+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My little Lincoln 225

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My little Lincoln 225

All this nostalgia for the tombstone buzz box makes me ill. I hate the dang things. Once I got access to a round top Idealarc I threw mine away....well, gave it away to a cousin. It was actually a Miller. It's sitting in his garage full of black widows now. Makes a nice home for them.

Looked something like this here:

Post Thanks / Like

I was following this thread back when you first started it. Then I completely forgot about it until I just stumbled across it again while scanning deep into the Lincoln forum.
    Wow, It turned out great!

Those first couple of before pictures of your AC225 on the first page are neat too. That faded look just lets everybody know your buzz box has been around and probably laid more bead than that last guy who posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ View Post
    I got a little more done today.

I pulled the Amperes Selector switch apart and gave it a good cleaning.

There wasn't much corrosion, pitting or arcing on the contact par of the switch.

So it cleaned up nice.

Even the contacts were clean.

So I just hit them with a little scotchbright, 1500 sand paper and a clean cloth.

I put some light grease on the contacts, contact bar and the ratcheting mechanism and reassembled the switch.

I'll just clean off the transformer, check the connections to make sure their tight, hit the power switch with some contact cleaner and lube and the insides will be finished.
    How do you take the switch apart? When the machine was given to me the selector was stuck on 75. I turned it and the plastic popped out of the copper part that should be turned by the plastic piece. I got the plastic part back in the copper part but it pops out now when I try to turn it.Name:  IMG_0003.JPG
Views: 700
Size:  126.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

After looking at the pictures closer posted by Doug I found the roll pin and got the switch apart. Cleaned it all up and put it back together. Same problem. Could the shorter plastic end be worn so as not going into the other piece completely? Great pictures by the way Doug.

Post Thanks / Like

Found my problem. The copper piece was bent so that it would let the short plastic piece pop out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tazassape View Post
    How do you take the switch apart? When the machine was given to me the selector was stuck on 75. I turned it and the plastic popped out of the copper part that should be turned by the plastic piece. I got the plastic part back in the copper part but it pops out now when I try to turn it.Name:  IMG_0003.JPG
Views: 700
Size:  126.2 KB
    After looking at the pictures closer posted by Doug I found the roll pin and got the switch apart. Cleaned it all up and put it back together. Same problem. Could the shorter plastic end be worn so as not going into the other piece completely? Great pictures by the way Doug.
    Found my problem. The copper piece was bent so that it would let the short plastic piece pop out.
    tazassape
    I'm glad you were able to find the problem. a little dielectric grease on the contacts will help the parts slide a little easier also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob E. View Post
    I was following this thread back when you first started it. Then I completely forgot about it until I just stumbled across it again while scanning deep into the Lincoln forum.
    Wow, It turned out great!

Those first couple of before pictures of your AC225 on the first page are neat too. That faded look just lets everybody know your buzz box has been around and probably laid more bead than that last guy who posted.
    Hey Bob,
    Thanks for the comments. It was a lot of fun restoring that old welder and you're right it has burned a lot of rods.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist