been apprenticing for a metal sculptor for the last 3 three years, and I am getting ready to start up my own shop. I have the opportunity to get a miller matic 252 from my lws for a good price. But the a guy at the welder repair shop in Sacramento has a miller matic 350p with a 25' python aluminum gun. He also offering a warranty.

Most of welding is shaping/building multiple beads at different temps. But I also have to do heavy stuff as well. I have never spray arced, but now that I have read about and seen the welds. I covet the process. The more options that I have with my bead, the better. The repair shop said they replaced the control boards with the "newer problem free" ones.

So the question is. Do I buy the used one with a lot more options and power or the new one that can do what I need and has a full warranty.
    I have heard that the 350p has issues. Are they common issues or here and their issues? I cant afford to buy the wrong machine. I could really use some valid opinions here guys. I feel like a new father. Except I get to choose my kid. Thanks! The pic is of Oscar the rattle snake. Me and the 211 spent some time together.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: please help! Buy use mm 350 or mm 252

First, welcome to the site. Your creation is awesome ! What material is that ?

As far as machines, how long of warranty on the used one ? Do you need the gun ? What's the price ?

Me, I would go for new 252 with the full warranty IF that will be large enough for your work. You'll have 3 years of hopefully trouble free welding. Plus, see what kind of a deal you can get on tanks and accessories at time of purchase. I found a package deal and CASH helps. Get prices from multiple suppliers too, tanks and fill cost seem to vary by supplier and location .
    There's nothing wrong with a used machine as long as you know the history of it. I would think that if someone had a 350 it was worked pretty hard. I'm sure we got someone here that will have info on the 350. Here's the MILLER site if you want to post there too. There's a member , Cruizer, that does service on machines that might have more info.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ng-Discussions

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. The standard 350p is a production model and very complicated. That is why Miller came out with one for alum only to simplify the process for alum guys like.me.

With the fantastic work you do, the 252 is one heck of a mig, has run- in control too. I would suggest the 252 for steel, and either use the spoolgun for alum, or pony up and buy a new MillerMatic 350P-Aluminum. I have the standard 350P, and it can be a PIA somtimes, so I only use it for alum and only one type of weld joint ever. I never ever ever run steel thru it as I have better mig welders for that.

Dang you do nice work.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you greatly for the reply guys! Last night I was pondering the two choices and decided on the 252. I was just thrown for a loop by the throwing all of his sales angles at me. I was happy with the 252 originally. But then the 350p was thrown at me with all of its dazzling options. I did some research on it and was looking at how difficult it was to set up as well as having issues with the boards. When I get 252 it will be from my lws. They are a harris gas distributor. It's them or air gas. I get all my steel from the harris guy and he is a metal sculptor as well. If I pay cash I will get for $2378 out the door. Before tax and what not it is $2183. When I bring the cash in they will work out a deal with my tanks.

I have a set of victor torches and gauges, 2 oxygen tanks. 1 is a 125 the other a 250 and an acetylene. So I have something to bring to the account. Just bought my steel for my welding table from him. He cut me a deal. Been really cool helped and me out a bit.

Question. I am thinking about buying a BIG argon bottle and a Big bottle of co2. Then getting a mixer and mixing my own gas. I want to try my hand at stainless. A sheet metal guy just gave me 4 sheets of stainless! JOY! So should I buy my gas pre mixed or mix my own, pay a little more but have more control?

Oscar is made with mild steel. Got any pics bd1? Name:  100_4337.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  62.3 KB OScar serves booz

Post Thanks / Like

A mixer will set you back quite a few dollars. They are nice, but really I would buy an extra bottle myself. That is just me. If you don't do much alum or tig, a C25, and a Trimix bottle will serve most of your needs.

Perhaps if you find a mixer cheap, that will be your ticket.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you live?

I have no artistic skills whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

Since it's business, I'd buy the 252, work it until it's paid for itself, then add another welding machine later at leisure. That way you'd have ample backup.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you have a tig or not but if you don't...

with the work you do you would probley do better to buy a 304 or 350 xmt

but its likely maybe you will want to cast bronze or brass at some point, the xmt will do dc tig which should be workable for various other things that are useful like coming in a melting area's without adding material.

the 350p is similar to a xmt with a wirefeeder built in.

used you will probley pay a bit more than a new 252 but you will have a better setup

Post Thanks / Like

Thank all of you metal guys!!! I definitely have been thinking about a tig. I got my o/a torches for high detail welding. But I have read that it is a pain to weld or cut stainless with them. Also going to venture into welding copper. I hope. I like how soft it is. It's just been making all the seems disappear. Stainless offers colors. Lots of colors. Just harder to work than mild.

I appreciate all of the input. Hope I have the opportunity to help others out.Name:  100_4349.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  34.5 KB Oscar throws flame to.

Post Thanks / Like

Your snake is twisted and so cool!! Love it
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.