Page 137 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,425 of 3467

Thread: Trailer fail pics

  1. #3401
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Wood makes houses strong, must be strong for a hitch then!

    That's about how far that thought went before they started building it.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  2. #3402
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    5,784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Who need steel just use wood and no welding need.
    It must be safe

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by hvw View Post
    The only thing that makes this deal safe to use are the eyebolts on there to hook the safety chains to

    Attachment 1735316

  3. #3403
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Not necessarily a fail, but it is trailer related, so I wanted to ask for opinions in this thread. This looks like a DIY version of the MAX couplers, and seems like a potential good project for a lightweight trailer (say 1500 pounds):
    https://tventuring.com/under-usd50-d...upler-t65.html

    What do you guys think?

  4. Likes Bruce, mcspeed liked this post
  5. #3404
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Richmond/Midlothian,VA
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Your right, not a failure!
    Bruce
    The Welding Chef
    Lincoln Weld-Pack 3200
    NORWELD Stick
    Stanford Hill Farm

  6. #3405
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sonoma County, Northern California
    Posts
    1,015
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Not necessarily a fail, but it is trailer related, so I wanted to ask for opinions in this thread. This looks like a DIY version of the MAX couplers, and seems like a potential good project for a lightweight trailer (say 1500 pounds):
    https://tventuring.com/under-usd50-d...upler-t65.html

    What do you guys think?
    An interesting fabrication project, but I think it's unnecessary. I built HF's tiny trailer that size for offroad use. (In fact that may be the HF half ton chassis under that trailer in the photo). The photo is unrealistic. Our mining claim in the Sierras had several spots with so much side slope that backing a trailer out would be impossible, it would be necessary to unhitch and turn the trailer around by hand, and move it off the trail, to get my first-generation Trooper back out if I reached an impassable spot. Then drag the trailer with a chain until I could get the Trooper turned around and re-hitch. So I gave this some thought, before building a trailer so light that we could rassle it around by hand if necessary.

    There's no way that Jeep pickup, or most any highway vehicle, could go over a change in pitch similar to what that photo represents. Tires on diagonally opposite corners of the vehicle would be hanging in air a foot off the ground then add the inevitable side-slope where you would encounter such terrain. If you met such a change in pitch and had a positraction differential to power whatever wheels are touching the ground, applying enough power to climb over such an obstacle would likely move you sideways as well as forward. You would likely need to winch out of such a spot - if you can find something to anchor to.

    In summary - that looks like a nice solution in search of a need that is unrealistic. You can't drive over anything where such flexibility would be useful. Twisting of a lightweight trailer's tongue adds to the ball hitch range to give enough range for anything you could drive over. Maybe it would be helpful behind a 4-wheeler or something with huge suspension travel.

    Photo - 3-point turn to go back out, at the only wide spot near our camp.
    Name:  PIC00512 Trooper Turrnaround.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  179.8 KB
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

  7. Likes wquiles liked this post
  8. #3406
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    An interesting fabrication project, but I think it's unnecessary. I built HF's tiny trailer that size for offroad use. (In fact that may be the HF half ton chassis under that trailer in the photo). The photo is unrealistic. Our mining claim in the Sierras had several spots with so much side slope that backing a trailer out would be impossible, it would be necessary to unhitch and turn the trailer around by hand, and move it off the trail, to get my first-generation Trooper back out if I reached an impassable spot. Then drag the trailer with a chain until I could get the Trooper turned around and re-hitch. So I gave this some thought, before building a trailer so light that we could rassle it around by hand if necessary.

    There's no way that Jeep pickup, or most any highway vehicle, could go over a change in pitch similar to what that photo represents. Tires on diagonally opposite corners of the vehicle would be hanging in air a foot off the ground then add the inevitable side-slope where you would encounter such terrain. If you met such a change in pitch and had a positraction differential to power whatever wheels are touching the ground, applying enough power to climb over such an obstacle would likely move you sideways as well as forward. You would likely need to winch out of such a spot - if you can find something to anchor to.

    In summary - that looks like a nice solution in search of a need that is unrealistic. You can't drive over anything where such flexibility would be useful. Twisting of a lightweight trailer's tongue adds to the ball hitch range to give enough range for anything you could drive over. Maybe it would be helpful behind a 4-wheeler or something with huge suspension travel.
    Thank you. That is great feedback

    I had also seen this youtube video, which is where I first saw the idea of an overland articulating hitch:



    I want to eventually build a tiny/small trailer similar to the one in your photo for some of our camping trips, and in some campsites we have needed both the clearance and 4x4 capability that my 2010 4Runner has, so I have been wondering if I "needed" more articulation at the hitch, hence why I am asking for advice and guidance.

  9. Likes mcspeed liked this post
  10. #3407
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    5,784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    A simple just use a pintle hitch.

    Dave

    https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/ima...27549AA-21.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Thank you. That is great feedback

    I had also seen this youtube video, which is where I first saw the idea of an overland articulating hitch:



    I want to eventually build a tiny/small trailer similar to the one in your photo for some of our camping trips, and in some campsites we have needed both the clearance and 4x4 capability that my 2010 4Runner has, so I have been wondering if I "needed" more articulation at the hitch, hence why I am asking for advice and guidance.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 01-14-2022 at 10:39 AM.

  11. Likes wquiles liked this post
  12. #3408
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sonoma County, Northern California
    Posts
    1,015
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    A simple just use a pintle hitch.

    Dave
    Yeah. A pintle hitch is what is really used in an application that needs it.

    Relative to towing with that 4-Runner - I had thought the little 8 inch wheels/tires on the little HF trailer wouldn't give enough ground clearance. But what I found in actual use was the trailer is so small that both tires climb over the same obstacle. I don't remember a single time that the axle scraped a high spot. And, I decided the trailer was light enough that the axle would just toboggan over any obstruction, without damage, that the vehicle could drive over.

    Kinda related: I put an IBC Tote (275 gallons) on an identical HF trailer for watering new trees in my orchard. 8 inch tires were a nuisance over plowed ground, the trailer ran embedded several inches in the soft dust. My little 18 hp tractor struggled to pull that 2400 lbs, loaded, uphill on soft ground. 12 inch skinny boat trailer tires would have been only slightly better. I put on 12 inch car tires (Chevy Vega?) that are far wider. That works better to reduce the plowing effect.

    8 inch tires
    Name:  P1670344rWatering-SteepSlope.JPG
Views: 1479
Size:  175.6 KB

    12 inch automotive tires
    Name:  KIMG0714rWatering OnSlope2.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  324.6 KB
    Last edited by California; 01-14-2022 at 04:11 PM.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

  13. Likes whtbaron, wquiles, _Weldman_ liked this post
  14. #3409
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    A simple just use a pintle hitch.

    Dave

    https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/ima...27549AA-21.jpg
    Thank you Dave - yet another option I was not aware off - much appreciated

  15. #3410
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Here's a different approach. Possibly a cheaper version of the swivel hitch.....................

    Name:  272912892_5057269487626385_3150747047926317_n.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  90.6 KB

  16. Likes whtbaron, _Weldman_ liked this post
  17. #3411
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    ...so that's what those chains are for.

  18. Likes California liked this post
  19. #3412
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    6,938
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by bfjou812 View Post
    Here's a different approach. Possibly a cheaper version of the swivel hitch.....................

    Name:  272912892_5057269487626385_3150747047926317_n.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  90.6 KB
    That should be posted over on the “Unistrut Thread”. lol


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  20. #3413
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    8,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    That should be posted over on the “Unistrut Thread”. lol


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is not Unistrut, that is stolen signpost. Somewhere, there is a wreck because a warning sign wasn't there.

    Actually, the price of strut, It'd be cheaper to buy a proper hitch than using strut.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  21. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
  22. #3414
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    6,938
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    That is not Unistrut, that is stolen signpost. Somewhere, there is a wreck because a warning sign wasn't there.

    Actually, the price of strut, It'd be cheaper to buy a proper hitch than using strut.
    Actually it is a Unistrut product. Telestrut. Used for signpost applications as you mentioned.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  23. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  24. #3415
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    5,784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    It could work
    I would keep the speed to 5mph just safety.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by bfjou812 View Post
    Here's a different approach. Possibly a cheaper version of the swivel hitch.....................

    Name:  272912892_5057269487626385_3150747047926317_n.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  90.6 KB

  25. #3416
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by bfjou812 View Post
    Here's a different approach. Possibly a cheaper version of the swivel hitch.....................

    Name:  272912892_5057269487626385_3150747047926317_n.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  90.6 KB
    They have no idea what they are doing. Your supposed to use the stop sign you stole it from and bolt it top and bottom so no one knows you stole it in the first place.

    And is that my dog chain they used?


    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  26. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
  27. #3417
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    5,784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Just go slow 🐌 it should work OK might on a good day. OK 200 pound trail and 3 mph maximum speed 😳 and 🙏 🤲 🕍 🕌 ⛪ 🛕 🙏 to all.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    They have no idea what they are doing. Your supposed to use the stop sign you stole it from and bolt it top and bottom so no one knows you stole it in the first place.

    And is that my dog chain they used?


    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  28. #3418
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    When all else fails............................


    Name:  272657870_2736006353211940_8234597374196187149_n.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  48.0 KB

  29. #3419
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Plymouth ID
    Posts
    1,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    My dad was going to use some of that telestrut to make jack stands for for the track underneath doublewides for when your pulling the 2 halves together. i threw a walleyed fit over that, told hime he had better buy life insurance for his guys because he was going to kill them and i wasnt going to help build them. he finally got the message and is doing it with timber stacks now which is industry practice. Most of the time its powdered butt syndrome and i just let him do it his way until it fails multiple times, but that one scared me.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  30. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
  31. #3420
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    5,784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Just think of time it took to the tong jack
    I like using the same size rim on both the pickup and trailer

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by bfjou812 View Post
    When all else fails............................


    Name:  272657870_2736006353211940_8234597374196187149_n.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  48.0 KB

  32. Likes bfjou812 liked this post
  33. #3421
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sonoma County, Northern California
    Posts
    1,015
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    I can't figure out how to link this, but it belongs here.

    Guy is towing a box trailer with a pickup. Some fool crashes him from behind and runs up inside the box trailer. They overturn and skid into the wall. Funny title, too.


    https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCar...g_steptrailer/
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

  34. #3422
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    2,961
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    I like that jackleg repair for a spare, thats clever.

  35. #3423
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bandera,TX / MN
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    I can't figure out how to link this, but it belongs here.

    Guy is towing a box trailer with a pickup. Some fool crashes him from behind and runs up inside the box trailer. They overturn and skid into the wall. Funny title, too.


    https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCar...g_steptrailer/
    There are no words to describe this!

  36. #3424
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    8,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    I can't figure out how to link this, but it belongs here.

    Guy is towing a box trailer with a pickup. Some fool crashes him from behind and runs up inside the box trailer. They overturn and skid into the wall. Funny title, too.


    https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCar...g_steptrailer/
    Looks like a domestic dispute to me.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  37. #3425
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,047
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    ...and THAT is how baby harbor freight trailers are made.

    Trailer sex ed 101

    (Life uh, finds a way)

  38. Likes California, bfjou812 liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,653,215,460.83781 seconds with 13 queries