+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i need some help

Post Thanks / Like

Question i need some help

hi fellas
    I basically got this arc weld for free i know it works but i cant find anything on it. The welder is made by Marquette. It has tons of different selectable amperage settings as well as high, mid, and low. It also has a built in 6" cooling fan. if anyone could tell me anything about this welder i would be grateful. if it is a lot of things email me at deeper2dive@gmail.com

Joshua
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: i need some help

Hi.

I'm not quite sure what sort of info you might be looking for. If you are wondering how this works, it's pretty simple. To get the amps you want you have to plug in the two cables. Since this is an AC machine it doesn't matter which goes where. The row along the top gives you you settings. find the number of amps you want and plug one cable in there. For example maybe you want 95 amps. Find a column that has 95 in it. Lets say that column has 85,95,105 listed. Now the 2nd cable would go into the mid range spot down lower, since the 95 is in the middle spot. if you wanted the higher number you would use High and so on.

Other than that theres not much to these machines if you open then up. You'll find the fan, an on/off switch and the transformer and plug wiring. Usually there isn't much to break on these. at worst someone burns up a socket if they don't get the cable plugged in well, or a wire loosens up.

There's been a ton of stuff built with these old transformer machines. 6013, 6011, 7014 and 7018AC are good rod choices. The rod package will give you amps to set the machine based on rod size.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

What else would you like to know about a 300 amp single phase AC machine. JG
    SMAW,GMAW,FCAW,GTAW,SAW,PAC/PAW/OFC
    and Shielding Gases. There all here.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Not much on the Internet about Marquette Welders. But in In November 2003, Lincoln Electric / WCTA acquired Marquette Welding Products from Clore Automotive.

You might want to try contacting Lincoln on the Internet site.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

Lube the fan motor every now and then and and blow out the dust every now and then. Replace leads as needed and it should last for years. It's really hard to mess up an old transformer machine.
    Tough as nails and damn near as smart

Post Thanks / Like

i like using and restoring old equipment, i learned to weld and cut with oxy-acetylene on iron work in the the 6th grade good ole metal shop, i won a few contests, and that grow my love to use my hands to make and fix things.. i wanted to learn to arc weld since to me it would better serve me on the old trucks and things in my shop.. i have been reading in great detail everything i can, before trying to shock the sh*t out of myself.. ok here is a question

where do i find the supplies to say build a table.. out of metal of course if wood is to lumberyard what is metal to?

also i cant find any parts say replacement parts for this welder.. i know it is one tuff machine but i would like to find somewhere to get the part, should something break..?

is there any known issues that may arise with these older welders?

also thanks for the help ..
    joshua

Post Thanks / Like

My 2c...

Parts - if any available for this machine will cost much more than to buy a new machine... From scraps or some ads like Craig may be worth, but finding is a job on its own....

You have really simple machine. Therefore VERY reliable... It affraids of dirt, dust, knocking - apart from this - will pump electricity forever... Once you cleaned it - I mean brush, cloth, compressor - just use it with care...

The only issue I can imagine with older welders - dried insulation... Say wires, cables... Older transformers built with paper and varnish insulation - forever... But affraids of knocking...

About metal - its a local issue. Say for Toronto - I looked at many places - found in Yellow pages - new black metal resonably priced - about 50C - 1$ Can/pound...

Many advise for scrap yard - never have seen one in Toronto... Just look around - ask in shops in industrial areas, look in Yellow pages, local ads...

Good luck and looking forward to more pics :-)
    Last edited by Nomand; 12-25-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

>>About metal - its a local issue. Say for Toronto - I looked at many places - found in Yellow pages - new black metal resonably priced - about 50C - 1$ Can/pound...<<

I agree with Nomand, I am also in the Toronto area (Pickering), it's hit and miss on the metal for projects and/or practicing.

I am currently practicing on 4130 Chromoly, I ended up going to an aircraft supply place (Leavens Brothers in Malton, Ontario) and buying some new tubing (10 feet of 1.625 .083 wall) and plate (18 inch by 18 inch), I had a local metal place (Ability Metals) slice the plate in to 1 inch strips (which I am then cutting in to 6 inch lengths with a hack saw myself).

The local race car builder (Chassis Shop) also sells Chromoly tubing, and the local metal place (Ability Metals) sells all kinds of mild steel tubing and plate (all new stuff, nothing used).

I have not poked around any scrap metal places as yet (because it's winter here), but I'll certainly do so when the weather warms up (you never know what you will find).

Regards to all.
    Working on cars and bikes is my hobby, learning to weld the pieces together is my quest.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist