+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sunday Work

Post Thanks / Like

Sunday Work

Been working on a pipe fence job lately but had another weldor friend that took a project that needed some help with it. It had to be done by Sunday night so the customer could pick it up on Monday morning. He is a young guy with a small shop so he brought it out to mine. We've worked on several projects together and compliment each other well. This was no exception.

These were signs for a burger shop like we have built before but with some changes. The first one took 4 hours, the second took 3 hours and the last one took an hour and a half. We were just getting it down when we ran out of signs. He had every thing cut with a water jet and fit up was absolutely perfect. One ring of these signs slides through a hole in a wall and the other slides into that ring from the other side of the wall.It was a 10 hour day with the temps in the 20's but the pay was good.

They still hadn't picked up the signs by dark today, the bastards.

I didn't get to use the fine mig hand I had before.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sunday Work

Nice job helping out the little guy. I know that was a big reason for moving where I am to start a shop. The other shops in my are have been very helpful to me, I tried to buy a shop in Fargo and I had a bunch of the other shops in the area bad mouthing me when none of them even knew me.

Post Thanks / Like

I had help from a couple guys that had shops when I first started out. It made all the difference in the world to get up and going. I'm just doing the same thing. Plus, it's also nice having these young guys around to help me if I need it. They can both weld better than me, you know, steady hands, good eyes and all that. I just know more about fabricating than they do although they are pretty darn good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antibling View Post
    Nice job helping out the little guy. I know that was a big reason for moving where I am to start a shop. The other shops in my are have been very helpful to me, I tried to buy a shop in Fargo and I had a bunch of the other shops in the area bad mouthing me when none of them even knew me.
    Come east sometime. It's the same way here. I have one mentor in particular who is a great fabricator and I help him/he helps me on lots of stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TSCGG13 View Post
    Come east sometime. It's the same way here. I have one mentor in particular who is a great fabricator and I help him/he helps me on lots of stuff!
    Na I'm good here, I've had a few shops help me, when I need a press brake, they've cut me a good deal on the work, when I've needed a press, or slip roll, they've helped me out, helped me out with tips and info. Plus I do aluminum and portable welding which they don't, so they toss me work that comes along calling for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antibling View Post
    Na I'm good here, I've had a few shops help me, when I need a press brake, they've cut me a good deal on the work, when I've needed a press, or slip roll, they've helped me out, helped me out with tips and info. Plus I do aluminum and portable welding which they don't, so they toss me work that comes along calling for that.
    Haha I meant if you're driving through to visit, you got a good setup where you're at.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist