+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aluminum and Mild Steel

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum and Mild Steel

This probably is not the right spot, but I am looking for a source of strength comparison between aluminum and mild steel? Specifically channel, purpose is to build a small trailer for my Ranger 8, thanks
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    1974 5K Lincoln/Wisconsin Powered (Cherry)
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum and Mild Steel

Hello Geezer, I don't have any specifics for strength comparisons between aluminum and steel however, consider that the weight savings from using aluminum over steel is often not enough to justify the use/cost of it over steel. Unless you already have a source for the aluminum and it is much less than typical retail, steel will be much more economical.

Also consider the difference in construction, if this is going to be a welded trailer you will have a lot more in wire cost/shielding gas cost, etc. It can also be argued that the weight/sizes of the steel construction members vs. aluminum might be negated due to the steel being stronger and thus being able to size the trailer components from smaller or thinner members as compared to the comparable aluminum pieces to achieve similar strengths.

Aluminum is more difficult to repair after you have constructed something out of it and it possibly requires repair(you're out on the road and something breaks and you have to find someone with the proper equipment to make the repair). Even if you use an aluminum alloy that has considerable strength, most of these alloys are heat treated and this is where their strength comes from. When you fabricate and weld something from them and don't have the ability to heat treat them back to their original condition you can end up with welded joints that will fail simply due to the reduction in strength from welding.

Just a few things to consider when you are choosing a design and the materials to go with. Good luck and best regards, Allan
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum has about 1/3 the Modulus of Elasticity that steel has (10 million psi vs 29 million psi). So for a given beam loading aluminum has about 3 times more deflection than the same cross section of steel beam.

Aluminum a higher yield stress than steel (43000 psi vs 36000 psi) so it can take more stress before yielding (permanent deformation).

Aluminum and steel have very similar ultimate tensile strengths (55000 psi vs 58000 psi) so in tension or sheer there isn't very much strength advantage in steel.

Aluminum is about 1/3 the weight of steel at .101 pounds per cubic inch vs .284 pounds for steel.

It is worth noting that aluminum is more prone to suffering from the heat affects of welding, which may lead to joint failures and it costs more per pound. If you aren't going to pull the trailer a very long distance you may be better off staying with steel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Allan, practical common sense advice. I am just a semi retired guy working out of his garage with an itch to build a small aluminum trailer for my ranger 8. Actually describing it as a trailer is a huge compliment. It only needs to be big enough to house my 500lb machine with no intentions for the highway. Part of it is I enjoy working with aluminum and have fabricated several add ons to jon boats but nothing structural. Thanks for the input, well received.

Post Thanks / Like

FernTJ, many thanks. That is useful info I was looking for an will defintely archive. I have experienced the affects of heat to aluminum welds. I was working on a pontoon boat welding an enclosure that someone nearly destroyed with a spool gun. I noticed the material annealed and after doing some research found out home come. I have neither the knowledge or equipment to heat treat so I am careful on aluminum weld joints and choose my projects and approach carefully. Thanks again, great info.

Post Thanks / Like

As a rule of thumb I usually increase the thickness by 25% compared to steel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FernTJ View Post
    Aluminum has about 1/3 the Modulus of Elasticity that steel has (10 million psi vs 29 million psi). So for a given beam loading aluminum has about 3 times more deflection than the same cross section of steel beam.

Aluminum a higher yield stress than steel (43000 psi vs 36000 psi) so it can take more stress before yielding (permanent deformation).

Aluminum and steel have very similar ultimate tensile strengths (55000 psi vs 58000 psi) so in tension or sheer there isn't very much strength advantage in steel.

Aluminum is about 1/3 the weight of steel at .101 pounds per cubic inch vs .284 pounds for steel.

It is worth noting that aluminum is more prone to suffering from the heat affects of welding, which may lead to joint failures and it costs more per pound. If you aren't going to pull the trailer a very long distance you may be better off staying with steel.
    I found this interesting - I will have to push some extraneous info out of my brain and add this to my limited storage area
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at Aloominum cargo carriers that mount in a receiver. You'll be fine making running gear for the Ranger 8.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ed, I just googled a couple, 500lb rating. Sure will provide a good pattern to take off from. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I found this interesting - I will have to push some extraneous info out of my brain and add this to my limited storage area
    I always make a mental note, then commonly lose the scrap of paper it is written on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FernTJ View Post

I'm relatively new to building things from aluminum. I've long been intrigued with aluminum. My father was an aircraft mechanic in WWII and the Korean Conflict. His stories of aircraft and the way you repaired bomber damage facinated me. By 1966 he got an income tax refund and let me decide how to spend it. The Grumman 15' Standard Weight canoe looks and functions as well now as then.

When I build something of steel, prep and paint are drudgery. Rust seems to begin about ten minutes later. In a few years it may still be functional, but doesn't look very good. Even if it's just a garbage can built from aluminum I know it will be used by generations. Someday my great grandson is going to say that I built it. Aluminum is not as strong, but is more durable.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist