Thread: practicle aluma pro gun length

Post Thanks / Like

practicle aluma pro gun length

I am considering adding either a spool gun (probably a 30a) or else a aluma pro for my 252. What is the practicle length for the aluma pro I see the make them to 35'. The use will be light fabrication probably up to 1/4" material and repair on our aluminum cattle and dump trailers. The price of the 30a is appealing but the bulk and small spools is a turn off but I dont want to buy the alumapro and find out the wire I need to use wont feed properly Thanks for looking and hopefully advising
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: practicle aluma pro gun length

It doesn't matter length, just what you need for length. All the guns run fine at any length. Unless it's production aluminum welding, get the 30a spool gun. Or xr 30a with the feeder. But the alumapro, even though I love mine, is very expensive for light duty. To be honest the 30a with the flex head nozzle will get in tighter spaces and is absolutely bullet proof. Get the spoolgun, flex nozzle and save a ton of money.

Post Thanks / Like

What he said. Push/pull is nice but a spool gun would be better and probably a fair bit cheaper for your application. Not only that but it's a faster changeout going from steel to aluminum, less outlay for a 1lb spool of wire rather than a 10 lb.....Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys. I know the aluma pro is more money but I wanted to explore the option. Didnt want to buy the spool gun and regret not checking into the aluma pro
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
    What he said. Push/pull is nice but a spool gun would be better and probably a fair bit cheaper for your application. Not only that but it's a faster changeout going from steel to aluminum, less outlay for a 1lb spool of wire rather than a 10 lb.....Mike
    I weld aluminum everyday with Alumapro guns . We have 25' and 35' in the shop. We converted to the push pull guns about 3 years ago. Before that we used MK prince xl guns. I go back to the spool gun in a minute. My employees could never get changing a spool quickly. Although you have a spool in your hand, you don't have all that heavy cable. With a flex nozzle you'll get anywhere you would get with a push pull gun. I also question whether you can hook a Alumapro to a 252 miller.

welderbob

Post Thanks / Like

I also question whether you can hook a Alumapro to a 252 miller.
    Good point, we've got a 252 at work and I don't think you can, I stand to be corrected tho.....Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Lws said they plug and play but they have been known to be wrong. Would definitly check before dropping the coin.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's