+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brake System Cleaner? Is there such a thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Brake System Cleaner? Is there such a thing?

I'm trying to solve a problem I have. I have mold/algae growing in my brake system. the fluid turns brown in a few days. The brake system works fine, but it looks nasty, the master cylinder has a brown film on the inside of the resevoir. I'm hoping there is a way to flush the system then refill it. anyone have any ideas?

I have completely changed the fluid a few times, I need another option.
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
    Harry S Truman

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brake System Cleaner? Is there such a thing?

Alcohol used to be the answer, at least for brake system flushing.
    I don't know about compatibility with newer components.

Seems like denatured alcohol would kill the algae too.
    We may have to wait for Oldiron2, the staff chemist.

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 12-06-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

BG Products ( http://www.bgprod.com/home.html ) makes flushing products for all automotive applications including brakes. check them out might be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

I would expect ethanol to damage the rubber seals.

Are you flushing and replacing the brake fluid from a new container? Algae should not be able to grow in dry fluid, but once exposed to air, it will absorb a lot of water, that could make it more compatible with life.

Are you sure the brownness is algae? Could it be rubber seals and components in your brake system, breaking down, and dissolving? Not all brake systems are compatible with all fluids.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone

No I'm not entirely sure it is algae. The truck is a 2004, I have completely flushed the system 3-4 times now and it still is nasty. I guess it could be seals braking down, but I sure hope not. I used to drive the truck through standing water on a few occasions playing around, I thought that might have something to do with it. My thinking was that since I never have been able to flush the system completely that whatever is "growing" in the lines just kept coming back. The system has the correct fluid in it, I don't remember if it is DOT 3 or 4 but it has whatever the cap calls for.

I might just have that BG flush done that was recommended by Ranger_5_0
    Harry S Truman

Post Thanks / Like

How are you bleeding the system ? Start with the wheel furthest from the M/C and work your way to the closest making sure you get clean new fluid at each one before moving to the next . Also check that the M/C cap seal is intact and sealing properly as brake fluid is hygroscopice it absorbs water which in turn contaminates the fluid.

Are you having any other braking issues or brake fluid leaks ?

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem with brown brake fluid. It was a bad master cylinder and brake line. It was allowing air/water into th system, turning the fluid brown.

Post Thanks / Like

I 2ND hp246 post as I had this problem with my GMC shop truck sucking air into the system. Plus by sucking in air it also was sucking in the air moisture causing a milky chocolate brake fluid.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be tearing into the brake system in the next few weeks it appears, I took the truck to the shop and they couldn't even life the truck with their lift. It's isnt a gigantic truck, just a diesel 4x4 with 8" of lift, but whatever. Im going to pull the master cylinder and replace it and the resevoir, then I wanted to put braided lines on it that are 2" longer so I guess this is a good time to do that as well. I asked around and have been told I can put denatueed alcohol through the steel part of the line only, does everyone agree on this?
    Harry S Truman

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't even bother with adding anything but brake fluid. just power flush the system with a good pressure bleeder. You can by brake fluid by the gallon at Napa. Run enough fluid through it till its crystal clear coming out all the bleeders.

I have a motive power bleeder. Best money i ever spent on a brake tool.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Post Thanks / Like

i took a propane tank and made myself a pressurized brake system bleeder. puts a gallon through in 5 minutes
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport plus w/ spoolmate 100
    victor 315c oxy/(act and prop)
    Miller digital elite
    milwaukee power tools

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist