Thread: Hypertherm Air filter advice

Post Thanks / Like

Hypertherm Air filter advice

Greetings all,
    Later today i am ordering a Powermax 30, and would like advice on what external airline filter/drier i should get to use with it. Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hypertherm Air filter advice

any opinions on the motor guard M26?

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested in this too. I have pretty clean air (I think) but it doesn't hurt to add another filter, even if for my air tools. The Hypertherm unit is like $100 but that seems a bit rich to me for an air filter/water separator.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'll chime in with what works for me.

My first filter is this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98904

It's a pretty cheesy unit, the regulator is crap (I replaced it with a 3/8" in/out regulator), but it does catch water and junk. Exiting the unit, I go through a 50' coil of 3/8" refrigeration copper tubing, and then in to a Sharpe 6710:

http://www.spraygunworld.com/Informa...rFilters30.htm

And while the Sharpe looks "sort of" like that Harbor Freight filter, there's simply no quality comparison at all. The Sharpe is a much, much better built unit. It's like comparing the cheapest Wal Mart PC to a top of the line HP Workstation in quality. Everything from the materials to the assembly quality is significantly better.

Anyhow, after those, my air goes through a Motorguard M60:

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...uard%20M60.htm

I can usually get water when I open the HF filter, very rarely get anything out of the Sharpe, and the Motorguard has shown nothing in the 2 years that I've been running it. I use this setup for painting as well. No, it was not 'cheap', but neither is a set of Hypertherm tips (if you haven't priced them yet). I'm still on my original set of tips after 5 months of plasma ownership.

I have all of this stuff mounted to the wall, with a 3/4" copper lines along the ceiling of my shop, air drops down to valves, etc. So I did invest some time/money in to building the air system, but I gotta say, it was worth every minute and every penny.
    The soldering toys pay for the welding toys.
    Hakko 928 dual iron, 4xHakko 936
    Madell 850D Hot Air SMT Rework
    Miller 252, HTP Invertig 201 AC/DC, and a Hypertherm 45.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yesindeed View Post
    any opinions on the motor guard M26?
    I use 3 motorguard products:
    M-30 filter (seems like your M26 with different fittings)
    M-1000 Air Management & Desiccant Drier
    An auto drain. (forgot the part #)

The M-30 has worked great, 6yrs and going.
    The desiccant beads (M-1000) I heat in the oven and reuse.
    The condensate auto drain startles me sometimes, but it beats draining the tank.

I'm very happy with all of them.

I should disclose that I don't have a plasma unit yet, my use is based around automotive fabrication and paint.
    Cheers,
    -Marcus

Thermal Arc 250 GTSW
    Miller Maxstar 200
    Lincoln SP125 Plus
    Victor Journeyman
    Huntsman VXL 4X4
    Metabo grinders (9", 6", 5")

Post Thanks / Like

If your looking to keep it on the cheap before you invest in a good dryer, they make dispoasable dissicant air dryers made to go on paint guns. I have the Miller Air dryer, it was like $180 and it works well, but I always add the little dissicant dryer to the line to make myself feel better. I think they are like $14 from Grainger for a 2 pack. They are good for a full weekend of use, but thats about it.
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
    Harry S Truman

Post Thanks / Like

I use Reading Technologies Inc. they work the best that I have found. Cost is not cheap, approx 300.00
    1990 SA 200
    Miller 225
    Rip Miller302
    Miller 135
    Lincoln 200 Mig
    Hypertherm 600 Plasma
    Plasma Cam Cutting Table
    Mikita Cold Saw
    JL Welding Tx . com

Post Thanks / Like

Really depends on the relative humidity....how much you use your air, how often you drain your compressor tank. If the tank has an auto drain....or you religiously drain it (daily)...then a Motorguard may be adequate. For heavier use, higher humidity....a dessicant filter (along with a particulate filter such as motorguard and regular tank draining) is good......a refrigerated dryer with auto drain is the best. There has been very good feedback from plasma users with the $350 Harbor freight refrig. dryer.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I saw that a while back, after I bought the Reading. Another thing I learned from a old timer in the paint buss, was moisture devlopes the most at approx 25 ft from tank. So what I did is put a Harbor Freight filter at 25 ft and then ran the line up at angle along the wall for about another 25ft. then down to another small H F filter then the Reading Filters about 5ft before it goes into Hypertherm 600 with copper line to machine. I have never seen water come from Readings filters, but I guess there is probly some there. And drain tank is a must everyday.
    1990 SA 200
    Miller 225
    Rip Miller302
    Miller 135
    Lincoln 200 Mig
    Hypertherm 600 Plasma
    Plasma Cam Cutting Table
    Mikita Cold Saw
    JL Welding Tx . com

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting thread as I finally purchased the pm45 /arriving in a
    couple of days and I'd like to work on the air setup in the meantime.

Over here I was quoted $750 - $1200 for a refrigeration dryer (some Italian make,
    Kaeser and Parker) - which costs more than my compressor

I have a 45 gallon/3kW compressor and I drain it every day , have a coarse
    filter and will add a fine filter.

Now, before I go and try out adding black pipe / long coils of copper pipe and filters, just curious - how dry does the air have to be for the plasma to work optimally/not use up the consumables too fast - is there any way of telling the air is dry enough (I thought vapor can pass through the filters)

I will be using the compressor for plasma(hand and CNC)/woodwork spraying etc. - so would like a solution which really works.

Forgot to ask - I'm on of these "late starters" in the field of welding etc. - for the copper pipe - what is the best way to join it to the connectors etc.
    Last edited by vjeko; 03-02-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you point an air hose on a mirror.......let it flow for 20 seconds....and see droplets on the mirror.....then you have too much moisture for the plasma system. You can actually purchase the same types of air filters that would be used for automotive paint spray applications.....the flowrates are similar....and that should be adequate for the Powermax 45.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Post Thanks / Like

OK JIm, am I reading you right that you would also suggest to
    try the filter/copper piping etc. first ?

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think any special piping is going to make much difference......however the way you route the piping is critical......drain the moisture off a low leg of the pipe.....and source your air off the highest point of the pipe. If the filter/moisture trap is adequate for paint spray.....it is adequate for plasma.

If you have extremely high humidity......the only good choices will be either a refrigerant dryer, or a dessicant dryer. The refrigerant dryer requires very little maintenance....so long term is the least expensive. Refrigerant dryers can be purchased in the US for less than $400 (US$)

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Are all air filter the same? I mean, do they have the same functions like for example in cars?