Page 137 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137
Results 3,401 to 3,409 of 3409

Thread: Trailer fail pics

  1. #3401
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Wood makes houses strong, must be strong for a hitch then!

    That's about how far that thought went before they started building it.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  2. #3402
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    4,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Who need steel just use wood and no welding need.
    It must be safe

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by hvw View Post
    The only thing that makes this deal safe to use are the eyebolts on there to hook the safety chains to

    Attachment 1735316

  3. #3403
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Not necessarily a fail, but it is trailer related, so I wanted to ask for opinions in this thread. This looks like a DIY version of the MAX couplers, and seems like a potential good project for a lightweight trailer (say 1500 pounds):
    https://tventuring.com/under-usd50-d...upler-t65.html

    What do you guys think?

  4. Likes Bruce, mcspeed liked this post
  5. #3404
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Richmond/Midlothian,VA
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Your right, not a failure!
    Bruce
    The Welding Chef
    Lincoln Weld-Pack 3200
    NORWELD Stick
    Stanford Hill Farm

  6. #3405
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sonoma County
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Not necessarily a fail, but it is trailer related, so I wanted to ask for opinions in this thread. This looks like a DIY version of the MAX couplers, and seems like a potential good project for a lightweight trailer (say 1500 pounds):
    https://tventuring.com/under-usd50-d...upler-t65.html

    What do you guys think?
    An interesting fabrication project, but I think it's unnecessary. I built HF's tiny trailer that size for offroad use. (In fact that may be the HF half ton chassis under that trailer in the photo). The photo is unrealistic. Our mining claim in the Sierras had several spots with so much side slope that backing a trailer out would be impossible, it would be necessary to unhitch and turn the trailer around by hand, and move it off the trail, to get my first-generation Trooper back out if I reached an impassable spot. Then drag the trailer with a chain until I could get the Trooper turned around and re-hitch. So I gave this some thought, before building a trailer so light that we could rassle it around by hand if necessary.

    There's no way that Jeep pickup, or most any highway vehicle, could go over a change in pitch similar to what that photo represents. Tires on diagonally opposite corners of the vehicle would be hanging in air a foot off the ground then add the inevitable side-slope where you would encounter such terrain. If you met such a change in pitch and had a positraction differential to power whatever wheels are touching the ground, applying enough power to climb over such an obstacle would likely move you sideways as well as forward. You would likely need to winch out of such a spot - if you can find something to anchor to.

    In summary - that looks like a nice solution in search of a need that is unrealistic. You can't drive over anything where such flexibility would be useful. Twisting of a lightweight trailer's tongue adds to the ball hitch range to give enough range for anything you could drive over. Maybe it would be helpful behind a 4-wheeler or something with huge suspension travel.

    Photo - 3-point turn to go back out, at the only wide spot near our camp.
    Name:  PIC00512 Trooper Turrnaround.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  179.8 KB
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

  7. Likes wquiles liked this post
  8. #3406
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    An interesting fabrication project, but I think it's unnecessary. I built HF's tiny trailer that size for offroad use. (In fact that may be the HF half ton chassis under that trailer in the photo). The photo is unrealistic. Our mining claim in the Sierras had several spots with so much side slope that backing a trailer out would be impossible, it would be necessary to unhitch and turn the trailer around by hand, and move it off the trail, to get my first-generation Trooper back out if I reached an impassable spot. Then drag the trailer with a chain until I could get the Trooper turned around and re-hitch. So I gave this some thought, before building a trailer so light that we could rassle it around by hand if necessary.

    There's no way that Jeep pickup, or most any highway vehicle, could go over a change in pitch similar to what that photo represents. Tires on diagonally opposite corners of the vehicle would be hanging in air a foot off the ground then add the inevitable side-slope where you would encounter such terrain. If you met such a change in pitch and had a positraction differential to power whatever wheels are touching the ground, applying enough power to climb over such an obstacle would likely move you sideways as well as forward. You would likely need to winch out of such a spot - if you can find something to anchor to.

    In summary - that looks like a nice solution in search of a need that is unrealistic. You can't drive over anything where such flexibility would be useful. Twisting of a lightweight trailer's tongue adds to the ball hitch range to give enough range for anything you could drive over. Maybe it would be helpful behind a 4-wheeler or something with huge suspension travel.
    Thank you. That is great feedback

    I had also seen this youtube video, which is where I first saw the idea of an overland articulating hitch:



    I want to eventually build a tiny/small trailer similar to the one in your photo for some of our camping trips, and in some campsites we have needed both the clearance and 4x4 capability that my 2010 4Runner has, so I have been wondering if I "needed" more articulation at the hitch, hence why I am asking for advice and guidance.

  9. Likes mcspeed liked this post
  10. #3407
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    4,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    A simple just use a pintle hitch.

    Dave

    https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/ima...27549AA-21.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Thank you. That is great feedback

    I had also seen this youtube video, which is where I first saw the idea of an overland articulating hitch:



    I want to eventually build a tiny/small trailer similar to the one in your photo for some of our camping trips, and in some campsites we have needed both the clearance and 4x4 capability that my 2010 4Runner has, so I have been wondering if I "needed" more articulation at the hitch, hence why I am asking for advice and guidance.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 5 Days Ago at 11:39 AM.

  11. Likes wquiles liked this post
  12. #3408
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sonoma County
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    A simple just use a pintle hitch.

    Dave
    Yeah. A pintle hitch is what is really used in an application that needs it.

    Relative to towing with that 4-Runner - I had thought the little 8 inch wheels/tires on the little HF trailer wouldn't give enough ground clearance. But what I found in actual use was the trailer is so small that both tires climb over the same obstacle. I don't remember a single time that the axle scraped a high spot. And, I decided the trailer was light enough that the axle would just toboggan over any obstruction, without damage, that the vehicle could drive over.

    Kinda related: I put an IBC Tote (275 gallons) on an identical HF trailer for watering new trees in my orchard. 8 inch tires were a nuisance over plowed ground, the trailer ran embedded several inches in the soft dust. My little 18 hp tractor struggled to pull that 2400 lbs, loaded, uphill on soft ground. 12 inch skinny boat trailer tires would have been only slightly better. I put on 12 inch car tires (Chevy Vega?) that are far wider. That works better to reduce the plowing effect.

    8 inch tires
    Name:  P1670344rWatering-SteepSlope.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  175.6 KB

    12 inch automotive tires
    Name:  KIMG0714rWatering OnSlope2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  324.6 KB
    Last edited by California; 4 Days Ago at 05:11 PM.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

  13. Likes whtbaron, wquiles liked this post
  14. #3409
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trailer fail pics

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    A simple just use a pintle hitch.

    Dave

    https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/ima...27549AA-21.jpg
    Thank you Dave - yet another option I was not aware off - much appreciated

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,642,622,033.00196 seconds with 14 queries