Thread: 6G stainless pipe pressure test tips.

Post Thanks / Like

6G stainless pipe pressure test tips.

Hey everyone! I'm new here and I've been welding for about 6 years now. I obtained my Alberta pressure ticket this past October and the shop I'm working for are upgrading all the pressure welders tickets. The next one to tackle is stainless pressure. The root is rolled MIG hard wire 316 I believe, with a stainless stick fill and cap. The root is going smooth but the fill passes are being a real bastard. I'm using 3/32 309-17 rod (I think) I was playing with my amperage from about 60-70 amps attempting to run stringers, tried a lil weave...Didn't seem to help to much. Ive been searching on forums trying to learn as much as I can on stick welding stainless and I found this video quite interesting . I read the forum where the video was posted and he was using a remote to fluctuate his amperage as he went through the weld. Granted this is a rolled position, I found his technique interesting. He used a stepping motion of lengthening and shorting the arc to manipulate how much heat he put in or to help the weld flow out nicer? How would using a remote out of position such as the 6G help? The dude in the video said he always uses a remote and I trust his word by how well his welds turned out. The test coupon will be 2" sch 160. Any help or advice is welcome!!

Thanks
    Chance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6G stainless pipe pressure test tips.

I think that guy's technique is pretty darn handy.

Though I'm sorry I can't give you any tips. I don't stick weld much.. it's all tig here.

Post Thanks / Like

How's your stainless on plate? Wouldn't go near 2" pipe till had confidence on plate, both stringers and weave. I've always used one hand to steady rod tip. Wouldn't be any good trying to play with remote in 6g. Running out of position stainless is about anticipating the base metal heating up during each individual rod. Basically need to keep heat low, aim at starting point to ensure nice tie-in, slowly straighten out and be ready to increase speed after as little as 1/2 inch of rod.

Post Thanks / Like

That reminds me, when I had to do a 309 stick break plate, I was told to start my tie in back over the previous weld instead of just ahead of it. Bring it to the crater and pause for a second, then start moving. And it was hard to run more than half a rod before the thing got red hot and wouldn't do anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldSparks View Post
    How's your stainless on plate? Wouldn't go near 2" pipe till had confidence on plate, both stringers and weave. I've always used one hand to steady rod tip. Wouldn't be any good trying to play with remote in 6g. Running out of position stainless is about anticipating the base metal heating up during each individual rod. Basically need to keep heat low, aim at starting point to ensure nice tie-in, slowly straighten out and be ready to increase speed after as little as 1/2 inch of rod.
    I have more experience with tig SS then I do on stick SS, I've done only pipe havent tried any plate yet. I have a massive linclon remote so I wasnt too postive on using it during the weld, like you said 6g is akward enough as it is nevermind holding a remote the whole time ha

Post Thanks / Like

The video I posted in the first post, he tapers off the heat at the end of weld to prevent getting the pinhole in crater like you stated. He said that you will have a hard time passing xray from not letting off the heat at the end. Havent tried it so I cant say yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chance_hogelie View Post
    The video I posted in the first post, he tapers off the heat at the end of weld to prevent getting the pinhole in crater like you stated. He said that you will have a hard time passing xray from not letting off the heat at the end. Havent tried it so I cant say yet.
    Never heard of this having to back down heat to prevent pinhole while ss stick welding. Possibly he's talking about in his circumstance where he is rooting without feathering restarts. In your case you say you mig the root.

Post Thanks / Like

What specific problems are you having?

What order are you doing them in by quadrant? Are you giving a slight drag on the rod uphill? Rod is in an oven before use?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can use remote in 6g position. There is absolutely nothing ankward on doing so.
    You just need to have more handy remote.
    Here is link where you can see what kind of a remote i use.

http://www.google.fi/search?q=kemppi...8qL9Xi513gM%3A

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can use remote in 6g position. There is absolutely nothing ankward on doing so.
    You just need to have more handy remote.
    Here is link where you can see what kind of a remote i use.

http://www.google.fi/search?q=kemppi...8qL9Xi513gM%3A

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a better link, I was playing with my phone on those first answers and added wrong link.. Sorry

http://webshop.industriacenter.fi/pr...mppi-pituus-5m

Post Thanks / Like

im welding pipe up in 1/2 quadrants, inclination is straight on to slight forehand, rods are not in a oven and if they have to be what temperature?

Post Thanks / Like

ya! that remote would be great! I wonder if I could adapt one to fit my lincoln 350 invertec

Post Thanks / Like

im welding pipe up in 1/2 quadrants, inclination is straight on to slight forehand, rods are not in a oven and if they have to be what temperature?
    Quadrants should be fine running 50/50 like that.

With ss stick rods, you want a slight drag when going uphill. VERY slight mind you... just a few degrees. So, in regards to your description, you want a slight backhand technique. Similar to running a self shielded core wire up. (NR232 or the likes).

The stainless rods should be kept in an oven. We use the Phoenix ovens. (Yellow tins). Set on high they are 300*. If your rods are out for awhile in your rod bag correct practice is to put them back in the oven for a period too, so if you have an oven, separate rods that are from the can to the oven and rods that are re-inserted BACK into the oven so you know which to grab and which need to stay in for a bit.

This is an SS to SS test, not a SS to Mild? Weird that they would have you running 309 on that.... I would expect they would run 308.

Post Thanks / Like

The test coupons are mild steel, forgot about that small detail. Been practing today and im ready to pull my hair out, ill have to try the slight backhand and get the rods in the oven as well. What about arc force? I found the hot start feature was helping as well, ive been practicing on plate to help figure out my settings n such current setup is 65amps arc force is about 40 hot start is 40 as well. Appreciate the tips!!

Post Thanks / Like

The test coupons are mild steel, forgot about that small detail. Been practing today and im ready to pull my hair out, ill have to try the slight backhand and get the rods in the oven as well. What about arc force? I found the hot start feature was helping as well, ive been practicing on plate to help figure out my settings n such current setup is 65amps arc force is about 40 hot start is 40 as well. Appreciate the tips!!
    Well if they are mild coupons that makes sense that you'd run the 309.

Post Thanks / Like

Also the rod im using is 309-17 and I got some 309-16, much of a difference? Cant remeber the manufacturer of ethier rods at the moment. I found that increasing travel speed helped a lot, have to move a hell lot faster then with 7018 to get to flow nicer.

Post Thanks / Like

Denotes positional application.

16 is can't be run in 4, can run all other positions. 17 is 1 and 2 position. No 3 or 4.

Post Thanks / Like

ya! that remote would be great! I wonder if I could adapt one to fit my lincoln 350 invertec
    Google tig torch remotes. There are different styles (north/south, east/west, and sliders),any of which can be ordered to fit lincoln welders. Then adapt it to a handle of your choice. That's one way to skin a cat...
    XMT 350 MPA
    Dynasty 280DX
    Suitcase 8RC / Optima
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Thermco Ar / C02 mixer
    Assorted O/A gear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetalfab View Post
    Denotes positional application.

16 is can't be run in 4, can run all other positions. 17 is 1 and 2 position. No 3 or 4.
    This is not entirely accurate, both are classified as all position electrodes. Unless of course he is running 4.8mm and larger size (which I highly doubt especially in his application) in which case it is recommended to stick to flat and horizontal positions.

As far as the differences this is taken from SFA 5.4

On horizontal fillet welds, electrodes with a -17 covering
    tend to produce more of a spray arc and a finer rippled
    weld-bead surface than do those with the -16 coverings.
    A slower freezing slag of the -17 covering also permits
    improved handling characteristics when employing a drag
    technique. The bead shape on horizontal fillets is typically
    flat to concave with -17 covered electrodes as compared
    to flat to slightly convex with -16 covered electrodes. When
    making fillet welds in the vertical position with upward
    progression, the slower freezing slag of the -17 covered
    electrodes requires a slight weave technique to produce
    the proper bead shape. For this reason, the minimum legsize
    fillet that can be properly made with a -17 covered
    electrode is larger than that for a -16 covered electrode.
    While these electrodes are designed for all-position operation,
    electrode sizes 3⁄16 in. [4.8 mm] and larger are not
    recommended for vertical or overhead welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taz00 View Post
    This is not entirely accurate, both are classified as all position electrodes. Unless of course he is running 4.8mm and larger size (which I highly doubt especially in his application) in which case it is recommended to stick to flat and horizontal positions.

As far as the differences this is taken from SFA 5.4
    You might be right.

Just replying based on what I remember from when I was an ironworker and we did a bunch of stainless cladding on the inside of a coal basin at a power plant awhile back.

I don't run SS smaw very often since then.