+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SS solar panel structure

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SS solar panel structure

I'm a chef, so ......

I did this as a proof of concept, its made from 1 1/2" elec conduit from home depot, it will not withstand marine enviroments unless sprayed with galvi paints but I've seen one that is 5 yrs old already. However, I plan to do another with alum, thats why I got the tig welder and have been practicing every day.
    Wow , look I'm really good at welding alum.
    Now I'm getting the tig dialed in its getting better.

The elec conduit bends very easily, the 90 deg corners for the top are sold already bent so all you have to do is weld the straight peices in and the top frame is done. I bent mine by sticking the 10 foot lengths thru a railing and just pulling on it by hand, its quite soft. As long as you keep the bends shallow there isn't a danger of kinking. I mig welded it with a Lincoln 100 weldpac, a very cheap welder.

You'll need a metal cutoff saw (get a handheld milwauki off craigslist) and a grinder with a stainless brush wheel to remove the galvi from the weld areas, you cannot safely weld galvi at all, zinc vapor is deadly.
    I didn't polish, just a spray coat of outdoor grey krylon metal paint.

The top itself is just home depot shower wall material $13 a 4 x 8 sheet.
    induce the curve by placing 2x4 under each side.
    I glued 1 inch urethane foam to the back or underside( home depot $24) remove the paper backing from one side of foam...which ever side is easiest to remove, score it with a steak knife and squeegee'd thickend resin (polyester and cabosil)) into it, then slapp a layer of matt and resin over it,
    hardwood pads with counter sunk T nuts are installed after the resin cures, just cut an opening, remove the foam and glass in place. I used oak but you could just use pine, its not getting wet up there. 3/8th bolts and T nuts.
    Or just use sunbrella material and install grommets etc.
    I don't like paying for marine composite materials , home made is just as good to me. The only reason for urethane foam is to withstand the poly resin, can't afford epoxy.

Total project was less than $300. Heres a slideshow that has pics of the hardware, I used oak pads for the footers , I just re-did the stringers and don't any more holes through the deck. The verticals are bolted to the side of the console and thats where it gets most of its rigidity from.
    http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...w&t=1264105127
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Jonesg,

I personally wanted to thank you for sharing your project. I hope as your TIG skills develop, you can show your progress on the LONGEVITY forum on WeldingWeb.

We appreciate your business.

Simon
    LONGEVITY
    Phone: 877-566-4462

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you jonesg!! My 200PI is coming next week. I'll share my learning progress photos as soon as I get everthing setup

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
    I'm a chef, so ......

I did this as a proof of concept, its made from 1 1/2" elec conduit from home depot, it will not withstand marine enviroments unless sprayed with galvi paints but I've seen one that is 5 yrs old already. However, I plan to do another with alum, thats why I got the tig welder and have been practicing every day.
    Wow , look I'm really good at welding alum.
    Now I'm getting the tig dialed in its getting better.

The elec conduit bends very easily, the 90 deg corners for the top are sold already bent so all you have to do is weld the straight peices in and the top frame is done. I bent mine by sticking the 10 foot lengths thru a railing and just pulling on it by hand, its quite soft. As long as you keep the bends shallow there isn't a danger of kinking. I mig welded it with a Lincoln 100 weldpac, a very cheap welder.

You'll need a metal cutoff saw (get a handheld milwauki off craigslist) and a grinder with a stainless brush wheel to remove the galvi from the weld areas, you cannot safely weld galvi at all, zinc vapor is deadly.
    I didn't polish, just a spray coat of outdoor grey krylon metal paint.

The top itself is just home depot shower wall material $13 a 4 x 8 sheet.
    induce the curve by placing 2x4 under each side.
    I glued 1 inch urethane foam to the back or underside( home depot $24) remove the paper backing from one side of foam...which ever side is easiest to remove, score it with a steak knife and squeegee'd thickend resin (polyester and cabosil)) into it, then slapp a layer of matt and resin over it,
    hardwood pads with counter sunk T nuts are installed after the resin cures, just cut an opening, remove the foam and glass in place. I used oak but you could just use pine, its not getting wet up there. 3/8th bolts and T nuts.
    Or just use sunbrella material and install grommets etc.
    I don't like paying for marine composite materials , home made is just as good to me. The only reason for urethane foam is to withstand the poly resin, can't afford epoxy.

Total project was less than $300. Heres a slideshow that has pics of the hardware, I used oak pads for the footers , I just re-did the stringers and don't any more holes through the deck. The verticals are bolted to the side of the console and thats where it gets most of its rigidity from.
    http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...w&t=1264105127
    You need a lot of Alu practice before your next project. Personally i would have waited til i got better to post any pics.

You will not remove Gal with a SS wire wheel on a angle grinder. Not effectively or properly.
    Gal fumes will not kill you but they will make you feel sick for a little while.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh thats my first time touching a tig with no idea how to even set the machine.
    I got hold of some scrap alum tube, but its very thin guage, making T joints is tricky.
    I immediately noticed more success when using pulse. I think it will be easier with heavier guage metal, theres no way to make anything structural with this flimsy stuff even if the welds were perfect. I won't be buying good alum tube for a yr anyway.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist