Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Oldest welder you guys are still using???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oldest welder you guys are still using???

Someone else showed a Pencraft I sure JC Penney Co. That works similar. I had a sears that worked the same only the dials are dirfferent. On the sears the dial was directly on top the Pencraft it sweeps left to right. The common link between all of them is the clamp handle on the center right front. I have also seen a Century that is a mirror image of the Pencraft other than color. I would imagine they all may have been made by the same mfg.

The Sears I had was a pretty good welder. I don't think it ever seen usage other than DC reverse though. I finally gave it to someone as I had accumulater bigger & better stuff & no longer needed it.
    IF IT WORKS, DON'T FIX IT

2 Lincoln CV-300 / LN-7 GMA
    Linde-VI 253,400 & 450 w/MIG35 feeders
    CNC Table with Oxweld O/A & Hypertherm 1250G3
    Lincoln Ranger GXT 250
    Hobart-MicroWire 300
    ESAB Heliarc 161
    ESAB-Mobilemaster 2 CC/CV Feeders
    & more

Post Thanks / Like

Oldiron2:

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at the welder and help me identify it. I would REALLY appreciate it if you could send me a picture of a clearer faceplate. I will definitely open this welder up and clean up and check connections before I use it. I do have the cables with it. I just need to shorten one where it looks like the wire was nicked. I am also finishing up my 220V circuit. I did not have an extra plug for this in my shop in a location that I could drag it outside. I have really enjoyed this forum and appreciate everyone being so helpful. I have learned a lot in the last several days. Thanks again. I am sure that you are busy with more important things, but I would appreciate you emailing me photo(s) of the faceplate when you have time. Please email them to rdrawdy@hotmail.com Many thanks!
    Last edited by newelder; 05-26-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    Newelder, that unit was sold by Montgomery Wards, probably in the late 70's-early 80's. I have the catalog it was listed in, somewhere. I have no idea who built it, but know it's well-made; I just lubed the locking handle on, and blew the dust out of one last week.
    I could 'eventually' send you, or post here, a picture of the front panel if you could use the picture to make a correct size photocopy to transfer to a new front face on yours. I don't think cleaning, Bondo and a new paint job would be as good or as easy as a new faceplate, do you?
    The carbon arc directions refer to settings to use with the C.A. torch (which a recent thread discussed) that was available through Wards. The only other markings you really need are the DC polarity; the positive (+) terminal is the lower right.
    I would open it up, clean it of dirt and dust, then check for corrosion and bad connections before trying to use it.
    Do you have the cables for it? Their connectors are just slightly-tapered brass plugs and are a press fit into the sockets on the welder.

So far as a manual goes, it didn't say much, for there isn't much to say. Pull up on the lock handle to the right, move the amperage control to where you want it, push the lock handle down. Plug the cables in to the two AC, or the two DC sockets to get the type current or polarity you want, and turn the switch on. To learn about proper settings, you'll need to go elsewhere, although the faceplate did have some general recommendations for amperage.

BTW, the 250 Amp output refers to both the AC and the DC settings!
    Thank you very much for taking the time to look at the welder and help me identify it. I would REALLY appreciate it if you could send me a picture of a clearer faceplate. I will definitely open this welder up and clean up and check connections before I use it. I do have the cables with it. I just need to shorten one where it looks like the wire was nicked. I am also finishing up my 220V circuit. I did not have an extra plug for this in my shop in a location that I could drag it outside. I have really enjoyed this forum and appreciate everyone being so helpful. I have learned a lot in the last several days. Thanks again. I am sure that you are busy with more important things, but I would appreciate you emailing me photo(s) of the faceplate when you have time. Please email them to rdrawdy@hotmail.com Many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

How about a thread on OLDEST GUYS still using a welder?
    Felon
    Caution lurker lives here
    " hmmm That is serious,pass the ganja and pick up a 24 of MGD"

Post Thanks / Like

A bunch of us..LOL

Newelder..I figured someone here would ID yours...You got lucky that Oldiron2 could provide that much info...I'd be happy with the AC/DC ability,( a new one is $5-600 hundred bucks)...Buy whoever gave it to you a couple of good steaks to grill..

If your lead isn't too badly damaged you might just tape the damaged spot up..your description of the damage seemed minor.

Post Thanks / Like

Got this one a few months ago. Been learning welding on it (bumpers for my Jeep). Put in a 50 amp 6 gauge line and its runs great. I can weld @100 amps all day.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have a picture of it, but Dad has an Allton Brothers welder on the farm. Old stick welder with the plug in taps similar to the Forney's. Get a 1/4" rod plug into the ground & 'C' tap, it would cut most of the steel we had to cut. Either that or dad gave me the hack saw & said "have at it"..........(2" square solid toolbar)

After I went into the Air Force, he finally bought a torch set up at a farm sale. My nephew is running the farm now has a Miller 251 sitting out there now. He's never even struck an arc with the old one.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Lincoln WeldandPower 225 AC/DC G-7 CV/CC
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

Post Thanks / Like

ive got a 1949' sa 200 shorthood. just repainted and guages installed. need new dials and faceplate though

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1945 model Lincoln SA 200. It doesnt have a serial number and the guy at the factory couldnt even get me some new rubber bushings that go on the flywheel to make the armature turn. But I went to town and found hydraulic hose the right size had them cut me some and I was in bussiness. It doesnt have a starter hole for the starter so has to be started with a crank. It does have a rheostat not just a chain to wind it up to get more heat so its a good welder. Shes weak and fouls a plug on the first cylinder after about 15 min. I have an overhead engine from a swather I am going to put on it. Still a good smoth welder. Always starts on the fourth crank. Harold

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of my favorite threads. I really enjoy the history and pictures of the different unusual welders that have been made thru the years. The personal stories attached to some of these gems are great too.

I still haven't tracked down anymore information on the very old Omaha AC welder I've got,but I'm still able to use it and bought an old arc stabilizer/starter that I'm planning to attach to it to try some Tig (If the Stabilizer works).

Everyone Please keep adding to this thread....It's a great reference source for everyone as well as interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one that sitting in our shop. It works, but we don't have an outlet wired up that we can run it with, yet.
    Benson's Mobile Welding - Dayton, OH metro area - AWS Certified Welding Inspector

Post Thanks / Like

Just signed up to the site after seeing this thread. So I figured I join and post a ficture of my old Forney C-5, it's not the oldes but still old. All I've done to it is change the leads and the power wire and plug due to them being brittle.

Currently I am using it to build bumpers for my truck and other such items.

I should add that it came with about 30 lbs of assorted rods, 2 plastic rod cases, helmet, 2 pairs of leather gloves and a very large Ammo box to house all the stuff.
    Last edited by 91Runner; 09-12-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It may not be the oldest,but it's still a dandy and in great condition. Welcome to the party BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 91Runner View Post
    Just signed up to the site after seeing this thread. So I figured I join and post a ficture of my old Forney C-5, it's not the oldes but still old. All I've done to it is change the leads and the power wire and plug due to them being brittle.

Currently I am using it to build bumpers for my truck and other such items.

I should add that it came with about 30 lbs of assorted rods, 2 plastic rod cases, helmet, 2 pairs of leather gloves and a very large Ammo box to house all the stuff.
    Seen one on Craigslist just like that one not long ago in my are for sale, thought about getting it, but it was gone when I called!

Nice old Forney!
    #1. If you don't like what I wrote, or if it offends you, then don't read it!
    #2. I am living life the way I see fit, if you don't like the way I'M living, tough sh**!

Post Thanks / Like

I think those old Forney's are pretty much bullet proof, they will last and last. I had one for quite awhile it did a good job. Only reason I don't have it any longer I went to a AC-DC welder.

P.S. Yours looks to be in great condition, if you look back through the posts for this thread you will see a photo of the old Forney I used to have. Also found while I had it that the Forney folks were great people to deal with. I never needed any parts for it but I did get with them to see if they had any old manuals around for it. They sent me a manual at no-charge.

Post Thanks / Like

I went through every page, with everyone I was like a kid on X-mas. I did see the old Forney. I contacted Forney and got a PDF user manual and some other info. Mine works like a charm. I've used a few different Arc welders over the years and I'm sure mine works better than most. I do however wish I had a garage/shop to weld in, this summer has been really rainy - check the weather every morning to see if I can break it out or not..... Blaaaa....

Post Thanks / Like

Hello 91runner,

There's another Forney thread over here:
    http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=31355

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Post Thanks / Like

The KARC-100 I have I'm not sure it's a 1986 model(I could be wrong on that though)
    Drink a Guinness Draught....
    Millermatic 140
    Do you still remember
    December's foggy freeze --
    when the ice that
    clings on to your beard is
    screaming agony.

Post Thanks / Like

OK......I've got an almost new Hobart mig......but my oldest welder is 53. (see picture)

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 91Runner View Post
    I went through every page, with everyone I was like a kid on X-mas. I did see the old Forney. I contacted Forney and got a PDF user manual and some other info. Mine works like a charm. I've used a few different Arc welders over the years and I'm sure mine works better than most. I do however wish I had a garage/shop to weld in, this summer has been really rainy - check the weather every morning to see if I can break it out or not..... Blaaaa....
    91Runner do you find your Forney likes some welding rod and others it doesn't? I could always use 6013,7014, both great, 6011 it was so so, but couldn't do much with the 7018. When I went to strickly AC 7018 after finally gettting it to arc I could get a bead to run.

With the 7018 AC-DC rod, it was like someone had turned the power down to next to zero. Even with the power maxed out on the old Forney it was like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Jim! If that's your mug (not saying its a bad one, actually pretty good), you know you just openned up yourself for some good old ribbing !!! I'll refrain for know, but later, who knows!
    A few of my toys !
    LinuxMint
    Manjaro

Miller Roughneck 2E
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    HTP MTS 160
    Chicago Electric 80amp Inverter
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

The same pic is on the Hypertherm web site....so I guess its public!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gnewby View Post
    91Runner do you find your Forney likes some welding rod and others it doesn't? I could always use 6013,7014, both great, 6011 it was so so, but couldn't do much with the 7018. When I went to strickly AC 7018 after finally gettting it to arc I could get a bead to run.

With the 7018 AC-DC rod, it was like someone had turned the power down to next to zero. Even with the power maxed out on the old Forney it was like that.
    So far I haven't had an issue with the rod, but that's only because every rod I've used came with my welder - go figure. I will be trying some 7018AC/DC soon enough, co I'll let you know!

Post Thanks / Like

My grandpa has a sears machine he said is 30 to 40 years old not sure what model! Why cant things now days last as long as they use to? Im 23 and Im always coming across stuff my dad and grandpa has that are 30 years old or older and they still work! DAMN CHINESE